A warning about a 'soft' fake antivirus

Started by MT Hazard, October 23, 2009, 07:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

You may be aware of a fake anti virus program issuing virus alerts and prompting people to download the program.

Below is a list of names this program has been giving itself and the webpages/webcomics I encountered it.

Softguard

Softveteran - book of biff

This is not a complete list and neither does it mean that any webpages that it has appeared should be avoided, just bear it in mind.

So far I have avoided problems by just pressing the back button or closing the window before it can try and download anything.

Please add details of any encounters you have had with this Malware below so that others can be prepared.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

What platforms and architectures does it target?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

I have only experienced it using firefox on a windows xp set up but that does mean it others are safe. It seems to try and minimise firefox when it happens, I'm not sure if it is being forced to ask you if you want to download and other browsers would just let it through.

Alondro

Ah yes, I saw that one and guessed what it was.

I instantly shut down the program and did two virus scans immediately!  Fortunately, it didn't get me. 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Passive

hapless

That looks quite like an AVG v. pre-8 result window... I assume that's the fake ad?
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

MT Hazard

The ones I've getting have more of a 'windows' look to them, I'll get a screen shot next time I see it. However as the names are slightly different so it the appearance.

Valynth

rule of thumb:  if you don't recognize the program (as in:  you're the one who installed it) and it claims you have viruses, it's the virus.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on October 24, 2009, 12:45:01 PMrule of thumb:  if you don't recognize the program (as in:  you're the one who installed it) and it claims you have viruses, it's the virus.

Tell that to my mom, who *didn't* install the program, and who has in the past clicked on the ``Your computer now has 3,000 viruses'' banners (isn't that from Conficker?).

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on October 24, 2009, 03:02:38 PM
Quote from: Valynth on October 24, 2009, 12:45:01 PMrule of thumb:  if you don't recognize the program (as in:  you're the one who installed it) and it claims you have viruses, it's the virus.

Tell that to my mom, who *didn't* install the program, and who has in the past clicked on the ``Your computer now has 3,000 viruses'' banners (isn't that from Conficker?).

I'm just glad I finally have a computer separate from my folks, everyday there's about 350 or so viruses on theirs.  My new computer hasn't had a virus yet.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

MT Hazard

Do they have the same problem my dad has? He seems to have blind spot as far as having an anti-virus program is concerned and didn't feel we needed one a while back, now he's very slow to update or renew.