New Job

Started by Cogidubnus, September 29, 2009, 11:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

So, I recently got a new job, and because of it's nature felt like sharing. There are a lot of folks who work in the IT field here, and I've found myself working in a somewhat similar workplace, although my job is more manual labor than actually working with any of the computers.

I'm working at a place called EDS, which is apparently owned by HP, and as far as I can tell is some sort of giant server farm. From what they tell me, the equipment and software that runs the On-Star system is kept here. And American Airlines ticketing equipment. And 7-11's ATM equipment. So, mostly stuff that if I so much as breathe on I get fired.

My job and the job of the company I'm with is usually pulling cable beneath drop floors and connecting it up to server racks (which we don't build, but rather set up), and then to the servers themselves. This time we are doing something new, however.

We've been building this metal highway here on top of the racks, and later are going to pull all the cable down from them into the cabinets, rather than up from the floor. This is because, apparently, instead of cooling the whole room, they're going to enclose the cabinets in a smaller box and then cool the box to save money somehow. I wish them lucks in doing this.

This here is just a row of all the cabinets that will eventually hold servers and the like. The machine looking thing at the end of the hall is some monstrous AC called a Liebert with the paneling off. I assume they're still setting it up.

The downside to this job is that it's from 12:00 to 8:30, and it's a forty minute commute, so my time talking to peeps has suffered greatly, as has my time to write - but, anyhow, I thought I'd share this new experience here.

Tapewolf

You mean this EDS?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/07/eds_hmrc_tax_credit_fail/

>:3

Anyway, good luck, hope it goes well.

[Tries to decide if this strictly belongs in the Villa instead]

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 29, 2009, 12:01:59 PM
You mean this EDS?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/07/eds_hmrc_tax_credit_fail/

>:3

Er

I'm not sure, actually. The building is divided up between smarmy corporate carpets-and-cubicles in one half and somewhat utilitarian computer rooms in the other, and this is pretty much all I see. As to failing at life (and building a working computer system), they didn't inform me. Although I would not be surprised. :P

I would argue that it's really HP, so if it's not a printer, what are you doing hiring them anyway?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on September 29, 2009, 12:08:34 PM
As to failing at life (and building a working computer system), they didn't inform me. Although I would not be surprised. :P

I would argue that it's really HP, so if it's not a printer, what are you doing hiring them anyway?

I dunno, if I managed to screw the UK government out of £8bn for a £3bn system that didn't work, I'm not entirely sure I'd call it a 'failure'  :P

**EDIT**
And apparently the Villa was the better place for this.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Corgatha Taldorthar

So, lemme get this straight. You're a capable poet, and you do IT work?

Technical and language skills?

I can't decide if you're a genius or just jerking our chains abour  :U

No, seriously, congratulations. (unless you've already started hating your job. In which case, condolences)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Liebert, if I remember correctly, make APC systems, not AC. Was that a typo, or do they do cooling as well as power?

Or am I misremembering?

(not that it's hugely significant, mind. Merely me getting facts straight...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Cogidubnus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 29, 2009, 07:15:05 PM
Liebert, if I remember correctly, make APC systems, not AC. Was that a typo, or do they do cooling as well as power?

Or am I misremembering?

(not that it's hugely significant, mind. Merely me getting facts straight...)

From what I've seen, they do both. The machines at the end of the hall there are most certainly air conditioners. I have verified this myself. I have seen other pieces of equipment that are power supplies, however, and they are both made by the same company.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on September 29, 2009, 01:17:34 PM
No, seriously, congratulations. (unless you've already started hating your job. In which case, condolences)

Nah, the job is cake. Being around millions and millions of dollars of equipment, they want us to relax and keep ourselves calm as much as we can. I've never been at a job where the boss tells you to go on break to chill out every other hour or so. :B

Sprocketsdance

Wow Cogi, congrats! And good luck with everything ^_^  :boogie

ShadesFox

I could see that cable at the top of the room thing saving energy.  Might also go horribly wrong too, not sure.

I wish my job would let me relax more.  Crazy people everywhere.  And lots of horribly expensive computer systems there too.
The All Purpose Fox