9 (Partial spoilers)

Started by Rakala, September 09, 2009, 08:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

Okay, there's only one thing stupider than making a robot with enough power to take down the entire human race, free will and intelligence, and that's making a robot with enough power to take down the entire human race, free will, intelligence, and making it run on human souls. You would think you would be able to predict a problem with that. Even worse, the thing is built out of a combination of technology and black magic. That is the main villain in 9.

A small man made out of what appears to be hemp or burlap wakes up in a room, a dead man is covered in books and notes. He walks to the window, pushes is open and sees a ruined city. He notices another small man walking along on the ground, but finds he has no voice. He goes down to meet this mysterious man who gives him the ability to speak, soon the man is taken away by a large skull faced creature. That is all I'm going to reveal of the plot.

My overall opinion is this movie could have been very good, but they didn't have enough time to give you any emotional connection with the characters or enough time to expand on the plot. Whenever any of the characters died, I didn't really feel anything towards it. The monsters were scary and the large super computer robot thing had a giant unblinking HAL eye.

I was surprised by the main villain because it showed obvious signs of emotion. Whenever it was infuriated it would shoot lightning about and it showed signs of using psychological tactics. In a clip that shows the past of the movie, it shows the computer trying to protect it's creator, unfortunately it was torn away from him and forced to build weapons. So it seems that it was partially a victim.

rabid_fox

District 5 was the definitive 'District. Alan Rickman put in a performance of a lifetime.

Oh dear.

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

bill

Quote from: rabid_fox on September 09, 2009, 08:04:21 PM

District 5 was the definitive 'District. Alan Rickman put in a performance of a lifetime.
you are trolling the wrong thread

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Janus Whitefurr

From what I've heard, the original ten minute short (which I've seen) is better than the entirety of the movie (which I haven't seen). The short had no speaking, no backstory (mysterious atmosphere) and was eeriely beautiful in its own way. I just can't imagine that being turned into a movie.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Alondro

It's often the case that what works for a short story/film does very poorly when the attempt is made to convert it into something full-length.  Not because it can't work, but often the writers and directors just don't seem to know what to do with it and it ends up rambling about nothing for an hour or more.

"Jumanji", for example.

In this case, it seems that "9" ended up turning into some sort of fusion of "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Terminator".
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

rabid_fox

The ticklespiders in Jumanji put a smile on my face.

Oh dear.

Rakala

They actually used a different bad guy from the short film. I mean that robot shows up, but he's not the main villain.

Keleth

I remember watching Jumanji and thinking "HOLY MOLY I LOVE THIS MOVIE!"

Then I watched It again recently and still liked it.

. . Then I watched "Hook" and I was all <3
Help! I'm gay!

ShadesFox

The movie really does have the feeling that it was tortured into the length it reached.  The plot was very thin and the ending gave no satisfaction.  I'm more upset at the time I spent on the movie then anything else.
The All Purpose Fox

Rakala

One thing you have to give it though, they never get off topic even once. The movie just keeps moving with the story giving no pause to build any kind of pointless emotional connection to the characters or to give any reason for the romance between 7 and 9 other than they save each others lives a few times. No distractions at all from the plot.

Forestcat

I'm actually glad I found this thread - that's one of the movies the hubby wants to see. Fortunately we may be able to nick it free of charge methinks. It sounds like it'll bore me tho. Hm.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Forestcat on September 11, 2009, 11:42:55 PM
I'm actually glad I found this thread - that's one of the movies the hubby wants to see. Fortunately we may be able to nick it free of charge methinks. It sounds like it'll bore me tho. Hm.

Watch the voiceless ten minute short on Youtube before you decide whether or not to see the movie. If you think the short can't be improved on, you'd probably want to give it a miss.

I know that's how I'm justifying my disinterest in the movie. "Ew, it has -voices-." :b
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Kafzeil

Quote from: Alondro on September 10, 2009, 02:12:27 PM
It's often the case that what works for a short story/film does very poorly when the attempt is made to convert it into something full-length.  Not because it can't work, but often the writers and directors just don't seem to know what to do with it and it ends up rambling about nothing for an hour or more.

"Jumanji", for example.

A better example is A Sound of Thunder. A Great short story  by Ray Bradbury turned into a ugly mess of Hollywood Evolution and Bad Special Effects.

And that...thing Ben Kingsley wore on his head...
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

rabid_fox

Quote from: Drathorin on September 10, 2009, 10:27:26 PM
I remember watching Jumanji and thinking "HOLY MOLY I LOVE THIS MOVIE!"

Then I watched It again recently and still liked it.

. . Then I watched "Hook" and I was all <3

It's got Robin Willams and board games - that's like...nearly the perfect night in!

Oh dear.