The Line in the Stars (OOC) [PG/14] - Closed

Started by Azlan, July 20, 2006, 11:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

I will be posting something Friday, I haven't the time today and tomorrow if a bit busy.  Might get something out in the day if I have the time though.

We are almost wrapped up here and can get to Shachza... if he hasn't lost interest yet.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Shachza

Zzzzzzzzz...  *snkkkk*  Wha...?  Oh sorry.  I'm awake!

:)

Not to worry, I'm very interested in playing this character.

PS  Did you get my last PM Azlan?
            <-- #1 that is!

Azlan

Is there any one here who might be willing to try their hand at a relatively simplified explanation of space flight by reaction drive systems?  Address such things mass and inertia, etc. 

Prof B Hunnydew

A general source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_engine

A reaction engine is an engine which provides propulsion by expelling reaction mass, in accordance with Newton's third law of motion. This law of motion is most commonly paraphrased as: "For every action force there is an equal, but opposite, reaction force".

Examples include both duct engines and rocket engines, and more uncommon variations such as Hall effect thrusters, ion drives and mass drivers. Duct engines are obviously not used for space propulsion due to the lack of air; however some proposed spacecraft have these kinds of engines to assist takeoff and landing.

Space Propulsion :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacecraft_propulsion
Who needs to know?
PBH

ShadesFox

If I had a better idea of the audience I could whip up something a bit more technical.  For instance, are they allergic to basic algebra?  If I start chunking around SI units would they grok it?
The All Purpose Fox

SquirrelWizard

if its needed for this RP Robert could probably explain it in basic layman's terms.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Azlan

Mostly as applicable to this RP without much mathematics.  I need to explain such concepts as why it is bad to accelerate too quickly in unprotected vehicles, how acceleration works in space, directional changes while preserving current 'speed', linear and angular momentum. 

I just need a high-level design, i.e. an overview, without the hard science and formulas.

SquirrelWizard

from my understanding, and this is a very basic understanding...

Sudden acceleration can cause problems in several ways.

First, is that any unsecured equipment/cargo in the vessel will fly in the opposite direction of the acceleration thanks to inertia.

Second, it can cause structural damage to the rest of the ship, as technically the engine of the ship is moving before the rest of the ship is. Since most ships are a conglomerate (or mess) of smaller pieces fused together to make a bigger object; any acceleration beyond the safe zone could result in the ship rattling apart under the stresses from the engine. In an atmosphere this can be further compounded by friction from the air where panels rip off creating a hole that just grows bigger as more and more panels are peeled off.

Third, the human body (and for RP pruposes this would apply to some degree with the other races) can only take so many Gs of acceleration before they lose conciousness.

Acceleration in space is different in what affects your acceleration and speed. Since space has little to no atmosphere there is no air resistance to slow you down. Instead there is gravity wells. A ship accelerating in space is affected by nearby wells (typically from planets and stars) which can accelerate/decelerate a ship depending on wether its entering or leaving the well. It is possible to slingshot around a planet using its gravity well to add or decrease speed, but it is subject to some special rules.

Anybody else can feel free to toss in anything I missed. I can guess at the linear/angular momentum but it would just be a rough guess.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Lisky

to further elaborate on your third example, the human body gets squished, which shrinks blood-vessels, allowing less oxygen to the brain.  The unconsciousness comes when the brain doesn't get enough oxygen.  Blood is a liquid, it has different inertial properties than the solid structure...

Beyond what you've mentioned, there's other things to consider as well.  if the engines don't distribute force perfectly evenly, even the most slightly misaligned engine would cause roll as well thrust. Partial failure to the engines could cause further stress, by delivering awkwardly aligned force, creating Gs in someplaces, neg-G in others, and putting the ship in a completely out of control spin... something akin to a rocket with no means of guidance...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Inumo

'Nother little thing, with slingshotting, the reason why it works is that you're burning fuel at the same time as you're entering the gravity well; all the slingshot really does is keep a neutral amount of acceleration or deceleration. Burning the fuel just lightens you up enough that the acceleration you were at effects you more.

Azlan

Did I mention it is bad to try and have NPCs try and skate you past important points.  It is a complication now, you can still get out of it, especially with three PCs there. 

Heimdall is all very Phoenix Wright with the point and exclamation.  Things are still at the light stage and haven't turned for sinister quite yet.

Chairtastic

I feel I'm pushing the limits with the Jack and Harriet thing.  :shifty  But it makes for such comedic relief.  Anyways.  Hurrah for plot convenience! 

ShadesFox

Curious PBH, both of your last posts look the same.  Am I missing something or...?
The All Purpose Fox

Prof B Hunnydew

Sorry my computer when out when I was posting last night I thought my post didn't get on the thread. 

I add a new post....
PBH

Azlan

Been a bit busy as of late.  I will work on getting something up soon.  I may have something tomorrow, though Thursdays are marathon anime nights, Friday should see activity definitely.

Prof B Hunnydew

Oh No  
No Neko girls for you Loki... Not until Your work is done...

:mowcookie
Nova...PBH

ShadesFox

Heh, now there is something I've not done in a while, anime marathon.  Then again, I've not seen much recently that I would want to sit through long enough to qualify for marathon status...

Also, curious, is Meany still in?
The All Purpose Fox

Chairtastic

I live.  Except having Harriet convienently wake up twice within minutes of each other seems like pushing it, and Azlan does a better job of handling the NPC crew, anyway.

In short, I'm being lazy.  :B

Azlan

I live again...

Shachza can post the appropriate entrance and setup post as previously discussed.  There may be a bit of a lag between the two groups meeting though.

SquirrelWizard

PBH, I think Azlan is separating Robert from the rest of the group, so he wouldn't be there to talk about the control panel.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: SquirrelWizard on September 14, 2010, 11:10:58 PM
PBH, I think Azlan is separating Robert from the rest of the group, so he wouldn't be there to talk about the control panel.

Yes, I forgot, i fix it and My post is finally done right.... I couldn't get five numbers yesterday to complete my post.  So, I updated/corrected on the fly... Which maybe, how I do almost everything...

PBH

Azlan

I shall be posting soon, life likes to keep me busy and away from RPing.  Darn life, I eat your sherbet nyah!

ShadesFox

Don't eat it all at once, or your head will hurt and you can't very well post then can you D:<
The All Purpose Fox

ShadesFox

The All Purpose Fox

Azlan

I have been extremely busy at work as of lately and at home our cable modem died.  Things will be clear Wednesday and I will get the ball rolling again.

Prof B Hunnydew

Azlan 

Loki  MOther .....Anyone?

Hoping you still have your lights on

Love Bam

Azlan

Yes, still here.  Now that Lushin has put something up I will move onward.  Standby.

Azlan

Oi Lushin, Miyuki... the shapely, attractive human female of apparently Asian descent, is the one who came over and spoke to Doc.  Magick was speaking about him, but more over where the rest of Harriet's menagerie is clustered.

Lushin

Alright, alright I'll fix it. Been a long day and I'm half awake.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Shachza

Azlan, I just want to note that La'orth's fighter shouldn't be broadcasting any distress signal.

Quote from: Shachza on October 05, 2010, 01:52:28 PM
"...  Keep emissions low, sensors on passive, and no broadcasting."

After a few minutes of VI-controlled flight he dropped the distress beacon behind the fighter but left it off.  Considering his initial scans, even an intact spheroid that small would stand out to anyone who apprached his entry point.  ...

He is using active sensor sweeps, but I didn't have him broadcasting any message yet.  As for the beacon, I intended that it was dropped in a deactivated mode near where La'orth entered the system.  If anyone were to enter near where he did then there would be a massively dispersed field of space dust with a shiny new but dormant Korsinian beacon sitting nearby.  This was meant mainly as a signal to ships that passed near La'orth's entry point.  (In the hopes that a Korsinian rescue ship would arrive there, find it, and realize that he's around somewhere.  Of course he doesn't know about the station's destruction.)

It's fine if he's detected, but unless the VI turned itself into an AI and is acting on it's own, a distress beacon from La'orth shouldn't be why.

P.S.  Damnit Shade!  I clicked that Youtube link and hurt myself laughing at the scene you wrote.  It's a good owie...
            <-- #1 that is!