A music recommendation

Started by Azlan, July 20, 2006, 09:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

I've actually found that song [7:00 News / Silent Night] to be a bit hopeful, in a odd way. Sorta puts a hole in the "Things were so much better back then and now we're all circling the drain" school of thought.

Leafar

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 03, 2006, 06:12:18 PM
Meh, there's better songs on Met2 than "Through Her Eyes".

Like "Home", for instance.

mmm...upload it for me?
about through her eyes...i love it so much...

bill

Just burnt some of my favorite vocal preformances of all time on a CD. Included:

Claire Torry - Great Gig in the Sky  (No comment)
Roger Daltrey - Love Reign O'er Me  (Likewise)
Geoff Tate - The Mission  (Amazing stuff on the end of the second verse. Tate was great at slipping in and out of falsetto quickly, see "Revolution Calling")
Jim Morrison - When the Music's Over (Always been a fan of Jim's voice)
Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone
Mick Jagger - Sympathy For The Devil (Best RS song  :evar . Perfect lyrics for Mick's voice; full of swagger.)
Ian Gillan - Child In Time

Chosen with the help of the great DigitalDreamDoor.com lists.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 03, 2006, 07:02:41 PM
I've actually found that song [7:00 News / Silent Night] to be a bit hopeful, in a odd way. Sorta puts a hole in the "Things were so much better back then and now we're all circling the drain" school of thought.

Yeah. Instead it's "we've been circling the drain for the last 400 years and Bush just pulled the plug out" ....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Wiggy

Ha. One of those things that sounds like one thing, but is actually the other.

Anyone here heard of Matthew Good Band? Their pretty good, actually. lol

Tapewolf

Quote from: Wiggy on August 03, 2006, 06:29:56 PM
Oh. And David Gilmour's On an Island album is truly great to any of you's that like Pink Floyd.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/news/?y=06&id=0101_2

Did this track make it onto the album?  If so, I'm getting it.
I'm not sure why they felt the need to lock two A827s together to record it, though - it's fairly sparse, so one would have been quite sufficient. (Assuming it isn't just a video effect like the annoying stick man.)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

I'd miss Waters' writing too much, though.  :(

Wiggy

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 04, 2006, 04:24:15 PM
Quote from: Wiggy on August 03, 2006, 06:29:56 PM
Oh. And David Gilmour's On an Island album is truly great to any of you's that like Pink Floyd.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/news/?y=06&id=0101_2

Did this track make it onto the album?  If so, I'm getting it.
I'm not sure why they felt the need to lock two A827s together to record it, though - it's fairly sparse, so one would have been quite sufficient. (Assuming it isn't just a video effect like the annoying stick man.)
They did include the song on a special release of the album. But I don't know much about it really. I read on http://brain-damage.co.uk of some contest for it, but that was awhile ago. Maybe you'd find a copy kicking somewhere.

bill

OMG, LastFM Neighbor Radio kicks ass, It's feeding me a continuous stream of awesome songs.
(Now playing - Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (I - VII)

Leafar

bill

Hilary

Going all the way back to BSC, I like them a lot, thanks for the recommendation. You probably knew this already, but they were the single of the week on itunes a couple weeks back... convenient for me. ^^ I was singing 'Lonely Train' in the grocery store tonight. Under my breath, of course (well, except for that time near the ramen where no one was around). *shifty eyes*
I just learned recently that there's going to be a progressive rock festival-thing in September, about 45 minutes away from where I live. Only downside is, tickets are pretty expensive. But I shall find a way to go nonetheless! [/crazed perseverance]

Leafar

Miaka

I'm liking Black Stone Cherry so far, if anything, the instrumentals are very good, and it's one of the few bands in that style who's singer doesn't just growl. being able to understand lyrics is always a plus.

bill

Just Played - Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

To be honest, I never considered this Genesis' best album, giving that honor to Lamb. This is a wonderful album though, with only one easly skippable weak spot. Best tracks include Dancing With the Moonlight Knight, The Battle of Epping Forest, and The Cinema Show.

Popped in - Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Hilary

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 06, 2006, 08:00:27 PM
Popped in - Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Hmmm, that sounds good right about now. *follows suit* What the... There's a massive ball of cat fur in my CD tray. How do these things happen? Oh, I bet I know... *stomps after my cat* What have I told you about listening to Pink Floyd with out me?

bill

I would like to recommend the Faeries Aire and Death Waltz.
Page 1
Not page 2

Azlan

Pink Floyd is most definitely a definitive sound of its time, and I'm amazed at how many younger people pay homage to them.

Metalica, nothing to say... other then I must always mention them, my favorite group of all time.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Kasarn

Quote from: Azlan on August 16, 2006, 09:42:16 PM
Pink Floyd is most definitely a definitive sound of its time, and I'm amazed at how many younger people pay homage to them.

Pink Floyd is a namedrop group. It doesn't matter if you've ever listened to a Pink Floyd song or not, you have to drop their name in somewhere or you aren't cool :)

bill

Quote from: Kasarn on August 16, 2006, 10:57:35 PM
Quote from: Azlan on August 16, 2006, 09:42:16 PM

Pink Floyd is a namedrop group. It doesn't matter if you've ever listened to a Pink Floyd song or not, you have to drop their name in somewhere or you aren't cool :)
That's kinda like the oppisite of The Beatles. Cool people hate The Beatles.

Hilary

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 16, 2006, 10:59:35 PM
I am not ashamed of my love... I really want the Abbey Road poster.

I haven't listened to a lot of their other music, but I like 'Inertiatic ESP'  by The Mars Volta a lot. *eyes signature*
'Televators' is good, too.

Azlan

Quote from: Kasarn on August 16, 2006, 10:57:35 PM

Right, I find it hard to consider a group cool that my parents listened to... heck, my dad met my mother while looking for the Pink Floyd concert in LA way back when.

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 16, 2006, 10:59:35 PM

I hate the Beatles and I am so not cool... hmmm, that just makes me a complete loser... I better try liking the Beatles again... not.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Leafar

so if you like Beatles you're no cool?????
aw, man...
anyways now listening: Pulp - This is Hardcore

Lysander

For some reason I never liked much of any music I know is from the 60's. The only stuff I know from before then are really old classical things I don't like.

Some other people/groups I didn't think to make note of before would be:
Yanni (classical/orchestral/new age)
Greg Tuby (same as above but more soothing)
Amethystium (same as above)
Shpongle (...different)
Blue Man Group (mostly varying kinds of rock)
Rob Dougan (Down Tempo or something, did the rave music for Matrix part 2)
I've Sound and counterparts (nearly everything)
:januscat
TytajLucheek

Hilary

My musical tastes skip around a lot. Mostly, I don't proclaim loyalty to single bands, but I just like single songs, some from almost every genre.

bill

Purchasing Today:

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 18, 2006, 07:05:22 PM
Purchasing Today:
Permanent Waves
A Farewell to Kings
..the latter of which was taped at Rockfield in Monmouth.  I'm not even going to bother asking how much their sessions are.  Maybe if I get rich..

Now.  Permanent Waves I wasn't overly impressed with.  The first side is okay, and Jacob's Ladder the highlight of the album as far as I'm concerned.  They did a cool live version of Natural Science on the Rio DVD, with a bizarre display of mitosis and elementary particles projected on the screens.

Farewell to Kings is okay.  It's highlight is Xanadu.  The others aren't bad, but I'd heard most of them before so my expectations were a little coloured.  Cygnus X-1, oh, I like the start with that weird echo trick and the ending where he enters the Hole.

My favourite version of Xanadu is the live one on Exit Stage Left as it has a more sensible arrangement on the minimoog.  It doesn't have the sparrows though.
(They did a short version in Manchester 2004.  Practically the entire audience stood up and joined in with the word 'Xanaduuuuuuu.........')

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

Would you believe that none of the music stores in my area had Farewell To Kings?  :<

I'm really liking PW right now; On some Rush sites, saying that Moving Pictures isn't their best album is a shooting offense. Which is rather odd, since I never got what was so good about Moving Pictures. 2112 and Hemispheres were much better, IMO.

bill

DANGER: READING THIS MAY CAUSE INVOLUNTARY PUNCHING OF COMPUTER SCREEN

QuoteHILTON'S TEARS OVER HER OWN ALBUM
From World Entertainment News Network
August 22, 2006 7:16 AM EDT

Aspiring pop star PARIS HILTON is so thrilled with her debut album PARIS, she cries with joy whenever she hears it.

The hotel heiress insists her disc is truly great, and can't believe it has been embraced on the club circuit.

But she knows clubbers will only dance to her tracks if they don't realise it is her.

Hilton says, "I, like, cry, when I listen to it, it's so good.

"People love it. Everyone's like, 'Who is this?' I don't tell. Because I don't want someone putting their phone up and recording it and making a ring tone off of it.

"I think when people don't know it's me, they won't judge it. But if they know it's me, then they'll be like, 'Ugh.' They won't even dance." (ZJS/WNWCYA/GES)

Why are some people allowed to make music?

For a good time, check out Paris' LastFM tags page

Kasarn

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 23, 2006, 05:03:10 PM
Why are some people allowed to make music?

I thought her songs come out of Warner's Pop Song Generator 5000X