08/12/2009 [FC#54] Away from the frying pan, into the fire

Started by Sicill, August 12, 2009, 01:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicill

So Bengahl and Luke can stay at House G'rel and all Luke had to do was prove his cooking combat skills. Clearly all that training in Middlebrook and Caperne's inspiring works have paid off.
Well done.
and on that note When Milnea liiks at you like that it's probably best to run  :kruger

Mao

There are times when I love Milnea, and then there are times when

I F'ING ADORE HER.

Guess which one of those two times this one was? :3

hapless

Hmm...
"Fit in" + holding him by the head + ZAP! = fake headwings?

//h
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Sicill

Quote from: hapless on August 12, 2009, 02:29:55 PM
"Fit in" + holding him by the head + ZAP! = fake headwings?

I was guessing that it was more along the lines of a clan mark.

Mao

Or both.  I get the feeling that she used some sort of morphing magic on him, and that would be painful on many levels I think, but could quite possibly do both.  I'm sure we'll find out after Turnsky arises from the dead once more.

Zedd

hapless

Quote from: Mao Laoren on August 12, 2009, 02:55:45 PM
I'm sure we'll find out after Turnsky arises from the dead once more.
You had to say that out loud... *sigh*.
Now the next few pages will surely present the events at Chernobyl, or other distant location.

//h
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Mao

Eh, Turnsky would have done that anyway.  He is, afterall, a magnificent bastard.

Tapewolf

Yeah, I think it's probably some fake headwings for him.  In principle he should still stand out by the lack of mind shield, though...

Thanks for the shout-out, by the way.  I have to admit I'm not completely sure if PF really counts as a 'fan fiction' since it doesn't actually use any DMFA characters, locations or storylines - which generally seems to be where fanfics tend to go wrong.  I've always called it a 'DMFA-inspired' comic and left it at that.

I'd reciprocate, but Foxfire has been in the links section since the site was launched  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 12, 2009, 07:13:01 PM
Thanks for the shout-out, by the way.  I have to admit I'm not completely sure if PF really counts as a 'fan fiction' since it doesn't actually use any DMFA characters, locations or storylines - which generally seems to be where fanfics tend to go wrong.  I've always called it a 'DMFA-inspired' comic and left it at that.

i stand corrected, then.  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Keleth

Not sure why people are thinking he's being given fake headwings.

When she says find the source of the drama.

I imagine she's doing some sort of crazy full blown mind probe.

Sheeesh, you people and your headwings, though, sure that might come later.

"Let's find out about your source of drama. Here's some headwings to give you moar drama"
Help! I'm gay!

Garsemor

If she is giving him headwings, than he will not be happy. He's alredy in shock from the first two changes.

Kabbalist

My guess would be that this is more likely to be one of the clan-marks that 'Cubi use in Turnsky's world. From what he said elsewhere, being branded with one of them hurts like Hell. While the fake headwings are also possible, a simple "ID badge" marking him as an accepted guest/ward of Milnea's clan would probably suffice.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on August 12, 2009, 10:59:13 PM

I believe people are focussing on the line "After all, you need to fit in around here".  That implies that she's going to make him more acceptable to the local populace.  The only obvious physical difference is the lack of headwings, since he's got backwings.  Most 'Cubi are liable to have their headwings in this place which means that if he hasn't got any it's likely because he's not a 'Cubi.
Bengahl and Takhan are also non-'Cubi but they're powerful and experienced enough to defend themselves, Luke is not.

Now that I think about it, a mind-shield is another likely option, though I can't think why it would hurt.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Garsemor on August 13, 2009, 12:57:39 AM
If she is giving him headwings, than he will not be happy. He's alredy in shock from the first two changes.

Ch-ch-ch-changes. :3 Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Icon by Sunblink

Indrick151

Awwww poor Luke... things just never look up for him, oh well at least it has amusement value, and Milnea well... she scares me more and more... and at the same time I love her

Kabbalist

Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 13, 2009, 10:03:11 PM

Ch-ch-ch-changes. :3 Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Turn and face the strange...really strange ch-ch-changes!  :mwaha

Keleth

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 13, 2009, 03:10:02 AM
Quote from: Drathorin on August 12, 2009, 10:59:13 PM

I believe people are focussing on the line "After all, you need to fit in around here".  That implies that she's going to make him more acceptable to the local populace.  The only obvious physical difference is the lack of headwings, since he's got backwings.  Most 'Cubi are liable to have their headwings in this place which means that if he hasn't got any it's likely because he's not a 'Cubi.
Bengahl and Takhan are also non-'Cubi but they're powerful and experienced enough to defend themselves, Luke is not.

Now that I think about it, a mind-shield is another likely option, though I can't think why it would hurt.

I doubt the school is going to attack the non-cubi. As that would be stupid, and insane and against the leaders of the school's orders/desires.

Of all creatures in this setting, you think the mental side of things would kind of prod at the creatures who actually do the most work regarding minds.

Then again, Headwings, and wings and wings and tri-wings are all the rage on the internets. So let's just plug those whereever possible because all the cool kids are doing it.
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on August 14, 2009, 12:44:02 PM
I doubt the school is going to attack the non-cubi. As that would be stupid, and insane and against the leaders of the school's orders/desires.
So far, they already have.  Placing some kind of marker - whatever form it takes - might be quicker and easier than rounding everyone up and telling them.
Actually I think you'll find this place is the 'Cubi capital, not exclusively a training school.

QuoteOf all creatures in this setting, you think the mental side of things would kind of prod at the creatures who actually do the most work regarding minds.

That sentence isn't quite parsing for me, but if your argument is that they should mind-probe Luke and stop, that hasn't worked out so far.  He's been molested by Ink, Janus, Aniz and Kittah in the space of about five minutes.
If you think about it, Luke has gone from human to Wendigo to Thae'lith and woken up on a completely alien planet, all within the space of a few months.  It's a wonder he's sane at all, and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the morass of confusion in his mind attracted 'Cubi rather than putting them off.

QuoteThen again, Headwings, and wings and wings and tri-wings are all the rage on the internets. So let's just plug those whereever possible because all the cool kids are doing it.
You know, if you think 'Cubi are an overused cliché, you're almost certainly reading the wrong comic.

Mao

Quote from: Drathorin on August 14, 2009, 12:44:02 PM
Then again, Headwings, and wings and wings and tri-wings are all the rage on the internets. So let's just plug those whereever possible because all the cool kids are doing it.

While we're at it, we can all plug trolling too.  It seems to be all the rage these days with the kids.

I think the side you forgetting is that he was getting harassed in the previous comics about how something was missing from the top of his head.  Given that the 'cubi in this comic *DO* in fact have headwings, it's a viable possibility that the source of the 'drama' is his appearant lack of them.  Given that he was being harassed about the top of his head... I don't think this is just shameless 'cubi fanboi gushing.

Now, that said, there's also plenty of other possibilities.  Could be a clan mark he's recieving (or some sort of DO NOT TOUCH sign) or maybe she's just going to take his ugly mug and make it a little better.  Heck, she could turn him into a female for all we know.

Frankly, we'll all know soon enough so there's not much sense in trying to figure it out or putting down folks who's idea might be different than yours.

TL;DR version:  Stop trolling.  No matter what you think will happen next will be known soon enough and it's probably best to just sit and watch it happen.  Predicting it won't get you any points or awards, and putting down those who try to won't either.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 14, 2009, 01:30:13 PM
He's been molested by Ink, Janus, Aniz and Kittah in the space of about five minutes.

Double-takes at Page 51.  Holy crap, that is Aniz.  Yet another cameo.
Does that mean that like Ink, Janus, and Kittah, he is someone else's character (not one of Amber's characters)?

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 14, 2009, 03:24:17 PM
Does that mean that like Ink, Janus, and Kittah, he is someone else's character (not one of Amber's characters)?

I'm 99% sure he's Amber's creation.  Aniz is named after Zina, but from what I heard at AC that was just because she was stuck for a name and Zina said "name them after me!" or something.  So she spelled it backwards.

Sprocketsdance

You know... there is a twisted little part of me that wonders if she just did that for the heck of it.

I really like her.

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on August 14, 2009, 01:39:38 PM
TL;DR version:  Stop trolling.  No matter what you think will happen next will be known soon enough and it's probably best to just sit and watch it happen.  Predicting it won't get you any points or awards, and putting down those who try to won't either.

Mao, as much as i don't like telling people to "pull their head in" so to speak, i'd haveta make mention that it's generally up to me to decide who's trolling and who's not in my little corner of the forum.. that and while you -do- have a point, it's also sort of not your place to enforce forum policies.  :3

Drath, simmer down a tad, too, i think you know what i'll say here at this point, if not, well, come poke me on IRC.

long story short, i know some folks don't like rampant theorising, but they're kind of the lifeblood of story discussion, and truth be told, i love theorists..

their brains are soft and squishy like playdoh  :mwaha

Mao

If you think I'm trying to tell him what to do as some sort of forum police, then I think I'm done commenting here.

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on August 15, 2009, 01:00:46 AM
If you think I'm trying to tell him what to do as some sort of forum police, then I think I'm done commenting here.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on August 14, 2009, 01:39:38 PM
TL;DR version:  Stop trolling.  No matter what you think will happen next will be known soon enough and it's probably best to just sit and watch it happen.  Predicting it won't get you any points or awards, and putting down those who try to won't either.

i did say you -did- have a point, however.

Anyways, no harm, no foul as far as i'm concerned.

Turnsky

just a small note, (hey, my forum, i can doublepost if i wanna... rarely..) i shall endeavor to update sometime this week, i'll shoot for wednesday, but fri-sat by the latest.. i'm havin' me some fun with this one, also, playing with character angles.

Tapewolf

This is pretty off-the-wall, but... I'm wondering if she's giving him some hair.  AFAIK he's one of the only characters who has fur but is bald (which suddenly clicked when Ren drew him with hair once).

Turnsky

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on August 18, 2009, 07:20:16 AM
pics or it didn't happen.  >:3

I'll have to search at home.  The closest I have at the moment is this awful hackwork I did as a quick colour reference.  I didn't even strip the antialiasing hence the white smears:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/projectfuture/luke_test1.png

...but IIRC that was after I'd digitally removed the hair, which is why the forehead is so high.  I'll search my PMs when I get home.

**EDIT**

Sorry, Ren, it had to be done:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/projectfuture/Demo2preview.png