8/06/09 [PF #74] - The test involved moving the subject onto a new platform

Started by Jairus, August 06, 2009, 01:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Yay! Jakob's got a D8 face! Wooo!

Yak-boy doesn't look happy here, though. I see arguments and pain and suffering and maybe some bran muffins in the near future.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jairus on August 06, 2009, 01:11:33 PM
Yay! Jakob's got a D8 face! Wooo!

Yak-boy doesn't look happy here, though. I see arguments and pain and suffering and maybe some bran muffins in the near future.
Uhh, I'm pretty sure you're mistaking Yak for Fa'Lina there, bro. :.

Also..
..I felt it was somehow.. appropriate. :B

By the way, one of the possible names for the strip was "Confessions of a dangerous mind".

Zedd

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Zedd

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Zedd on August 06, 2009, 02:03:11 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on August 06, 2009, 01:58:09 PM
"Lost Lake Rhapsody"?
Yeah....That's not helping big bro
Mama!~ I've just killed a man,
Put a gun against his head,
Pulled my trigger, now he's dead~

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on August 06, 2009, 03:07:57 PM
Mama!~ I've just killed a man,

It always sounded like 'bear' to me, not 'man'.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on August 06, 2009, 01:21:56 PM
By the way, one of the possible names for the strip was "Confessions of a dangerous mind".

I wanted to call it "Crime XOR Punishment" but not many people would get that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ChaosMageX

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 06, 2009, 08:10:44 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 06, 2009, 03:24:39 PM

Bweeheehee.

Hahaha, I also get it.  If I remember XOR properly, that means that you can either have both crime and punishment or no crime and no punishment, but not one without the other.

Icon by Sunblink

Garsemor

Well, it had to come out sooner or later, but what is Jackob going to do now and who is going to take the blame?

Madmann135

I think I see where this is going in a way...
in short Dorcan should not have been able to kill a man.  Jakob is probably going to have to find out how and why the security features failed.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Madmann135 on August 07, 2009, 02:09:06 AM
in short Dorcan should not have been able to kill a man.  Jakob is probably going to have to find out how and why the security features failed.
Oh, the security interlocks prevent Jakob's creations from attacking him or his colleagues. Or his other creations. The rest are free to be attacked. :B

hapless

Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 07, 2009, 12:12:14 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 06, 2009, 08:10:44 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 06, 2009, 03:24:39 PM

Bweeheehee.

Hahaha, I also get it.  If I remember XOR properly, that means that you can either have both crime and punishment or no crime and no punishment, but not one without the other.

XOR - exclusive or. One or the other, but not both nor none of them.
0 ^ 0 -> 0
0 ^ 1 -> 1
1 ^ 0 -> 1
1 ^ 1 -> 0

... and besides, I had read Dostoyevsky. Now, who's gonna implement rest of the bitwise operators?
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Turnsky

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on August 07, 2009, 03:36:40 AM
Quote from: Madmann135 on August 07, 2009, 02:09:06 AM
Oh, the security interlocks prevent Jakob's creations from attacking him or his colleagues. Or his other creations. The rest are free to be attacked. :B

well naturally, first rule of mad science is to not build things that can turn around and kill you, after all. Dr Frankenstein learnt that the hard way, after all.  :B

Tapewolf

As hapless says, it's either one or the other but not both (like how you can't press FF and RW at the same time on a tape deck/cd player/mp3 player).

What you're describing would be... actually I can't think of a gate that does that.  It's a bit like the sum of a NAND gate and NOR gate.

Quote from: Turnsky on August 07, 2009, 05:39:01 AM
well naturally, first rule of mad science is to not build things that can turn around and kill you, after all.

In case anyone is wondering how this works, dangerous, hateful actions are cross-checked against the security computer in the base and all other Jayhawk facilities.  If they leave the base it won't work and the action will be allowed by default.  On the base, Jakob and all other Jayhawk employees have RF transceivers in their ID cards.  Dorcan, Joshua and the panthers have theirs embedded.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 07, 2009, 06:14:14 AM
In case anyone is wondering how this works, dangerous, hateful actions are cross-checked against the security computer in the base and all other Jayhawk facilities.  If they leave the base it won't work and the action will be allowed by default.  On the base, Jakob and all other Jayhawk employees have RF transceivers in their ID cards.  Dorcan, Joshua and the panthers have theirs embedded.
Ah, so the security interlocks work only at Jayhawk facilities?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on August 07, 2009, 06:17:04 AM

Basically, yes.  If as an android you were utterly determined to kill another employee you could probably find a loophole in it.  However, you'd have to be able to mask both your thoughts and emotions from the 'cubi employees as well and if you were that determined they would know about it.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 07, 2009, 06:32:56 AM

Basically, yes.  If as an android you were utterly determined to kill another employee you could probably find a loophole in it.  However, you'd have to be able to mask both your thoughts and emotions from the 'cubi employees as well and if you were that determined they would know about it.

and this is why Golems make far better servants, with the size of most of them, if they're determined to kill you, nothing much will stop them... provided they catch you, first. "It's like being hunted down by an angry boulder"

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 07, 2009, 06:32:56 AM

And here I thought they had some sort of a list of people they cannot harm programmed into them. Like in RoboCop. :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on August 07, 2009, 06:42:40 AM
and this is why Golems make far better servants, with the size of most of them, if they're determined to kill you, nothing much will stop them... provided they catch you, first. "It's like being hunted down by an angry boulder"

While there is a certain element of "you owe me a favour" in the fact that Jakob saved their lives, the android project isn't really about crating servants.  The panthers are the closest to that and even they are effectively employees.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on August 07, 2009, 06:43:35 AM
And here I thought they had some sort of a list of people they cannot harm programmed into them. Like in RoboCop. :B
That makes it awkward to update.  What I was thinking of was a bit more like a cross between LDAP and young Kzinti, where it sends a sort of "Can I attack it?" query to the server and gets a yes/no response.

hapless

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 07, 2009, 06:14:14 AM
Hahaha, I also get it.  If I remember XOR properly, that means that you can either have both crime and punishment or no crime and no punishment, but not one without the other.
What you're describing would be... actually I can't think of a gate that does that.  It's a bit like the sum of a NAND gate and NOR gate.
Well, he's talking about reversed XOR, or XNOR. CD4077 gate.
Speaking of which, I haven't played with analogue electronics for a long time... thanks for the prod.
//h
ADD:
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 07, 2009, 06:50:12 AM
That makes it awkward to update.  What I was thinking of was a bit more like a cross between LDAP and young Kzinti, where it sends a sort of "Can I attack it?" query to the server and gets a yes/no response.
Ewww, LDAP. Authors had weird definition of simplicity.

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on August 07, 2009, 06:53:51 AM
Well, he's talking about reversed XOR, or XNOR. CD4077 gate.
I can't believe I didn't spot that.

QuoteSpeaking of which, I haven't played with analogue electronics for a long time... thanks for the prod.
It's digital logic.  They're only analogue if you worked for EDP back in the day (who IIRC abused TTL gates as part of the filter in their WASP synthesizer).

hapless

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 07, 2009, 07:00:01 AM
It's digital logic.
True, I misphrased. Anyway, I used to play with simple unintegrated electronics some time ago -most complex ICs I had use were timers, op amps and some of the voltage regulators- and now I want to do it again. :)
//h

Gabi

I'd never heard of the XNOR gate before, but I knew that as EQ (logical equivalence) or IFF (if and only if).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Turnsky

Ren Gaulen