S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat

Started by TheJimTimMan, August 03, 2009, 04:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJimTimMan

Being very much a fan of the original game (not so much Clear Sky, I couldn't get into it for some reason, perhaps I should go back...), when PC Gamer (UK) did a preview of the next game in the series I was rather interested by the prospect of STALKER done right at last (failed due to development hell with the first, CS had a lot AI bugs and was generally less well done than the first).
So, thoughts/opinions and hopes/worries of what the game may or may not accomplish from those who played the first two games and/or the thoughts of those who haven't played the games is really what I'm after, I suppose.
[insert suitable close-off here, gods I'm horrendous at this...]

TheDXM

Looking forward to it.

The original was very atmospheric and I've come to realize I love creepy atmosphere in games, especially from a first person perspective. Just wish it hadn't been so dang buggy.

Teh_Hobo

YESSSSSSSSSS. Some of my favorite games. More Shadows of Chernobyl than Clear Sky, but CS definitely had some major improvements. Cannot wait for Call of Pripyat. I never really ran into too many bug issues. A few here and there, but sad to say, what game doesnt have bugs nowadays. Most of the bugs i encountered were when i tried to install mods, and did it wrong.
If they get the right mix of SoC and CS, this could be great.  I really hope they bring back the old anomaly system. The original had it great IMO, CS.... not so much. I like to be able to tell what I'm getting into. In the first game, after a while you knew what anomalies were prevalent where, and were able to plan your artifacts. You couldnt really plan anything in CS since all the anomalies looked exactly the same. Also, seeing fields full of electricity, the underpass full of heat haze, artifacts dancing just out of reach past some of the deadlier anomalies, all did wonders for the feel of the game. The first game felt like the environment was trying to kill you just as much as the bandits and military. I didnt really get that feel from CS.
That being said, even if they keep CS' anomaly/artifact system, I'll still buy it.
</Fanboy>
Also,
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

TheJimTimMan

Quote from: Teh_Hobo on August 03, 2009, 08:59:36 PM
Also,

My first experience of a CS Blowout involved me barely making it back to the Stalker base, after ditching about 2000 Ru's worth of weapons (another slightly annoying thing about CS, artifacts were really the only decent way of making money) and quaffing all the energy drinks I had on me so I could keep running for long enough. This took about about 5 tries from the old military checkpoint into the Garbage. I think I had about 3 seconds to spare when I finally got into the safe area.

My first experience of a Blowout in SoC (with the Oblivion Lost mod installed) was at the Agroprom Research Institute. At night. You know how in most games you can generally see quite far at night? Buy STALKER. Install Oblivion Lost. Now, use the sleeping bag until the clock in your inventory says it's midnight. Leave Sid's bunker. Now try and see anything, anything without a light source. I had to attack a military outpost in these conditions. Fun.
You know how the enemies in STALKER games eat absurd amounts of carrots, enabling them to see you from 20 feet away in the pitch dark without a flashlight? I had to run away from the middle of the encampment where you get the documents for Barkeep, all the way to the Duty checkpoint in the Garbage; I'm not sure how many tries it took me as this was a while ago, but by the time I finally managed to get out of Agroprom without being shot up I had probably rage-quit the game at least twice out of sheer frustration.
I think I had more fun running from the Blowout in SoC, CS emissions feel... tame, somewhat, probably a result of playing Oblivion Lost...

Quote from: The DXM on August 03, 2009, 07:13:42 PM
The original was very atmospheric and I've come to realize I love creepy atmosphere in games, especially from a first person perspective.
Precisely the reason I love STALKER so much. An experience very much improved via the way of Mod.

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

TheJimTimMan

What I wouldn't give to able to shotgun the guy who "welcomes" you to bar every time you walk past him.

seuta

Here is to hoping they can deal with all the random bug issues, improve the AI, and release a game that will set a bar for games everywhere like the original was trying to do.

I'll admit, Clear Sky was an improvement of Shadows of Chernobyl in so many ways.  If they would just release some of the changes from Clear Sky as a large content patch for the original, the game would be superbly awesome.