Go outside dammit! >:O

Started by Alondro, August 03, 2009, 02:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Stop sitting around and get some sunshine! 

Vitamin D-ficiency

Just stand outside for 15 minutes and then everyone can crawl back into the basement for another D&D session or 12-hour Wii marathon.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Dannysaysnoo

It's either the indoors, or overbearing mothers drenching their children in sun-proof armor.

Dekari

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on August 03, 2009, 02:58:36 PM
It's either the indoors, or overbearing mothers drenching their children in sun-proof armor.

QFT.  There is no reason to put on SPF 5000000000 sunblock when it's overcast.

Or if you are not the outdoors person, you can cheat with a UV-B light.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Dekari on August 03, 2009, 03:03:35 PM
Or if you are not the outdoors person, you can cheat with a UV-B light.

Might try that. Either that, or just sit in a sunbed for hours.

ooklah

I bike to and from work every day (so that's about 4.5 miles every day)... that's about as much sun as I want *here*... I like the sun *there*... I just don't like it *here*
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Sprocketsdance

*shrugs* I have to go outside to get to the internet.. so that's how I get sun ^_^

Dekari

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on August 03, 2009, 03:14:29 PM
Might try that. Either that, or just sit in a sunbed for hours.

Well, before you do that you may want to do some research and, like just about anyone would say, talk to your Dr.  Don't rely on the internet for medical advice when you have paid medical professionals who know what they are talking about.

The UV-B you get from a UV light may actually be much, much more than you would get from the sun considering that about 98.7% of the UV radiation is blocked by the atmosphere.  You don't want to get too much UV-B and cause even worse problems for yourself.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Teroniss

Psh, sunlight is overrated. 15 minutes in a UV Tanning bed is all I need.

Reese Tora

eh, I spend about an hour and 15 minutes total driving to and from work every day, I think that(plus 5 minutes between car and buildings) is enough indirect sunlight to qualify.  Also, milk.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

bradypodidae

Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

RJ

There is life outside your apartment...  :ipod

I'm not getting that song out of my head for days now, dangnabit.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dekari on August 03, 2009, 03:03:35 PM
QFT.  There is no reason to put on SPF 5000000000 sunblock when it's overcast.

You haven't seen my son. Slug-like about sums it up.

Having said that, a few minutes isn't going to hurt him... but no way does he go out in the bright sunlight without some sunscreen. 30+, 40+, or 50+, depending on what's to hand.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Valynth

So essentially he can go out all year round except that rare week or so of summer?
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Sprocketsdance

Quote from: Valynth on August 04, 2009, 04:27:42 AM
So essentially he can go out all year round except that rare week or so of summer?

You would be surprised at how badly one can burn in the winter.... <~~~ ish victim..

Valynth

Quote from: wuffnpuff on August 04, 2009, 05:09:30 AM
You would be surprised at how badly one can burn in the winter.... <~~~ ish victim..

And you would be surprised at how little the sun has to do with British weather.

Anyway, yes you CAN burn while there's snow on the ground 'cause that snow reflects light and radiation back at you causing a double dose.

Not that I have to worry about it here.  Our temperature rarely reaches below what you northern folk consider "summer" during our "winter."
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Alondro

Frankly, I think alot of people burn badly simply because their skin is so little-used to getting sunlight.

When I used to work in grounds at Six Flags great Adventure, I was exposed to full-blast summer sun nearly 8 hours a day.  But because from early childhood, I used to be outside all the time, I never got more than a mild burn on the first few days of the season, then no more sunburn afterward.

Now, however, since I'm in a lab and get little sunlight most of the time, if I'm going to be out more than an hour in direct sunlight, I must have sunscreen or my face starts to melt off.  

Course, that could be due to horrible mutations from the lab chemicals and not the sun exposure itself.  :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Dekari

Quote from: Reese Tora on August 03, 2009, 10:22:37 PM
eh, I spend about an hour and 15 minutes total driving to and from work every day, I think that(plus 5 minutes between car and buildings) is enough indirect sunlight to qualify.

Doctors and other professionals say it needs to be direct sunlight.  I believe this is because many types of glass, including auto glass, diminish what little UV is left in the suns rays.  But I'm going to have to do some looking around to make sure what I'm saying is correct or not.

Quote from: Reese Tora on August 03, 2009, 10:22:37 PM
Also, milk.

To paraphrase medical research...

"The Vitamin D received from food, fortified or not, is minuscule when compared to how much the body makes when exposed to the sun for just 10 minutes."

Sunblink

Actually, I have a vitamin D deficiency and need to take vitamins on occasion. Part of it is because I don't tan - my complexion is so light that there is no transition. If I spend too much time in the sun, I burn. :<

However, I truly need to spend more time out in the sun.

Cogidubnus

Don't you guys realize that the sun is a GIANT BALL OF FIRE?! D:

If I were to take my pasty white body outside I'd burst into flames faster than a gasoline-soaked moth in hell.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Cogidubnus on August 04, 2009, 12:36:29 PM

If I were to take my pasty white body outside I'd burst into flames faster than a gasoline-soaked moth in hell.

... Are you asking us to avoid it, or to go ahead with it? Because if you're trying to avoid it, just a wee hint of advice - you're going at it entirely the wrong way...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ooklah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbgul1NpEA8

all i ever need to know is from TMBG  :boogie
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Reese Tora

Quote from: Valynth on August 04, 2009, 08:04:34 AM
Quote from: wuffnpuff on August 04, 2009, 05:09:30 AM

And you would be surprised at how little the sun has to do with British weather.
And you would be surprised how easy it is to burn when you go around thinking that a little cloud cover will protect you from being outside all day.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

hapless

Worse. It's the largest beepin' nuclear reactor in the whole system!

//h - "Go OUTSIDE?! You're trying to make me BLIND?!"
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

JackTheCubiWolf

HISSSSSSSSSSSSS! The sun is my mortal enemy.
I'm back, and tired.

Ryudo Lee

What is this "sun" you people keep mentioning?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Keleth

I personally have yet to experience what you would call a real nasty sunburn.

For example today was the first time this year I was outside for any real length of time (being over an hour in direct sunlight) So we spent around 5 hours walking around the haborfront.

The result is that I still have a pasty white farmers tan on my shoulders and upper arms.

I really don't burn often, then again, using stuff like aloe vera gel from the plant itself and just rubbing it gently over the arms really does soothe whatever sort of light redness I do get.

Also, I have never used sunblock, as I use this thing called common decency. Which is GTFO and into a house after an extended period of time.
Help! I'm gay!

Alondro

Quote from: hapless on August 04, 2009, 01:41:11 PM

*In other news, Greenpeace is now standing in protest of... the Sun*

*hippies protester*  The Sun is bad, man, cuz it's nukular!   :B

hapless

Quote from: Alondro on August 05, 2009, 08:13:09 AM
Still, hippies are much less dangerous than a new government agency.

//h(ope you checked both of the links...)

Vidar

Quote from: Alondro on August 05, 2009, 08:13:09 AM
Quote from: hapless on August 04, 2009, 01:41:11 PM

*In other news, Greenpeace is now standing in protest of... the Sun*

No, man. the sun is ok, man. The sun runs on nuclear fusion, man, not fission, man. Fusion is good, man, because it doesn't have the nuclear waste of fission-based reactors, man.

* tokes on his joint like a professional hippy stoner *
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

hapless

Would you be so KIND and STOP breaking my arguments with FACTS?
*snatches and destroys the joint in one swift move*
And don't you know that smoking is hazardous to you health? Ok, this stuff isn't nearly as bad as tobacco... but still, you'll be better without it.

//h(ave a nice polar night)