The removal of headwings.

Started by JaxiD, July 20, 2009, 09:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaxiD

I have always wondered, what would actually happen to a Cubi that loses his headwings?

From what I know, no Cubi would ever let their headwings be removed alive. But that doesn't answer the question at all.

Not even a little bit.

So I'm curious, does a Cubi die if one loses his or her headwings? Does the Cubi lose their magical abilities? Would that include the ability to absorb their nutrition through emotions, and in that case would that mean the Cubi would be doomed to starvation?

Or would they just grow back?

I am fairly sure in the long history of Cubi being existing one would have lost their headwings in battle or an accident, so it would be pretty common knowlege, especially if there's a school set around teaching Cubi everything they need to know. It would be something most would want to know about, and if there is a downside to losing one's headwings it would be pretty important information to spread around.

Any theories?

Jigsaw Forte

We've already seen that Demon Wings can be regrown (ala Regina's bone-wing), and that Cubi losing their LARGE wings, or at least parts of them, is equally "routine".

The main issues with losing a wing (assuming there is no special magic tied to it), is that it's an extremity, and a tiny one at that -- therefore, they'd be quite sensitive, just like other certain extremities of your body.

i.e. it'd be survivable, but you wouldn't be happy and you'd probably try to regrow it as fast as possible too.

JaxiD

Awr that theory makes sense.

I was hoping they'd lose their magical ability and be doomed to starvation.

That would be a really rad element to the Cubi race.

RJ

Sounds scary, like cutting the fins off a shark.  :<

Kenji

One way to find out. I'll need a volunteer.

hapless

Somewhere in the comic there's a scene where Fa'Lina (?, IIRC) says something to the point of "If you won't <something>, I'll rip out all four of your wings."
I vaguely recall reading somewhere around here that people are using that as an argument for the theory that it's painful but won't kill nor cripple abilities of a 'Cubi.

//h

ED: Yeah, that was the wiki article TW linked to.
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Tarynsgate

Nah, I don't think having your headwings lopped off will make a 'cubi less powerful. I think its more of a symbol in a way that shows 'I'm a growned up 'cubi' or something like that, that would be a major embarrasment to have cut off.

But I agree with Jigsaw, they'd probably be easy to reattach with a bit 'o surgery and magic ;)
Et Manu Et Corde - With hand and with heart

llearch n'n'daCorna

... and it'd hurt to have them ripped off.

A lot.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

JaxiD

Well that answers that question.

Weird is that I actually looked all across the board for a topic about headwings but couldn't find anything.

Amber Williams

In DMFA, there are a lot of theories that surround headwings and that is partially done intentionally by Cubi themselves because the less real knowledge someone has over a race, the more one can get away with a lot of things.  And as painful as losing ones headwings are, if a Cubi can convince someone that they are suddenly now completely powerless and unable to do anything now that their headwings have been chopped off...one could say it has come in handy a few times on a fight.

At the core of it, the headwings are just another set of little limbs. Symbolic perhaps, but their function seems more decorative than anything truly meaningful.  One could say the real threat of getting them cut off is that they are so close to ones head and brain that the bleeding could cause issues there or result in head trauma...which admittedly would do a much better job at auto-killing a Cubi or causing them to lose their magical abilities due to brain damage...which may be what helps lend to the rumour that headwings=something important.

All in all though, headwings are just a very sensitive little set of dongles ontop ones head.

JaxiD

Now that's increadibly helpful, thank you.

Sofox

Quote from: JaxiD on July 21, 2009, 12:15:00 PM
Now that's increadibly helpful, thank you.

Great, now you can go at and do.....

....okay, you've lost me, how is that information useful in the slightest?

Kage

Its helpful in clearing up the debate.  :mowtongue
I am the Patron Saint of Mediocrity.

Scuravolpe

Thanks Amber for clearing that up...I doubted that a pair of exposed, sensitive, delicate appendages on top of your body would be good to have as the source for your power and survival. There's no way the Cubi race could ever have become as powerful as they are with big "KILL ME NOW" targets sticking off them like that.

MT Hazard

So head wings are the cubi sign of magical 'puberty'?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: MT Hazard on July 21, 2009, 06:02:53 PM
So head wings are the cubi sign of magical 'puberty'?

Pretty much.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kenji

"Lookie! I got my big boy wings!"

Sprocketsdance

:giggle I will now always refer to my headwings as.. "dongles"

ooklah

makes me wonder how the muscles and bones are attached to the skull to make them twitch and move. They can't be attached the brain... that would be silly! and attaching to the skull at a 90 degree angle doesn't seem like it would get much support... unless they also grew socket joints...where their brains are so it doesn't affect the curvature of the skull...  :mowdizzy ...

I've got it! They've got no brains!
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Jairus

Quote from: ooklah on July 21, 2009, 11:02:56 PM
makes me wonder how the muscles and bones are attached to the skull to make them twitch and move. They can't be attached the brain... that would be silly! and attaching to the skull at a 90 degree angle doesn't seem like it would get much support... unless they also grew socket joints...where their brains are so it doesn't affect the curvature of the skull...  :mowdizzy ...

I've got it! They've got no brains!
Alternatively, Cubi wings aren't totally biological, and are mostly magic given form with little actual bone: it's all literally just something like biological magic, which allows the easy shapeshifting and such. They only work because that's how wings are "supposed" to work/look. I'd almost say that demon and angel wings were the same, except A) their wings don't show the same morphability of Cubi wings and B) at least one Demon wing (Regina's) is shown to have actual bones, though to be fair since those bones now seem to be all that's left of one of her wings I guess we can say that angel and demon wings are likewise at least partially magical in addition to being biological. Wings on Furrae seem to demonstrate magical abilities in the beings that have them. But either way, Cubi headwings are most likely pure magic given a biological form on their head. Or something like that. Amber could answer this question better. Help?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Netrogo

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 21, 2009, 11:59:21 AM
dongles

There's something about that word that makes me burst out laughing anytime I hear it.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Jairus

Quote from: Netrogo on July 22, 2009, 10:58:10 AM
dongles

There's something about that word that makes me burst out laughing anytime I hear it.
Well, it is one of the world's inherently funny words.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Turnsky

Quote from: Netrogo on July 22, 2009, 10:58:10 AM
dongles

HA! HA! Dongles.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Naldru

The dictionary lists a dongle as an electronic device that must be attached to a computer in order to use protected software, but I always viewed it as any device that plugs into the computer to carry out a function.  (such as USB thumb drives and cell phone data modems)  However, those of you whose minds tend to travel in certain directions can always have your own definitions.

Of course some people find explanations very disturbing while I view them as normal.  For example, I remember once explaining to a colleague the definition of male and female connectors.  She had a very strange look on her face.  I'm not sure what would have happened had I described such things as hermaphroditic, male to male, and female to female connectors.

So for those of you with excessively prurient thoughts, I will leave you with the thoughts of dongles dangling around you.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Sofox

Nal: Yeah, I burst out laughing the first time I heard that "male" and "female" were official names for plugs and sockets. I thought the guy describing them was just being humerous at first.

Saist

Quote from: Kenji on July 21, 2009, 03:09:45 AM
One way to find out. I'll need a volunteer.

as much as we munch, nibble, and chew on Jouster's ears / headwings? Don't we already HAVE a volunteer?

ooklah

I have a licensed version of Lightwave. It came with a dongle. I hope I still know where it is...
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

JaxiD

Quote from: Sofox on July 21, 2009, 01:19:59 PM
Great, now you can go at and do.....

....okay, you've lost me, how is that information useful in the slightest?

I don't know why but I can never find complete admiration for any race or species or character who is literally perfect in every sense of the word. I wanted to know more about the headwings because it seemed to me like a very possible weak spot of the Cubi race, the written description didn’t give me the answer as to what the headwings are actually for and what would happen if a Cubi were to lose them so I decided to find out directly.

If you check out the tower of art I am trying to put together a fan comic set in the same universe as DMFA and I really do need to know everything I need to know if I’m to do it right.