Another 'game' shooting

Started by Suwako, June 17, 2009, 04:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teroniss

You know, I did a research project one time that argued that on some individuals, those particularly susceptible to addiction and drug abuse, video game addiction can be akin to drug addiction in very many similar aspects. In particular, in some extreme cases, violent tendencies as a result of detachment from reality.

Alondro

Quote from: Teroniss on June 19, 2009, 10:53:34 PM
You know, I did a research project one time that argued that on some individuals, those particularly susceptible to addiction and drug abuse, video game addiction can be akin to drug addiction in very many similar aspects. In particular, in some extreme cases, violent tendencies as a result of detachment from reality.

Video games must be regulated by the FDA!  :3

lulz
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Teroniss

Quote from: Alondro on June 19, 2009, 11:06:05 PM
Quote from: Teroniss on June 19, 2009, 10:53:34 PM

Video games must be regulated by the FDA!  :3

lulz

Lol, seriously though. My psychology group at my university performed a study on addiction and the effects of it on those psychologically prone to addiction when involved with other media. My group focused on the media of video games, and we performed the study in a controlled environments with three groups. (Based on taken surveys, involved in asking question about previous addictions the participants may have had, if any. The first group was comprised of those whose surveys predicted high addictive behavior, the second group involved those who had not previous gotten involved in any addictive substances or had a low disposition for it, and the last group was chosen at random without taking the survey as a control group/placebo group.) Those found to have a more psychological proneness to addiction experienced heightened stress effects while playing long sessions (4 hours+) of gaming more often than the non-addictive group, roughly a 4 to 1 ratio out of 12 person groups. In the control group, 1/3 were found to exhibit similar psychological stressors as those in the addictive group.

Netrogo

Quote from: Teroniss on June 19, 2009, 11:17:15 PM
Lol, seriously though. My psychology group at my university performed a study on addiction and the effects of it on those psychologically prone to addiction when involved with other media. My group focused on the media of video games, and we performed the study in a controlled environments with three groups. (Based on taken surveys, involved in asking question about previous addictions the participants may have had, if any. The first group was comprised of those whose surveys predicted high addictive behavior, the second group involved those who had not previous gotten involved in any addictive substances or had a low disposition for it, and the last group was chosen at random without taking the survey as a control group/placebo group.) Those found to have a more psychological proneness to addiction experienced heightened stress effects while playing long sessions (4 hours+) of gaming more often than the non-addictive group, roughly a 4 to 1 ratio out of 12 person groups. In the control group, 1/3 were found to exhibit similar psychological stressors as those in the addictive group.

Interesting study. Honestly I see people who're highly prone to addiction (HPtA) as being mentally deficient, not unlike someone with down syndrome or something equally serious. They're people who're not in absolute control of their mental functions if they find themselves easily influenced by outside sources. To me even if they proved one hundred percent that HPtA people would become violent from prolonged violent game exposure, that would just make me think those kind of people should be treated as special needs and/or children and not allowed near the games. Basically it may be proved that it's not directly their fault that they did it, but it's STILL not the games fault.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Ghostwish

Video games, psychosis, none of those apply to this kid, in my opinion..

Bad parenting, on the other hand...

RJ

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 17, 2009, 04:54:40 AM
Immediately went to GIS to find it, because it was the first thing to come to mind.

I believe his train of thought was more like this: http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/7946/ppldieiftheyarekilledxi6.jpg

Kafzeil

Oh...just when I think I'm starting to overcome my misanthropy....
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Keleth

I never thought by taking something like a gun, and shooting someone, that they might die from it.

I never thought watching Kurt Russel and Sylvestor Stallone kill people, meant that people I shot would die from it.

:<

I never thought if I jumped off a cliff, I'd fall from it.

Durrrrr hurrrrrrrrr

PILLS HE- I mean Darwin Awards here!
Help! I'm gay!

radarnocturn

Geez, I thought things like this is why you gave children pets, so that they could learn that death is perminent!  But I am reminded of this story: http://www.nypost.com/seven/02212009/news/nationalnews/cops__11_year_old_pa_boy_kills_dads_preg_156288.htm 
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2263348.ece

Dagardo

Somehow it seems that most people don't realize that it's not the game (or music) that does it. Games don't make people shoot other people just by being played, it happens because these people have something wrong with themselves in the first place, as I'm sure we all (should) know. Same goes for music, people don't shoot other people because the music has to do with things like that. It's simply the reason I just listed. What they need to do is send them to a professional who can cure this type of psychological stuff. But hell, (pardon my french) even that's dangerous for said professional, because practically anything can be used as a weapon, they'll just revert to their previous thinking that they will respawn, or something like that. And with music the try to sue the person who made the music, which is just stupid. It's a wonder they didn't try to sue Bungie for this "shooting". But I will hush now, as I have better things to do. Sorry for ranting.

rabid_fox

After playing Oblivion, I went picking flowers.

F*ck you, gaming industry, f*ck you.

Oh dear.

Teroniss

After playing Persona 3, I learned its ok to shoot yourself in the head.

Kafzeil

I find the idea that a game can influence you to kill someone ludicrous I mean, when I kill people it's mostly for sexual reasons-

Wait, did I say that out loud?
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts