Yet another computer Topic

Started by Kafzeil, June 29, 2009, 06:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kafzeil

I might be getting a new laptop soon, used, from my grandfather. It's a Dell, about 4 years old, and I am currently wondering if something like that would run Mac OS X.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kafzeil on June 29, 2009, 06:01:51 PM
I might be getting a new laptop soon, used, from my grandfather. It's a Dell, about 4 years old, and I am currently wondering if something like that would run Mac OS X.

Short answer is no, not if Apple has anything to do with it.

You can stick Windows XP on it or some flavour of linux, but the MacOS is only intended to run on Apple machines.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kafzeil

Ah, I see.  Thanks. I just would prefe rto use a decent Operating System(ei. Not Vista.) I can tolerate using XP though.

Oh, and before I forget, how likely would it be for a computer of that age to have Wi-Fi abilities built in? Or will i need an adaptor?
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

superluser

You can try something like this, though as noted, there will be zero support.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Reese Tora

4 year old Dell...

If it's a D810(got eight of them at work), it ought to have WiFi built in.

it's not going to be the latest and greatest version, but it should connect to most wireless networks that have legacy b/g turned on (which is the default)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Kafzeil

If it helps, it's also likely to be a pretty High End Machine(For it's Time). Also, my family uses a 2Wire Wireless Router/Modem Combo. It's a 2700HG-E. Therefore I, hoping They'll be compatible. I don't think we altered any of the settings.

I think it might be a D810. That's a Higher end model, right? My Grandfather never buys anything without the bells and whistles.