22/06/09 [PF #69] - Awkward!

Started by Jairus, June 22, 2009, 05:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Oh, not this again. Does everyone who runs into Jakob think of Johann Cross first and foremost?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Amber Williams

LARGE SIZED VERSION OF :< FACE THOUGHT BUBBLE NAOW!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on June 22, 2009, 05:04:44 PM
Oh, not this again. Does everyone who runs into Jakob think of Johann Cross first and foremost?

Enough of them do that he starts printing leaflets about it...

Quote from: Amber Williams on June 22, 2009, 05:09:07 PM

http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/pf69_dorcanbubble.png

...now, tell us what Mink said  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Heh. Nice face. But why does he think about his own face anyway? Is it some kind of technique to prevent thought reading? Or just to look cute?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on June 22, 2009, 05:44:10 PM
Heh. Nice face. But why does he think about his own face anyway? Or just to look cute?

I'll be honest - I don't know.  Ren might tell us tomorrow, but I left it in because it looked cute.

Oh... I almost forgot:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/projectfuture/pf69_wuss.png

Jairus

Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

!KCA

I'm pretty sure the :< bubble is a way to show Dorcan's emotions without physically giving him that face. (His actual expression comes pretty close, though.)

Quote from: Amber Williams on June 22, 2009, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 22, 2009, 05:12:10 PM
http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/pf69_dorcanbubble.png

...now, tell us what Mink said  >:3
Quote from: Jairus on June 22, 2009, 06:23:40 PM
Ditto.
Togetic. :I

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Gabi on June 22, 2009, 05:44:10 PM
Heh. Nice face. But why does he think about his own face anyway? Is it some kind of technique to prevent thought reading? Or just to look cute?
Kinda like !KCA said, the face represents Dorcan's emotions rather than any particular thoughts. Apparently, he feels tiny and miserable in the presence of "Johan Cross". :B

Quote from: Jairus on June 22, 2009, 06:23:40 PM
...now, tell us what Mink said  >:3
Ditto.
I support this thought as well.

Sprocketsdance

:giggle Mr. Cross in a lab coat is way more scary than the ominous black coat. I can't help but think of... er... 'the doctor' *shudder*.

But it's nice to get more of a visual on what Johan's theatrics looked like (subdued lighting and such).  >:3  Somehow it's more scary than what I pictured >.<

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on June 23, 2009, 12:43:49 AM
:giggle Mr. Cross in a lab coat is way more scary than the ominous black coat. I can't help but think of... er... 'the doctor' *shudder*.

But it's nice to get more of a visual on what Johan's theatrics looked like (subdued lighting and such).  >:3  Somehow it's more scary than what I pictured >.<

See also page 35.

Sprocketsdance

Oh MAN!! How could I forget!?  Maybe it's because I just finished reading CJP... but wow.. I think I just piddled myself..

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on June 23, 2009, 04:54:04 AM
Oh MAN!! How could I forget!?  Maybe it's because I just finished reading CJP... but wow.. I think I just piddled myself..

Not quite the reaction I'd thought of.  By the way, in case anyone is wondering about Jakob's thought-reading powers, he's just being polite.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: wuffnpuff on June 23, 2009, 04:54:04 AM
Oh MAN!! How could I forget!?  Maybe it's because I just finished reading CJP... but wow.. I think I just piddled myself..
And Dorcan already pictured Johan as an ominous figure before once. :B

Corgatha Taldorthar

*yanks thread off topic* I just re-read the comic and was looking at the way Jakob holds things. Is he left handed?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 23, 2009, 09:20:21 AM
*yanks thread off topic* I just re-read the comic and was looking at the way Jakob holds things. Is he left handed?

He's ambidextrous. 

However to be honest, the real reason is that I've flipped one or two frames, e.g. the one where he's holding the toothbrush.  With the logic probe, he's holding that in his left hand because he's using his right to search for the pulse train generator.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Ahhh, a comic so dedicated to details. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Keep it up!
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 23, 2009, 09:30:50 AM
Ahhh, a comic so dedicated to details. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Keep it up!

I'll be frank.  While I do pride myself on research and attention to detail, Jakob's handedness wasn't something I kept a close eye on.  It certainly wasn't part of the spec I gave Ren.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Being quick on the mental feet is also good :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 23, 2009, 09:44:52 AM
Being quick on the mental feet is also good :P
Heh, thanks.  Well, handedness is something that would be advantageous to a shapeshifter to be able to change for identity-theft reasons, so retcon or no, I'm going to assume that he's learned to do that over the last thousand years or so.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Jairus on June 22, 2009, 05:04:44 PM
Enough of them do that he starts printing leaflets about it...

This is Johan Cross. This is not Johan Cross. Learn the difference! It could save your life!

I need to re-read the original story you've got, but I've forgotten if Dorcan actually remembers Jakob from his days as Johan, or if he's just got an ominous feeling. For some reason I suspect the former. Which makes me wonder why Jakob doesn't shapeshift some feature of his as to cast off suspicion or the recognition of elderly creatures he might have dealt with in his ignoble past. Unless I'm being dense, and he already has...:P

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on June 23, 2009, 09:56:16 AM
I need to re-read the original story you've got, but I've forgotten if Dorcan actually remembers Jakob from his days as Johan, or if he's just got an ominous feeling.
He's just about old enough to have met Cross in person, but he hasn't.  However he has heard many horrible stories (and seen that TV series).  There are in fact some interesting rumours that Dorcan's family has heard which crop up eventually, but it gives away a little too much for now.  If I remember, I'll bring it up after/during chapter 10 (must bug Keaton about guest strips).

QuoteFor some reason I suspect the former. Which makes me wonder why Jakob doesn't shapeshift some feature of his as to cast off suspicion or the recognition of elderly creatures he might have dealt with in his ignoble past. Unless I'm being dense, and he already has...:P
Yeah, that's basically what Kris was.  And Jakob does use that disguise again on a few occasions, but at the same time he recognises that if he wants the trust of people he has to deal with regularly, it's best to be upfront about these it (pranks on Joshua notwithstanding).

Madmann135

Yak is running out of convenient pranks to play on his androids but we all know that he is a trickster at heart though quite honest.
I wonder what extents Yak will go to prove that John Cross was an act to play a bad guy and the reports were altered.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Garsemor

Androids, villains who aren't actually villains and adorable  :< faces. You just have to love the comic.

Zedd

Half the time I feel your Ryo Bakura

Tapewolf

Quote from: Garsemor on June 25, 2009, 03:24:45 PM
Androids, villains who aren't actually villains and adorable  :< faces. You just have to love the comic.

Thanks, glad you like it.

In other news, I've finally got the line-art for A Walk In The Woods which will be updating tomorrow.  The main comic may be a day or two late - we'll have to see.