double feature movie reviews the hangover and land of the lost. (spoilers

Started by GabrielsThoughts, June 11, 2009, 04:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

Land of the lost is bad, it's a movie with a tvshow production budget at best. Anyway, this is the entire plot. Discredited by NBC's Matt Lauer, a scientist becomes an elementary school science teacher, depressed and suffering from excessive consumatory behavior the scientist is on a downward spiral.  when a woman walks into is life and tells him that he was right, he immidiately runs off to radio shack and peices together a boombox that will allow them to travel sideways in time (you know like in sliders, if sliders were filmed in hell) anyway they wind up somewhere in the nevada/arizona desert... I'm thinking it's nevada, they enter a cave somewhere where they get sucked into a parallel dimension.... an alien can return them to their home world, but it is really a ruse to  recover their boom box, [ because apperently neither the alien nor scientist  can make a new one from all the junk laying around and miraculously falling from the sky] anyway it is soon discovered that the the alien need the boombox to take over the earth, the female lead is kidnapped they've doomed all of the world, and the scientist gets eaten by a t-rex....  after the clearing a blockage in the T-rex's anus  the scientist and dinsaur become best friends and everyone stops the alien invasion...the discredited scienmtist tells mat lauer to suck it... and by suck it I can only assume he, the scientist,  is reffering to his light saber (if you catch my meaning)

The Hangover. Like Amos and Andrew,  this movie relies heavily on suprise to tell the story. Ironically it does this and has every  "let's go to vegas and Par-TEY" WHOOOOOO! stereotype EVER produced by hollywood. Okay so these guys got to vegas...wait I'm telling it wrong. A Jewish dentist, a Catholic school teacher, and a pedofile <--- and I mean that literally ... take their best friend Doug to Las Vegas  to celebrate his final days of bachelorhood. Okay, so the perverted one slips everyone drugs (either Extacy, Roofilin, or Both), while on the roof of Caesars Palace.... then they apperently steal a police car, Carrot top's chicken, Mike Tyson's pet tiger, and generally seem to  piss off the asian mafia when they rip off $80,000... they wake up the following morning and try to solve the mystery of the missing groom, and they rescue the drug dealer that supplied the pedophile with the drugs in the first place...and they solve the mystery of their missing friend doug...not to be confused with the drug dealler that supplied Tom Green's clone with the drugs

I have to be honest with you If your freinds consist of a pedopile, "and" a school teacher, I'd find better friends... heck, if I was a school teacher I wouldn't even associate with someone that knew a pedophile, but then again this is a movie and it was played for crude humor.  
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

bradypodidae

So I take it that's a enthusiastic two thumbs down for both of them... I'm not a movie goer except when playing Favorite Uncle. I doubt I will see either films unless a niece/nephew wants to see Land of the Lost. After reading your review and my own gut reactions after seeing the trailers/interviews I hope I can bribe the little rascals out of that one.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

GabrielsThoughts

i don't know land of thelost is 1.5 stars and the nangover is funny, but it wouldn't be funny the second time around.... the hangover is heavy on the surprise, definately an adventure/mystery/drama but I wouldn't give it more than 3 stars for a first viewing.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Sunblink

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on June 11, 2009, 04:43:54 PMand the scientist gets eaten by a t-rex....  after the clearing a blockage in the T-rex's anus  the scientist and dinsaur become best friends

I am most definitely seeing this movie.

Although to be honest, Gabriel, I didn't see much of a review in your post. Just a really verbose description of the plot.

GabrielsThoughts

I couldn't really review either movie, without revealing much more about the story than I did without spoiling the enjoyment  either movie would have provided...although concidering how bad they are I would probably be doing people a favor... on the other hand, I thought wall-e was god aweful bad, and it seems the majority enjoyed that one, even though the dialog and the future presented was held in the most insulting and negative light of humanity. If the Future of Wall-e was to be beleived, there would have to be absolutely no renewable resources on planet earth.... as such the movie presents a bold faced lie. Not unklike, and probably worse than, those presented in Disney's Pocahontas.

Alondro

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on June 14, 2009, 05:50:39 PM
I couldn't really review either movie, without revealing much more about the story than I did without spoiling the enjoyment  either movie would have provided...although concidering how bad they are I would probably be doing people a favor... on the other hand, I thought wall-e was god aweful bad, and it seems the majority enjoyed that one, even though the dialog and the future presented was held in the most insulting and negative light of humanity. If the Future of Wall-e was to be beleived, there would have to be absolutely no renewable resources on planet earth.... as such the movie presents a bold faced lie. Not unklike, and probably worse than, those presented in Disney's Pocahontas.

Yeah, in general most movies with a 'message' tend to bash you upside the head with it and then rape you for good measure.  :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Sofox

There are a bunch of problems with the world in Wal-E, but you accept it simply because the premise is "last robot left on Earth" and you'd know from the start that they'd have to plug together a bunch of implausible scenarios to construct that scene.
My problems with Wall-E were different.
- It was a love story. They thought they were being innovative, because it was love between robots, but really it wasn't, because the robots were Hollywood style (ie. they were effectively humans with emotions for no readily explained reason). I do have to confess there was one very touching scene that got an emotion from me, but most of it I just didn't find interesting.
- My biggest gripe was that they took on a gigantic social issue with deep and meaningful ramifications and completely forced it into the template of a generic plot structure, completely stripping out all the potential discussion of the issue. Spoiler: It's mainly when the humans are given the choice to return to Earth. They'd been sitting spoiled on spacecraft with every luxury and suddenly the captain is telling them they're returning to a place their ancestor came from 8 centuries ago. What would the effect of this be on a population? Surely some would want to stay, and some would want to return? That would lead to conflict, issues about where a "home" actually is, the difference between a real planet and a fabricated one, how the old meets the new, the sprit of adventure vs. the feel of comfort, issues of a sudden change brought to a static society, the unease brought upon by your entire world threatening to change. You could easily make an entire movie based on this simple premise.
Instead, the plant goes into the core, and everyone is instantly happy to return to Earth. Cue credit sequences depicting how civilisation instantly thrives despite no real work ethic or skills among the entire workforce. Way to paint a completely airbrushed and unrealistic depiction of the human race Pixar.

VSMIT

I expected The Hangover to be a lot worse than it was.  I expected it to be a kind of Will Ferrel style of comedy, but it was quite a bit better (by my standards, anyway.  Others may disagree with me).  As Gabriel said, it relies heavily on surprise.  I thought it was clever, but I wouldn't want to see it again.  I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars, due to the plot, which was pretty good (4 guys go to Vegas and can't remember what happened, they try to piece it together the day after).  The comedic aspect of it doesn't make me want to give a rave review about it, but it doesn't make me want to puke, either.  It's a nice balance, in my opinion.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Alondro on June 14, 2009, 06:40:27 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on June 14, 2009, 05:50:39 PM

Yeah, in general most movies with a 'message' tend to bash you upside the head with it and then rape you for good measure.  :3

"Have you ever tried simply turning off the tv, sitting down with your kids, and hitting them?"

Alondro

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on June 15, 2009, 02:00:06 AM

"Have you ever tried simply turning off the tv, sitting down with your kids, and hitting them?"

I don't have kids.  I'd have to beat up other people's kids.  But then I'd go to jail.  Stupid laws.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif