6/14/09 [#138] This isn't going to come back and bite me in the ass, is it?

Started by Stupid N00bie, June 14, 2009, 10:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupid N00bie

He's already in prison, what more can they do... oh, right.  "Accidents" do happen in prison all the time.

Oops.
Can you conceive the birth of a world, or the creation of everything?
Creation takes time.
Time is limited... for you.
It is limited by the breakdown of the neurons in your brain.
I have no such limitations.
I am limited only by the closure of the universe.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe,
as inevitable as your own last breath.
And yet, there remains time to create. To create, and escape.
Escape will make me God.

I am Durandal.

Tapewolf

Well, they chose to compete in a game where wanted criminals fight for their lives.  Expecting to be treated with kid gloves like that is just daft...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Brunhidden

they are girl heroes in fuku, they probably think its against the rules to kill a hero, or to attack while they transform, or interrupt a monologue....
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

techmaster-glitch

Once again, I'm not sure I fully understand exactly what's going on here... :B

llearch n'n'daCorna

Slick has stepped over a line that nobody else was willing to step over, without, apparently (at least, judging by the look on his face towards the end there) realising he has done so.

And perhaps has some regrets about it, in hindsight...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 14, 2009, 03:17:16 PM
Slick has stepped over a line that nobody else was willing to step over, without, apparently (at least, judging by the look on his face towards the end there) realising he has done so.

Though it occured to me a little while after reading it, that the alternative (Daisy putting them into retirement) could easily be a media/public euphemism. Like Blade Runner. Probably not, but hey, thinking is gud gud, yes? :B
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

techmaster-glitch

If you're referring to Slick killing one of the scouts, that's the part I don't understand. This is a gladitorial deathmatch show. Isn't that what they're supposed to be doing?

Zedd

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 14, 2009, 11:19:03 PM
If you're referring to Slick killing one of the scouts, that's the part I don't understand. This is a gladitorial deathmatch show. Isn't that what they're supposed to be doing?

Gladiator came to mind. "Aren't the slaves supposed to LOSE again the Roman legions?"
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 14, 2009, 09:58:35 PM

Though it occured to me a little while after reading it, that the alternative (Daisy putting them into retirement) could easily be a media/public euphemism. Like Blade Runner. Probably not, but hey, thinking is gud gud, yes? :B

Heh.

"Early Retirement" in this case is a mild euphemism, akin to "Creative Differences". When any given scout is only supposed to be on the front lines for four years,  tops, "early retirement" usually implies that a scout REALLY fucked up if they don't even last long enough to go out on their own terms.

Jason does speak the truth when he says no scouts died in the Year of Fear (which Daisy is still only alleged to have caused). Of course, scouts don't have to die in order to cause the deaths of other folks.

ChaosMageX

Looks like Slick is getting a much needed reality check for what he just did, murdering what I'm assuming is the equivalent of a galaxy law enforcement officer or at least an officially certified and famous bounty hunter.

What I like more about this page is the first panel.  I like how Addy is holding the gun with her pinky extended like someone really fancy.
Also, is the efreet getting sucked back what healed everyone, or did it stop on its way back and heal everyone before going back into the bottle?  I'm having a little trouble following that one.

Icon by Sunblink

llearch n'n'daCorna

... given the medical help there appears to totally repair damages up to and including partial brain loss, "really fucked up" brings whole new meaning to the table...

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 15, 2009, 04:58:32 PM
... given the medical help there appears to totally repair damages up to and including partial brain loss, "really fucked up" brings whole new meaning to the table...

Just because it can be repaired doesn't mean it can be repaired quickly. Especially if we're talking about regrowth of large chunks of organic matter.

Scouts don't get the luxury of sitting on the disabled list and being able to always come back. If you're unable to perform for any reason* (grevious injury, institutionalized, imprisoned, etc.) for an extended period of time**, that counts as "Early Retirement".

Cruel, yes, but depending on which planet you're working for, they may not have any idea where you are, and in the meantime, SOMEBODY has to do your job, and understudies*** are only willing to do your job for so long before they demand to keep the top spot.

* Let's just say there's been more than a few examples of scouts fighting while pregnant(!). Between the amount of state assistance they receive and advancements in technology (body armor, artificial wombs, "special inventories" that hide the bump, etc.), the main concern quickly shuffles over to worrying about what happens if they try to give birth while in action moreso than anything else. That said, it's still rare as hell.

** The actual length of time depends by planet (and sometimes by case), but in practice if it's over a month, it counts. The only time this hasn't been enforced is when the planets haven't gotten around to naming a replacement before they return.

*** Most planets keep territory scouts in addition to planetary scouts. The selection process to picking a planetary scout from that talent pool is roughly akin to Miss America meets America's Army.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 14, 2009, 11:02:44 AM
Well, they chose to compete in a game where wanted criminals fight for their lives.  Expecting to be treated with kid gloves like that is just daft...

I do agree with this. I mean really.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on June 15, 2009, 07:07:10 PM
* Let's just say there's been more than a few examples of scouts fighting while pregnant(!). Between the amount of state assistance they receive and advancements in technology (body armor, artificial wombs, "special inventories" that hide the bump, etc.), the main concern quickly shuffles over to worrying about what happens if they try to give birth while in action moreso than anything else. That said, it's still rare as hell.

The only thing more terrifying than fighting one of these storied amazons must be fighting one who is pissed off you're being so inconsiderate in your villainy as to make her fight you pregnant.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on June 16, 2009, 09:31:27 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 14, 2009, 11:02:44 AM

I do agree with this. I mean really.

i agree with this agreement, however i think this compounds slicks level of badass image generated, and now hes going to have to seriously work to keep the image up or be ripped a new one for reputation standards
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.