[Costuming] Start up of Scythe 3.0

Started by thegayhare, May 20, 2009, 10:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Do to an error in storrage the last scyth blade I constructed met with an unfortunate end
(warning never leave anything constructed from hot melt glue in a car, in direct sunlight on a hot summer day)

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/2276483/

So in that respect in the hopes that I will make it to fur fright I've started work on another scythe.  In order to hopefully be allowed to carry it around I'm compleatly remaking the prop from the ground up.  New handle new blade everything.

To that end I have the first step in the re imagined scythe

This is the mold in which I will cast the hot melt blade...

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/2307435/

Unlike the first version which had 12 LED Christmas lights this one has 40 separate LEDs wired by me the layout seen in this version isn't final I start laying on the hot melt I'll be able to set the lights in a more even pattern

To that effect I'll be using a double boiler to melt the glue sticks to more evenly distribute the hot melt glue

thegayhare

damn damn damn

the double boiler was a flop it just couldn't evenly melt the glue in the quantities I needed

so I tried putting a metal bowl in the oven an poof perfect

so far I've got the first layer melted and placed but I've already managed a pretty sever burn on a finger thats starting to blister up...

Oh well time for the next batch

thegayhare

well bad news all It seems 2.0 is dead

I belive the heat wasw just to much for the LEDs

what a waste.  I'll have to scrap the whole project and start from scratch

bradypodidae

"There is no such thing as a failed experiment, only experiments with unexpected outcomes" -  Richard Buckminster Fuller :zombiekun2
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

thegayhare

Well I've started planning Scythe 3.0

I've built a new mold, and I'm looking into using clear cast resin as the blade material, with some blue resin dye for the blade color as well as the blue LEDs

I'll have to wait to get the resin since I am now broked, I'll also have to get new LEDs.  I think I'll only get 20 this time.  I should need fewer for a resin blade but now I'm worried about placement of the lights.

I figure I can place them in a bar flormation like this

D========
D==========
D============
D==============

But I'm guesing that would only light up the edges
Unless I introduces a form of impurity, maybe mixing in a little hobby glitter

the other Idea would be to place the leds along the top edge facing downwards that way the wires *which I could paint blue* would be along the top edge and not realy in the line of sight

But I'm not sure how that would work

thegayhare

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/2323212/

Well this is the first step in my plans for my next scythe blade

I made a mold first and this was a 3 part test

Part 1 testing if its water tight and after 3 starts and stops I managed to get it right

Part 2 was testing to see how much resin I'd need. It's about 80 Ounces and thats with out the battery space or the suport struts. I may need less since it seems a bit thick at 80

and Part 3 is testing the light output. I figured water would be a good substitute for clear resin. I used red lights because I was out of blue. I'm not sure if there is enough light output though

I think my next test will involve adding a little glitter to the water to get a some better light and a few more lights a little spread out

Turnsky

edit: scratch that.

for a good result, have some wet & dry polishing stuff on hand for cleanup.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

thegayhare

Quote from: Turnsky on May 26, 2009, 04:18:27 AM
edit: scratch that.

for a good result, have some wet & dry polishing stuff on hand for cleanup.

Err... okay

*is confused*

LionHeart

"Wet and Dry" is a kind of very fine sandpaper, used for sanding and polishing automotive paint between coats. It is, as the name implies, sometimes used with water.

Hope that helps.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

GabrielsThoughts

is this still for the death rat costume? if so, you could put/add  cob-webs over a shoulders like a sash or something and add a fake spider just to give it an extra deadly oomph
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

thegayhare

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on May 26, 2009, 05:50:28 PM
is this still for the death rat costume? if so, you could put/add  cob-webs over a shoulders like a sash or something and add a fake spider just to give it an extra deadly oomph

Yep it's still for the death of rats

I just used Red leds to test the color saturation when I make the blade for real I'll have some new blue LEDs

Hmm I don't know I don't remember cobweds in the death of rats desc.  I am thinking about getting a plush raven and looking into making a tiny death or fleas toy

llearch n'n'daCorna

For what it's worth, the scythe is only supposed to glow on the edge.

At least, that's my understanding... but I'm just picky like that. ;-]

The pics look good, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 30, 2009, 01:42:50 AM
Well, if you made sure the LED shines only into the blade itself, you might get a similar effect...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 30, 2009, 01:42:50 AM

At least, that's my understanding... but I'm just picky like that. ;-]

The pics look good, though.

Oh I know but personaly I think it looks better if the whole thing glows  but with this new design it might look similer  I'm thinking of trying to make it an edge to the scythe so that it'll be brighter then the rest of the blade. 

But should the rest of the blade be transparent