Ghostbusters

Started by Teroniss, May 26, 2009, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teroniss

So I recently checked this game out, out of curiousity, and holy crap! Aside from the fact that the graphics engine they created for it looks amazing, they have the original actors doing the voices for the game (save Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis), and the story sounds awesome.

Anyone who was a diehard Ghostbusters fan will definitely appreciate several of the eastereggs in the game, such as the Gozer exhibit and Vigo exhibit in the museum, as well as the re-appearance of several old enemies returning as the spirit world begins to spills over into the living world. On top of that, the game will be (even with Ghostbusters 3 in the making) a more accurate sequel to the first two movies, in that it is written by Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd. (The new movie is not, and will be written by two completely unrelated writers.)

Here's the official trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyVGSGynYpg

Cvstos

I've bee waiting for this one for a while now. Can't wait. I grew up with Ghostbusters.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Keleth

Ooo, I didn't realize it was out yet.

Must get!
Help! I'm gay!

Cvstos

Street date is June 16 in the USA. Not quite yet. Just a couple more weeks!
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Teroniss

Dan Aykroyd just called to remind me to pick up my copy tomorrow, and to bring games to trade in .___.

Tipod

Wonder what happens if you cross the streams in multiplayer.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Teroniss

I'm more curious if they are going to do a "Game with the Cast" multiplayer event like they do for some of the more popular titles.

Cvstos

Quote from: Teroniss on June 15, 2009, 03:34:53 PM
Dan Aykroyd just called to remind me to pick up my copy tomorrow, and to bring games to trade in .___.

Are you serious? XD I'm going to be next to my phone all day now. I knew GameStop sometimes did stuff like that for Mario titles but I never thought they'd do it for Ghostbusters!

EDIT: I just checked my messages, and there it was! XD HILARIOUS! At least I know they're supporting the game in a halfway decent manner. Everyone go and buy this tomorrow!

Jairus

Quote from: Teroniss on June 15, 2009, 03:34:53 PM
I know! It was so freaking awesome! I can't wait to give this game a try.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Teroniss

This game is officially epic awesome. I mean holy crap, Ramis and Aykroyd did an amazing job.

Kafzeil

I'll likely have to rent this at the very least, I mean, a GOOD Ghostbusters game?! Holy crap!

Plus, It'll be the closest thing to a Ghostbusters 3 in my mind.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Keleth

Urrrrrrrrrg

Need to sprout money from my ass or the money tree in order to get this anytime soon DX
Help! I'm gay!

Cvstos

A short first-impressions review: Well, I've played it. Haven't beaten it yet. But I've played most of it, judging by the Trophies I have.

And I have to say, the game kicks ass.

It's not without it's flaws. I had to put it on easy because even the medium difficulty is going to give you trouble unless you're a power gamer. Good look getting that "Beat the game on Professional" gold trophy. The ghosts have a lot of HP and you don't. (I suppose it makes sense since they're already dead and you're not, but that doesn't help gameplay.)

The load times are long when you die, and you will die, although the ones in the story are disguised by movies so that's not quite as bad.  

The friendly AI will try to help you out but they aren't quite up to par - their health is no better than your and sometimes it feels like you're the legend and they're the rookies, rather than the other way around. (A large nitpick, I know, but I wanted to mention it.) On higher difficultly levels you almost feel like a medic, reviving them.

Also, the game will end. I don't want it to end! :(

Other than that, this game is PURE Ghostbusters. Every little corner of this is Ghostbusters. Every level and every little environmental, visual, and audio detail is pure Ghostbusters. It feels like you're a Ghostbusters. You're wrangling ghosts into traps and it feels GREAT. (If Silverfoxr doesn't get this, she'll regret it.) In that aspect, it's the Ghostbusters game the fandom has always wanted. And WOW, the levels are something else. The visual design is amazing. And there's so much Ghostbusters lore and fanservice here it's amazing. You even find out more about the Gray Lady (the library ghost), and there's more to her story then you ever thought from the first movie.  AND SHE'S IN MY GHOST TRAP NOW!  :mwaha Busted! 

(We need a Ghostbusters smilie.)

IMO, anyone who has seen and liked either or both of the movies should pick this one up, and anyone who considers themselves a fan will love it.

Azlan

Just remember, if someone asks you if you are a god... say YES!
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Teroniss

Yea, Ray got possessed again, Venkmen got slimed again, Egon still likes experimenting on both, and Winston still "loves this town!"

Btw, Cvstos, you're going to get a kick from the Easter Egg style ending/final boss thing

Keleth

So what versions did you guys play?

Noticing a huge style difference between the Wii and the 360/PS3.

I own a Wii, and I'm not sure if I should save up for this title for when I get a 360 :o
Help! I'm gay!

Teroniss

eh, from the reviews I read, they put alot more work into the PS3 and 360 versions of this than they did the Wii one, and it comes out as being subpar as a result.

Cvstos

Yeah, get the 360 or PS3 version if at all possible. This is where the Wii's graphical weakness becomes painfully clear.

And yes, I got a kick out of the ending :D  Although still, it's an ending. Want... more...

Keleth

Okay, caved and got a 360 arcade yesterday and the game. (though why I bought instead of just renting it for a week I don't know. Lulz)

I loved this game. I dont' think I ever had so much fun romping around in these levels. Even poking around scanning for artifacts and stuff was interesting.

Also, setting fire to things? Watching the "Oh shit look how much you cost us in damages" the reactions from some of the NPCs like the hotel manager?

And oh man, the dry wit, I was laughing so hard throughout the duration of this game. I loved it, but then again, it does take a certain. . . sense of humor ;) and a love for property damage.
Help! I'm gay!