G.I. Joe Resolute

Started by thegayhare, May 17, 2009, 09:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Recently I've been hearing about how disappointing the Trailer for the upcoming live action GI Joe movie is. 

So Since the feeling may be spreading as more people see the trailer I thought I'd spread the good word for disillusioned Joe  fans.

If you want to see a good recent G.I. Joe story look up Resolute.  It's a more adult take on the Joe series with more realistic weapons, real fatalities, including a 3 named chars (possibly 4 but that one was simply shot once and left for dead could be alive), no ejecting right before a hit, and a pretty decent story line.  The pacing is a little weird since it was created and released in 10 minute eps but still it's pretty freaking cool.

The new version of Cobra Commander is awesome, cold, brutal, and deadly. everything needed in a ruthless dictator.  He's even got a great Monolgue in the early part of of the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbAkqnIWxI
Spoiler Warning the monologue mentions the death of a named char... course since this death happens seconds into the film it's not much of a spoiler

So for any Joe fans out there I realy sugest you find a copy of this.

And for anyone who's seen it tell me what you think?

Ryudo Lee

That was freaking awesome.  I like it better than what they did with Masters of the Universe.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

thegayhare

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 18, 2009, 06:24:57 PM
That was freaking awesome.  I like it better than what they did with Masters of the Universe.

Are you talking about the 2010 movie?  I've seen the trailer linked but haven't watched it yet.

One of the things I love about this bad ass Cobra Commander is that the writers don't simply act like this was how he always was.  they acknowledge the orriginal cowardly inept as some sort of machivilian scheme to force his subordinates to think for themselves.  Mostlikely the true intelect and might of cobra was focused on these long term plans such as the one featured in the resolute movie while the more laughable one (carving his face ontp the surface of the moon, and the like) distracted the world from the real threat and sometimes held the outside chance of victory.

Ryudo Lee

I meant the animated series they remade of Masters of the Universe.  It was good, but I still have fonder memories of the old show.  But this remake of GI Joe just blows away the old show in it's entirety.

I too liked how they made Cobra Commander all badass too, but at the same time kept his rhetoric the same (no taking over my command, follow my orders, etc etc).

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Paladin Sheppard

That was fantastic! Great find TGH thanks for sharing! I'm a huge GIJOE fan.

thegayhare

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 20, 2009, 09:01:27 AM
I meant the animated series they remade of Masters of the Universe.  It was good, but I still have fonder memories of the old show. 

Oh that was pretty good too

Thats what I thought you ment at first but I spotted the trailer for the new movi

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on May 20, 2009, 10:37:48 AM
That was fantastic! Great find TGH thanks for sharing! I'm a huge GIJOE fan.

Glad you liked it I realy wish they took this and made it it's own series
Granted it would probably have to be on adult swim but still it would kick so much ass

King Of Hearts

I watched this a month ago, started out strong... but fell apart to the old TV show cliches by the end though.

Stormshadow vs Snakeyes was awesome though... as well as the Duke/Scarlet gun kata scene.

Kafzeil

Resolute seems like it was pretty much made with fans of the original cartoon in mind, and thus, the more mature story telling and themes.

Plus, it was written by Warren Ellis, which is pretty damn awesome in its own right. I mean, the man created Spider Jerusalem for crying out loud.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Sofox

Hmmmm, there were tons of American animated series that came to Irish shores making it easier to relate with the nostalgia of others on the internet, but the G. I. Joe cartoon series completely didn't make it.
I only knew of them as a range of action figures, didn't even know there was a 80s cartoon until the 00s.

GabrielsThoughts

when I first saw the trailer for G.I. Joe I thought they were making another one of Ray Bradburys stories into a movie.... then I learned it was G.I. Joe... and felt stupid.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.