So I watched Oliver and Company recently for the first time...

Started by Sofox, May 23, 2009, 07:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofox

It's an awesome movie. Growing up in the early 90s, I had a soft spot for the the sort of atmosphere, styles and, most important, fun attitude of the time, so it's great to see it represented so well in the movie. The animation is great, the characters are fun, and I love the songs which have a great beat and energy to them.

One thing, though, I could not look at Tito without thinking of Biggs from DMFA. Must be the green headband combined with the brown fur and red hair as well as having huge confidence in himself despite his diminutive stature.

Zedd

Cue the song "Why should I worry?" that was a great song

Sofox

Definitely, it was so great.
Mixed really well with the animated scene too.

Funny thing by the way, this movie is the second under appreciated Disney movie I've seen recently for the first time that reminded me of DMFA, the previous one was The Emperors New Groove which had a sense of humour I thought was a little DMFAesque (such as the use of TEH AWKWARD).

Alondro

And now..

Shall we look for O&C pr0n?

(I'll bet there's plenty.)   :rolleyes
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Kenji

Definitely one of my favs.
S'where my kitten got his name from. Course, he even had to go through the whole almost dying at mere weeks old to top it off...

GabrielsThoughts

It's not often you see disney literally kill off a villain... and that's the only thing I rememger from the movie other than apsotively posolutely
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Kafzeil

Yeah...Sikes and his dogs death was pretty graphic...for a Disney movie at least. Not nearly as creepy as Frollo's Death in Hunchback though...*Shudders*

Anyone else notice Disney villains often die brutally?
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Kenji

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Kafzeil on May 27, 2009, 12:24:04 AM
Yeah...Sikes and his dogs death was pretty graphic...for a Disney movie at least. Not nearly as creepy as Frollo's Death in Hunchback though...*Shudders*

Not in an absolute sense--in the original Snow White, the wicked witch had to wear hot shoes and dance herself to death.

In the original Cinderella, the stepsisters mutilated their feet and were blinded by birds pecking at their eyes.

On the other hand, sometimes the suggestion of violence (leaving it to the imagination) is worse than showing it....

Personally, I found Hopper's demise creepy (in A Bug's Life).

Brunhidden

the term 'disney ending' seems to ignore how often the classic and good Disney movies ended with the satisfying closure of a dwarf crushing an old lady with a boulder, the evil uncle being devoured by hyenas, the witch getting an unsolicited knife donation, the fat lady having a fatal case of boat, or the greedy butler dying of asphyxiation inside a locked trunk.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Brunhidden on May 27, 2009, 06:19:26 PM

the term 'disney ending' seems to ignore how often the classic and good Disney movies ended with the satisfying closure of a dwarf crushing an old lady with a boulder, the evil uncle being devoured by hyenas, the witch getting an unsolicited knife donation, the fat lady having a fatal case of boat, or the greedy butler dying of asphyxiation inside a locked trunk.

Technically the old lady was trying to crush the DWARVES and then lightning struck the precipice she was on and she fell...but I think I know what the others are: Scar, Maleficent?, Ursula, and Edgar (from The Aristocats).  And those are accurate.

Kafzeil

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 27, 2009, 01:05:33 AM

On the other hand, sometimes the suggestion of violence (leaving it to the imagination) is worse than showing it....

Personally, I found Hopper's demise creepy (in A Bug's Life).

Yeah, the creepiest are the ones that left your imagination fill in the gap.

Though, when it's shown, it can be just as bad. Casepoint: Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the freaking Dip....

Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Alondro

The Dip was awesome. 

I realized Judge Doom was a toon about a quarter of the way through.  Cuz I'm smart.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Netrogo

Unless I'm mistake the first MAJOR Disney film to not kill off the villain at the end was 101 Dalmation. Cruela went through the big horrific thing that happens to all villains, in her case a car crash, but at the end of the crash she's sitting there yelling at her 'two idiots'.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.