05/16/09 [DMFA #1002] - Understanding

Started by Raiettei, May 16, 2009, 02:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terrion

Quote from: Goatmon on May 16, 2009, 05:26:49 AM
Wait -  Grandson?

Dan's just two generations separated from a clan founder?  o_O

Well, Cyra could be omitting a few (or a whole lot of) greats in there for simplicity's sake. Or not.

As for "Only Three Remain"... Well, that's open to interpretation:

Last 3 in Clan Cyra: Cyra/Destania/Daniel

Last 3 decendants of Cyra: Destania, Dan, and some other cubi

Last 3 direct decendants of Cyra: As above, but clan has more members who are of branch lines.

Last 3 members who are able to communicate coherently in this manner: In which case, Destania is really dropping the ball on maintaining a cool and unique ability...

Last 3 members who are still on the Dream Communication Friends & Family Unlimited Minutes Plan (which raises many more questions)...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Terrion on May 16, 2009, 06:30:18 AM
Last 3 members who are able to communicate coherently in this manner: In which case, Destania is really dropping the ball on maintaining a cool and unique ability...

The ability to dream fades with time.  Destania's something like 7026 years old.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Raskahn

Love the expression in panel 3 But it kinda looks like Dan got hit by the "scrawny bat" again  :P

Stig Hemmer

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2009, 06:37:45 AM
The ability to dream fades with time.  Destania's something like 7026 years old.

Heh, my first thought was that Dee had learned to shield her dreams to avoid being chatted to death by her mother.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Dan asks Abel for that in the morning.

And the question remains: Why isn't Cyra physically present?  Not right here and now, but some time during Dans lifetime.  Either Destania have been hiding herself and her family, or Cyra simply have no physical presence anymore.  There may be other reasons, but I can't see any.

No wait, speculation time: Cyra is held prisoner by the dragons, and Dee is working to release her, the hard way.
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Stig Hemmer on May 16, 2009, 08:04:25 AM
No wait, speculation time: Cyra is held prisoner by the dragons, and Dee is working to release her, the hard way.

I think it's more likely to be 'Destania syndrome' where she's holed up in some unlikely place to avoid detection.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2009, 08:12:03 AM

I think it's more likely to be 'Destania syndrome' where she's holed up in some unlikely place to avoid detection.

or in plain sight.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Wanderer

Oh for the love of all that is holy Dan! Has it never occurred to you that if you would just LISTEN to what some of these people are saying you might find out something important? Stop being such a dunce! :rant

Arcblade

Hehe.  She gets less awe-inspiring by the second.  Oh well, Cyra is still awesome. 

Tycoon

Quote from: foxxfurry on May 16, 2009, 04:04:43 AM
Hi, I believe it's  from "Kenny Rogers, Coward of the County"

Or it could be from "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)" by the Beastie Boys.

(No link since Youtube apparently hates Europe or something  :B)

Quote from: terrionLast 3 direct decendants of Cyra: As above, but clan has more members who are of branch lines.

So Cyra is forcing Dan to beware his aunt Morgan for she wishes to kill him off an install her daughter Pearl as the main family...

Oh wait, wrong series.

Keleth

Quote from: Turnsky on May 16, 2009, 08:25:13 AM

or in plain sight.

Oh my god it all makes sense now!
Help! I'm gay!

Naldru

Is it possible that the dragons decided to wipe out the Cyra clan because Destania saved one of the Siar clan from being destroyed? That would explain why both Destania and Aniz are both such head cases and it would tend to explain Destania's comments to Fa'lina.

Destania saves Aniz's life and ends up getting her own clan wiped out.  Therefore, Destania now wants to destroy Aniz because she is so angry.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Aniz has survivor guilt for his own clan and feels responsible for the destruction of Cyra's clan.  It would make being in Destania's presence awkward.

My other thought is that we are going to see the events in Abel's story and the main strip interacting.  This could indicate the end of Abel's story in a few months.

Perhaps Cyra doesn't approve of Destania's plans and doesn't want to risk the last few members of the clan vanishing.  Perhaps Destania doesn't dream because she doesn't want to hear Cyra's comments.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Ghostwish

or in plain sight.

Yah, see, Dan really doesn't have a half-sister..  :B

Anyway, I think Cyra is stating that Dan is descended specifically from her, being a true grandson instead of just another member of the clan.

Raffe

Quote from: Drathorin on May 16, 2009, 09:17:34 AM

or in plain sight.

Oh my god it all makes sense now!
YES! Destania=Cyra! Of course! :B
Hooray ellipsis!

Turnsky

Quote from: Ghostwish on May 16, 2009, 09:18:19 AM

or in plain sight.

Yah, see, Dan really doesn't have a half-sister..  :B

Anyway, I think Cyra is stating that Dan is descended specifically from her, being a true grandson instead of just another member of the clan.

:shapeshifters

need i say more?  >:3

She could be hiding as that plushie Aary gave dan oh so long ago, or one of the basement rats.. or even a barfly of lost lake, you never know!

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2009, 06:11:02 AM
Either way, Dan is personally important to his Founder, which is pretty impressive.  How tolerant she'll be of his lifestyle is another matter.  And just what is she going to do when she learns it was Destania who sent her darling grandson to his near-death?

Now someone needs to draw a pict of Cyra holding Destania up over the blender... ;)

Psaakyrn

Of cause, Cyra may simply have found a way to hide/mask their psychic connections/emissions , which would probably a) prevent the dragons from tracing the Cyra clan via bloodlink, b) make the Cyra clan nearly impossible to detect via such means (which we've heard inkings of such a situation), and c) make it nearly impossible for Cyra to trace down her own subjects too. (it's likely Dan's own near-death situation (arguably nearer than the other near-death ones) allowed Cyra to track Dan down via pain-link)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Naldru

That assumes that Destania isn't like Jin in Wapsi Square.  Perhaps Destania borrowed Harry Potter's cloak of invisibility and was watching the fight, ready to give DP a quick stab in the back or Dan a quick dose of healing as required.  Remember that Dumbledore in the Harry Potter series was perfectly willing to sacrifice Harry, whom he loved like a son, to obtain his goal.

Remember that it was Destania who allowed Fi to get drunk.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Arcblade

Quote from: Deebs' giraffe on May 16, 2009, 09:20:37 AM
YES! Destania=Cyra! Of course! :B
[/quote]

Nuuuu!  My sanity!  My precious, precious sanityyyyyyy!  Nuuuuuuuuuu!

Think Cyra's lonely much? 

Lucheek

I don't think their are only 3 in the Clan...maybe just 3 that are -directly- related to Cyra (via blood.)

Also, I'm waiting for her to pinch Dan's cheeks.  :3

Garsemor

Maybe Cyra killed Regina and took on her rowel to keep super secret. Who would expect a evil, immature and lazy demon who Dan hates to be in fact Dan's grandmother who loves him. It's all a shared she is doing to point her identity off track.

Jairus

Quote from: Garsemor on May 16, 2009, 10:26:30 AM
Maybe Cyra killed Regina and took on her rowel to keep super secret. Who would expect a evil, immature and lazy demon who Dan hates to be in fact Dan's grandmother who loves him. It's all a shared she is doing to point her identity off track.
Highly unlikely, considering we've seen Regina's thoughts in action. And if she was really Cyra, she'd have revealed herself to Dan.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

GabrielsThoughts

maybe she's chatty becuase she hasn't spoken to anyone in so long. but that could get annoying really fast.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Garsemor

Quote from: Jairus on May 16, 2009, 10:33:07 AM
Highly unlikely, considering we've seen Regina's thoughts in action. And if she was really Cyra, she'd have revealed herself to Dan.

Cyra is a tri-wing we have know idea on what the can all do. how can you know she didn't fake her taught and if she is hiding she might not want to revel her self and blow her cover. All things can happen when it comes to Cubi tri-wings.

Jairus

Quote from: Garsemor on May 16, 2009, 11:24:17 AM

Cyra is a tri-wing we have know idea on what the can all do. how can you know she didn't fake her taught and if she is hiding she might not want to revel her self and blow her cover. All things can happen when it comes to Cubi tri-wings.
Why would she fake her thoughts for an audience she does not know exists? I mean, sure, she could have known that Dan was reading her thoughts and faked them up, but in that case Cyra is an amazing actress the likes of which the world has never seen. And then there's the fact that in private Regina still acts like Regina, and not a scheming Cubi tri-wing. Edward=Aniz is believable. Regina=Cyra is not. No, Regina is Regina and Cyra is hiding somewhere where she cannot be found. Otherwise, it's just too complicated and confusing.

Teh_Hobo

Quote from: Jairus on May 16, 2009, 11:28:51 AM
Quote from: Garsemor on May 16, 2009, 11:24:17 AM

Why would she fake her thoughts for an audience she does not know exists? I mean, sure, she could have known that Dan was reading her thoughts and faked them up, but in that case Cyra is an amazing actress the likes of which the world has never seen. And then there's the fact that in private Regina still acts like Regina, and not a scheming Cubi tri-wing. Edward=Aniz is believable. Regina=Cyra is not. No, Regina is Regina and Cyra is hiding somewhere where she cannot be found. Otherwise, it's just too complicated and confusing.
You know that since you've said that, Amber is going to come up with something completely ridiculous to surprise everyone.
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

Tapewolf

And then there's the fact that in private Regina still acts like Regina, and not a scheming Cubi tri-wing. Edward=Aniz is believable. Regina=Cyra is not. No, Regina is Regina and Cyra is hiding somewhere where she cannot be found. Otherwise, it's just too complicated and confusing.

Actually, I think Regina might be Cyra. Only in strips 998 and 999, though.  Destania did something very similar to Abel, after all.  (But for a much more sinister purpose than Cyra seems to be doing).

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2009, 11:38:29 AM
And then there's the fact that in private Regina still acts like Regina, and not a scheming Cubi tri-wing. Edward=Aniz is believable. Regina=Cyra is not. No, Regina is Regina and Cyra is hiding somewhere where she cannot be found. Otherwise, it's just too complicated and confusing.

Actually, I think Regina might be Cyra. Only in strips 998 and 999, though.  Destania did something very similar to Abel, after all.  (But for a much more sinister purpose than Cyra seems to be doing).
But that's just in a dream, not in real life. So, the real Regina is still not Cyra. And yes, I find it likely that Cyra was at least somewhat manipulating Dan's dreamscape.

Lucheek

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on May 16, 2009, 10:55:51 AM
maybe she's chatty becuase she hasn't spoken to anyone in so long. but that could get annoying really fast.

Or because she's a grandmother.  :P

Kabbalist

Hmm... The potential speculation opportunities make my head hurt. So, going on what I've actually seen in the comic (that I remember)...

1.) Cyra called Dan her grandson, and I did notice when she appeared that there was a significant resemblance between herself and Destania. Thus, when she refers to Dan and Destania being her only remaining descendants, I'd say that she means "direct/immediate descendants" as opposed to extended relations, clan members by marriage, etc. Basically, she might have a lot of great-great-great-great....grandchildren/nieces/nephews of some kind, but Dan and Destania are her the only ones that she considers close enough to her to be "family." Then again, there might really only be a few 'Cubi in Cyra's clan.

2.) Cyra has chosen to approach Dan psychically while he dreams, and that was apparently her preferred way to talk to Destania too. That might be because in person she has the whole "gaze upon me, mortals, and despair" thing going on, but I think it's more likely for the same reason Destania chooses not to visit: she's a major player in supernatural politics (or wars), so her presence would probably attract the attention of entities that Dan and Lost Lake (and maybe even Destania) aren't prepared to handle yet. In other words, a direct visit would blow their cover.

3.) I still haven't decided if she's going to be a loving grandmother that really wants to help him become more powerful for the sake of his own well-being, or if she's going to help him now so that he can be part of her Machiavellian schemes at a later date. Then again, she could be both. Goodness knows human grandmothers are capable of that kind of thing, so imagine what 'Cubi family machinations could be like!

Arcalane

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2009, 11:38:29 AM

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EpilepticTrees