'Cubi Timeline... (confused)

Started by Jigsaw Forte, May 18, 2009, 11:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw Forte

Okay, so:

-> We know Fa'lina founded SAIA at some point after her own clan was destroyed during "a war", which hasn't been explicitly said to be the same Cubi / Dragon War that Abel's currently getting filled in on.

-> However, Fa'lina also mentions that Destania was very much like Dan and not wanting to attend SAIA "at his age", implying that SAIA already existed by then, even if Clan Cyra did not.

-> And then at some point, a (matured) Destania and Aniz get together, right before, oh, a dragon goes and wipes out the rest of his clan, an event that is still within a recent enough timeframe (a few centuries) that both Aniz and / or Destania are still quite sore about it.

So... assuming everyone involved is telling the truth (Okay, it's a stretch since these are all Cubi telling us these stories)... were there two Cubi wars going on -- one several millenia ago (about the time Fa'lina makes SAIA) and one much more recently (That wipes out Siar)? Did Cyra have Destania / her clan founded roughly around this same time, or a little bit afterwards?

A lot of the background doesn't make it clear whether the wars mentioned are the same one or two separate wars, which, since we need to assume Destania's had at least 500+ years to become an adult and Cyra is considered a powerful clan in its own right, must have taken some time to occur... And I wouldn't think the middle of a war is a great time to "get your clan on", especially if in doing so you end up fragmenting from a larger clan by virtue of taking the rest of your bloodline with you (rather than staying with said older clan and contributing to its strength).

A war that spans several millenia isn't out of the question, but given the otherwise peaceful nature of SAIA / within Abel's story, either they have a very slow pace and definition of war more akin to a Hatfields / McCoys type of feud, the battlefields are few and far between, or there's quite a few Cubi/Dragon wars in question...

Tapewolf

Here's my 2p:

Firstly, someone got a figure of "about 7000 years ago" for the founding of SAIA.  That would be consistent with Destania entering the Academy at Dan's age if she was one of the first students.  Unfortunately I have no idea where that figure came from.

I have also read that the dragon war ended several millennia ago - which means that Siar happened afterwards, since Aniz is younger than that if he's still alive in the present day.

One possible reading is that there was a Cubi-Cubi war (the Clan Wars) and also a Dragon-Cubi war (the Dragon  Wars), but we don't really know enough to be sure.  Indeed, by that reading some of the information is contradictory.  On the other hand it has been suggested that the dragons provoked the Clan Wars, so it might be two different aspects of the same thing.  We don't have enough information.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

Just because there is a date in the history books that say when a battle ends, it doesn't mean the grudges end that day as well.

Netrogo

Wars may come and wars may go, but hatred goes on forever...
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Netrogo on May 18, 2009, 04:13:09 PM
Wars may come and wars may go, but hatred goes on forever...

Especially when it's between Creatures who are practically immortal.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Netrogo

I suppose that's one benefit to the lack of longevity of us humans. We can only carry our own grudges for a century at best. Although there are some creative ones that have transended that.

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Netrogo on May 18, 2009, 04:17:10 PM
I suppose that's one benefit to the lack of longevity of us humans. We can only carry our own grudges for a century at best. Although there are some creative ones that have transended that.

Alternately, with real longevity, we might eventually learn to take a bit of a larger perspective on things and let go of personal grudges, rather than have inherited grudges that end up becomin almost (or all the way) mythologized.

Aganerral

Until people pass it on to their kids and grandkids and it continues for generations (Hatfields vs. McCoys being a prime American example)

Netrogo

That's the kind of thing I was implying with the 'creative ones'.

Naldru

There are some grudges in the middle east that are currently over 1500 years old.  Actually, I should reword that.  The grudges between Persia (Iran) and Babylon(Iraq) are probably over three thousand years old.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Netrogo

Alright so we're filthy little grudge bags that won't let anything, even something as pesky as death, stop us from hating for centuries to come...

Ghostwish

Humans are creatures of hate. It's tied into an old survival instinct against predators that we've gone and reworked to aim on each other. Marvelous beings, aren't we?

*nukes drop*

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Ghostwish on May 18, 2009, 07:43:20 PM
Humans are creatures of hate. It's tied into an old survival instinct against predators that we've gone and reworked to aim on each other. Marvelous beings, aren't we?

*nukes drop*

We are beings of hate and love and curiosity and boredom and ambition and lust and compassion and selfishness and selflessness and fun and and and and and... There's a whole lot of "evolutionary debris" in us, including, most interestingly, enough of it coming together to judge itself and reject some aspects in favor of others. Don't drop the nuke yet. :)

Ghostwish

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on May 18, 2009, 07:54:59 PM
Quote from: Ghostwish on May 18, 2009, 07:43:20 PM

*nukes drop*

We are beings of hate and love and curiosity and boredom and ambition and lust and compassion and selfishness and selflessness and fun and and and and and... There's a whole lot of "evolutionary debris" in us, including, most interestingly, enough of it coming together to judge itself and reject some aspects in favor of others. Don't drop the nuke yet. :)

But.. but.. the shiney red button! :<

Heh, it's true. All and all, we're some very interesting apes. No wonder the aliens keep abducting us. I bet you we're prime time entertainment.

Kasarn

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 18, 2009, 12:12:11 PM
Firstly, someone got a figure of "about 7000 years ago" for the founding of SAIA.  That would be consistent with Destania entering the Academy at Dan's age if she was one of the first students.  Unfortunately I have no idea where that figure came from.

http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum2516.htm#ref5

inuhanyo

Quote from: Kasarn on May 18, 2009, 09:13:21 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on May 18, 2009, 12:12:11 PM

Someone, anyone, add a citetation to the wiku wiki, quick!

Azlan

Quote from: Kasarn on May 18, 2009, 09:13:21 PM

Nice find.  Remember times can be subject to change, but this figure has remained somewhat constant.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Turnsky

Quote from: Naldru on May 18, 2009, 05:25:56 PM
There are some grudges in the middle east that are currently over 1500 years old.  Actually, I should reword that.  The grudges between Persia (Iran) and Babylon(Iraq) are probably over three thousand years old.

and i bet you it was over "who cut the cheese?"  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Ghostwish

Quote from: Turnsky on May 19, 2009, 05:57:01 AM
Quote from: Naldru on May 18, 2009, 05:25:56 PM

and i bet you it was over "who cut the cheese?"  >:3

Seconded! Maybe it was over which side of the plate the wine glass needs to be on?

Netrogo

Quote from: Ghostwish on May 19, 2009, 08:50:40 AM
Seconded! Maybe it was over which side of the plate the wine glass needs to be on?

It's the left right?

bradypodidae

Quote from: Netrogo on May 19, 2009, 10:17:58 AM

It's the left right?
Right!
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Ghostwish

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on May 19, 2009, 11:40:56 AM
Quote from: Netrogo on May 19, 2009, 10:17:58 AM

It's the left right?
Right!

Now, by that, do you mean the left, or the right? Or possibly the other right?