The DMFA Timeline

Started by Netami, July 16, 2006, 08:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netami

http://www.shakytable.com/DMFA_Timeline.htm (You'll have to refresh your browser as I update it to see the new changes)

Some things I'd like to know, if anyone has the information:

1. When was SAIA formed. UPDATE: Sort of got an answer, I'm happy with an approximation.

2. When did the Cubi War start and end? (When cubi were sought to be destroyed).

3. Solid date for Edward Ti'Fiona's birth.

4. First and second encounters between Dan and Dark Pegasus, possibly including dates of death and rebirth.

5. When did Dan become an Adventurer? Was there schooling involved?

---

I tried to segregate times into "eras," but after seeing Abel's Story I knew it just wasn't gonna happen. Then and even now there's such a huge gap in city civilizations. True, Jyrras is the lead of technology in current day, but even back in Abel's day there were great gaps between a small hamlet and a sprawling city.

To assume that things like cars, computers, airplanes, etc came out about the same time as us (if the comic is six years after it started and it's 2006, then computers would be about  20-30 years old and automobiles / airplanes would be as old as they are to us now) would be pretty hasty.

Nikki

been waiting for this XD
Thanks muchly! and good job =3

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Gabi

Nice job! This could be a useful reference. Thanks for compiling it!
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

I tip my hat to you, running around as I am trying to maintain integrity between the fan stories :)

And thanks a bundle for adding Jakob.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nikki

now i gotta decide where to place my new story...

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Xze-Xze on July 16, 2006, 08:27:48 PM

If you mean like, 'what thread', I'm wondering about making one for backstories in the art section since I'm too selfconscious to make one just for me..
If you mean what location to act as the setting, that's not something I can really help with.

must sleep now

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nikki

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 16, 2006, 08:35:02 PM
Quote from: Xze-Xze on July 16, 2006, 08:27:48 PM

If you mean like, 'what thread', I'm wondering about making one for backstories in the art section since I'm too selfconscious to make one just for me..
If you mean what location to act as the setting, that's not something I can really help with.

must sleep now
XD both actually...

GabrielsThoughts

In the timeline for my fancomic Kria is about fourteen when Cid Encounters her in the food court. Since in my AU Cid is 23years old that would place his birth at around 404 B.C.  However my timeline doesn't nessesarily reflect the timeline represented  by Amber in the actual Abel story. My story takes place aproxamately 5 years before Abel is born, and is being retold between 4 and 6 years after his birth.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Netami

I suggest creating a seperate thread for your own background stories and other information relating to your character, like their stats and such.

As far as timeline goes... If you're a being, it's going to be somewhat dreary unless you place it closer to modern day. Unless of course your character is an ancient hero and you're telling the tale of how a being from 6,000 years ago managed to save a town from an evil medusa lady using only his wits and conan-like strength.

If you're a creature? Eh, doesn't matter. You jerks live way too long.

Amber Williams

Question: I'm a bit fuzzy-headed, but how did you come up with the timeline estimation of when the Undead Race was created?  Its a bit way off from my personal notes and I'm unsure if its due to something I've already put in the comic or Demonology 101, or if it was something I typed in forum that is off-info.

Netami

When Admon wanted to know how to gauge his age, we asked how old the undead race was (along with the specifics of Rebecca's life) and I recall it being said that the undead was a race only a couple hundred years old. So I just put 200 there.

Are you at liberty to give me a closer date?

Amber Williams

Basically the night Rebecca died was the night the undead rose from the grave.  So way less than 200...but I was probably being a dork trying to be vague about the age at the time...hence the confusion.

Netami

Nice.

However, if it came about when she died, I have another question: Is the undead race limited to only those that died in or around Rebecca's time of death, or can people that die these days, or say hundreds of years ago with Admon, rise from the grave as well?

Amber Williams

I'd say the answer depends on the preservation and the race.  If there is something worth animating, then odds are yes.  Beings are generally the easiest to Undead as they don't have conflicting energy and magics. 

Not everyone who dies today will turn undead..for that to happen in modern times they need to have some form of contact with undead 24 hours or so prior to their own death.  The spell itself that caused the initial rise would have likey affected anything affectable within the time of the spell duration...as it was expected that the Undead army would simply fill their ranks with the fallen enemies thus not needing a constant spell.

If Admon was preserved enough to be brought back, then he likely would have been affected by the spell at the time it hit.  It really depends on how well preserved...and I'm not about to tell someone the physics of brain-matter decomposition or bla bla bla when I have magical fae kitties in my own story.

Netami

He was stuck in ice as a being, so he'd probably be one of the few that would fit the bill.

Hmm, the whole undead cult killing thing must have been much more recent than I originally thought.

Alright, I've updated the timeline to reflect this information.

EDIT: Ink, I recall you stating your character's age sometime ago when the question of Fa'lina's age and powers came about. What was it, again?

Kasarn

Quote from: Netami on July 16, 2006, 08:05:24 PM
1. When was SAIA formed.

Providing Amber hasn't changed anything, I'm still going off circa 7000 years ago
http://nice.purrsia.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=002516;p=1#000003

Also, that Undead thing probably came from here
http://www.missmab.com/graphics/C_January.jpg.
I don't know who would say 200 years... but then, you'd need the old calender to know that and your RP was probably before Amber released the calender publicly (and by publicly, I mean secretly... buried deep inside a forum thread)

RJ

I'm not very good at maths... but if RJ is 438 in the current comic timeline, she was born ten years before Aary was. Can you add that in?

Netami

Seven thousand or so, eh. Makes sense, and of course the cubi slaughtering would have come before that. Thanks for letting me know an approximate date. As for the undead thing, with the new information the undead race wouldn't even be over a hundred years old. 35 or so, really... Remember we figured this all out from Rebecca's age, which was taken from a discussion about Moira's age when the thought of her having another child came into view.

RJ, I've added it along with the SAIA thing, your math was correct.

admford

Some really nice work Netami :mowsmile Though, how did you manage to do all fo it without going nuts searching for this info in all the 600+ DMFA comics? But still, very much impressed :mowsmile

Netami

75% of that is information found off the featured character's in the Demonology 101 section. The rest is just little stuff Amber's mentioned, and of course our fanfiction works. It wasn't too hard, and I wish I had some sort of timeline software to work with, but nothing great exists out there as far as I know.

King Of Hearts

Ah, lovely, I was looking hard for something like this to help base a short story on... Admittedly, since Ive been here not that long, most of the sources aside from the strip are already too developed out for me to digest in haste.

Would it be too much to ask for a Character History/Bio List next?

Netami

The cast list does a pretty good job of summing up a character, and I don't personally feel like there's been anything too huge in the storyline since they've last been updated. If someone died, got married, had kids or something it'd be pretty big... But going to the mall isn't so much so.

Amber's just lucky we haven't bothered her for a map of the world yet.

Paladin Sheppard

King Of Hearts

Well the cast list is nice enough, but the extended characters need some love as well.

Netami

Extended characters as in frequent cameos (Ink), or just anyone associating themselves in the fan fiction works? I'm sure everyone's that written something involving their character has done a profile about them, but there's no universal format as of right now. I guess we could come up with one that is fair.

King Of Hearts

Yeah, I was thinking of something like a collective effort for evryone who has ever been involved to centralize and streamline the DMFA universe. It would be quite an ambitious undertaking, though.

James StarRunner

Hey, I'm in there! I guess I would be 10 when I met Pal. Sounds about right.

Netami

As you can see from the timeline, I'm not very good at layouts. The best way to keep profiles, in my opinion, is to use some sort of wikipedia website and chronicle it there. Granted you'd still need to come up with a format, it'd look a hell of a lot nicer, index and category wise,  than some crappy thing I threw together.

*Shrug*

King Of Hearts

*raises hand*

O yes, I was meaning to ask, when did dark Pegasus' first two attempts for villiany occur? And from what age was Dan an Adventurer? And what was Alyka before she was a phoenix?

Kasarn

Quote from: King Of Hearts on July 17, 2006, 01:47:14 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of something like a collective effort for evryone who has ever been involved to centralize and streamline the DMFA universe. It would be quite an ambitious undertaking, though.

The problem is that the official world is fairly light-weight and examples of society and culture are sparse.
Really, stories set in the DMFA world probably have more fanon in it than DMFA has canon.

Not that that's stopped anybody before!
To my knowledge, most fictional universes (Star Wars, Forgotten Realms etc) pretty much worked like that in their early days.