why is foxfire chronicles taking so long to update?

Started by KiloCharlie, April 19, 2009, 05:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiloCharlie

really, why? i've been checking for months and so far, no new comic... was it cancelled or somthing? i can't stand these long waits! someone please explain it to me...

Tapewolf

Quote from: KiloCharlie on April 19, 2009, 05:08:03 PM
really, why? i've been checking for months and so far, no new comic... was it cancelled or somthing? i can't stand these long waits! someone please explain it to me...

Turnsky's not in a good way at the moment.  There is in fact an announcement on the Ariannia version of the strip ( http://www.ariannia.com ), though he's not updated the livejournal (forgotten?).

To cut it short, he's been assailed by a flurry of bills, then his mother had an accident and broke her ankle, so updating the comic isn't exactly his top priority right now  :<

See also:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,5880.0.html

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

It's been nearly a month since the last update.. (but not quite) so months is a bit much.  If you check the news posts, you'll note that Turnsky has hit a bit of a rough patch.  Between bills (which he announced) and an injury to both himself and his mother he's been a bit busy.  I'm not quite up on all of the details though.  Hopefully that helps you a bit.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I do have to wonder, though.

How much are you paying for these updates, KiloCharlie? Just out of interest?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ShadesFox

Or even made any donations.  There are bills to pay ;p
The All Purpose Fox

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 19, 2009, 05:16:54 PM
Quote from: KiloCharlie on April 19, 2009, 05:08:03 PM

Turnsky's not in a good way at the moment.  There is in fact an announcement on the Ariannia version of the strip ( http://www.ariannia.com ), though he's not updated the livejournal (forgotten?).

To cut it short, he's been assailed by a flurry of bills, then his mother had an accident and broke her ankle, so updating the comic isn't exactly his top priority right now  :<

See also:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,5880.0.html

dislocated, broke in three places, and her shin to boot.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Kabbalist

Kilo Charlie,

I can understand your desire to see the comic update. Really, I can! I think we'd all like to see that. However, as has already been mentioned, Turnsky has shared some very good reasons for the slow-down in updates. Judging from the way you phrased your initial question, I can only guess that you were either unaware of Turnsky's current situation (even though the news is right here in the forum) or you were actually trying to stir up an indignant response from the rest of the forum. There's also the remote chance that English isn't your first language and thus you have trouble with diplomacy, but I rather doubt that. 

So, to sum things up:

1.) Ninja bill attack!

2.) His mother's ankle experienced a critical failure in structural integrity, so he's helping her out as he can.

3.) Turnsky hurt his knee (if I recall correctly) while helping his mother, so he too is in pain and suffering reduced mobility.

4.) Probable bills and medical expenses from the injuries.

In other words, the comic is something he wants to do, but it's not the top priority right now. Caring for family and making ends meet are eating up most of his energy right now.

So now you know.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Kabbalist on April 20, 2009, 12:19:32 PM
There's also the remote chance that English isn't your first language and thus you have trouble with diplomacy, but I rather doubt that. 

Come on now, language doesn't have to be the cause for diplomacy troubles. Two parties could speak the same language, dialect and have the same social/political background and still have trouble with diplomacy. :mowwink
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Turnsky

1.) Ninja bill attack!

2.) His mother's ankle experienced a critical failure in structural integrity, so he's helping her out as he can.

3.) Turnsky hurt his knee (if I recall correctly) while helping his mother, so he too is in pain and suffering reduced mobility.

In other words, the comic is something he wants to do, but it's not the top priority right now. Caring for family and making ends meet are eating up most of his energy right now.

So now you know.

i'll try and eke out an update next week, either way.

1) ninja bills still attacking, hopefully my stimulus-package jutsu as well as paypal-fu will take them out.  :3

2) my mother's always had bad ankles, this is one of those "only a matter of time" things, again, she not only dislocated her ankle, but broke it in three places, and fractured the small bone of her shin to boot. and yeah, i'm trying to help her out where i can, unfortunately i'm not exactly what one would call.. 'thrify in housekeeping'  :<

3) knee's much better, although apparently i'm suffering from arthritis in that joint, as well as gout..

4) thank god for medicare, the only bill's the crutch rental.

Kabbalist

Wait... You mean your medicare is actually paying for something?!  :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kabbalist on April 21, 2009, 02:27:22 AM

They do that, y'know.  In Wales, medicine is actually free (yes, this surprised me too).

Quote from: Turnsky on April 20, 2009, 10:10:54 PM
i'll try and eke out an update next week, either way.
Don't put yourself out over it.  I'm sure you could probably get some kind of fan-art if need be.

Quote3) knee's much better, although apparently i'm suffering from arthritis in that joint, as well as gout..
Ack!  Is that some kind of weird genetic condition?  I've not heard of arthritis in someone that young before.  The universe really doesn't seem to like you, does it?

Turnsky

Quote from: Kabbalist on April 21, 2009, 02:27:22 AM

aussie medicare caters relatively well to us unemployed types.  :3

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 21, 2009, 04:50:54 AM
Don't put yourself out over it.  I'm sure you could probably get some kind of fan-art if need be.
i'd like that, but how many artists actually read foxfire?  :U

Quote3) knee's much better, although apparently i'm suffering from arthritis in that joint, as well as gout..
Ack!  Is that some kind of weird genetic condition?  I've not heard of arthritis in someone that young before.  The universe really doesn't seem to like you, does it?
actually it might be a knockon effect from another medical condition i have, known as ulcerative colitis, i won't go into the gory details here, a little google time should enlighten most to know that it's a particularly nasty little thing.

and no, the universe seems to have something against me these past few years.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Turnsky on April 21, 2009, 05:17:46 AM

Give me some time to think on it, and I'll see if I can't come up with some stick-figure art for you. ;-]

... threat of that should bring some artists out of the woodwork...

Tapewolf

Ink springs to mind, unless he just appears in the strip for show or something  :3

I'd look at doing something myself, but my own skills are lacking and I don't really want to rope Ren into it on top of everything else he's doing at the moment.

Mao

If I had any faith in my ability to churn something out, I would.

ShadesFox

The All Purpose Fox

Sicill

Something tells me that you're referring to webcomic artists and/or who draw anthropomorphic people. Not to someone who makes charcoal landscapes and basic pencil sketches of inanimate objects.
Well then, I'm useless.

At least there is the possibility of a comic update.

ShadesFox

can you scan a charcoal landscape?  In that case trying to recreate some form of Ariannia landscape could be cool.
The All Purpose Fox

KiloCharlie

Kilo Charlie,

I can understand your desire to see the comic update. Really, I can! I think we'd all like to see that. However, as has already been mentioned, Turnsky has shared some very good reasons for the slow-down in updates. Judging from the way you phrased your initial question, I can only guess that you were either unaware of Turnsky's current situation (even though the news is right here in the forum) or you were actually trying to stir up an indignant response from the rest of the forum. There's also the remote chance that English isn't your first language and thus you have trouble with diplomacy, but I rather doubt that. 

So, to sum things up:

1.) Ninja bill attack!

So now you know.

i'll start off by saying that DAMN this forum gets responses fast! that is, compared to others i've visited...
so,
1. i apparently had missed a news section on the main page, so i'll be sure to keep an eye out next time...
2. English IS my first language, and i was NOT trying to stir an argument and the like...
3. even though i was aware that the answer to my question was located somewere in the recesses of the forums, i had neither the time, nor the patientce to search through them to find the answer... so this was the quickest and easiest route...
4. i hope Turnsky and his mother recover quickly and wish them the best!

-Kilo ^^

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: KiloCharlie on April 23, 2009, 12:05:27 AM
i'll start off by saying that DAMN this forum gets responses fast! that is, compared to others i've visited...

8 minutes is a little unusual, even for here. ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: KiloCharlie on April 23, 2009, 12:05:27 AM
3. even though i was aware that the answer to my question was located somewere in the recesses of the forums, i had neither the time, nor the patientce to search through them to find the answer... so this was the quickest and easiest route...

I think what may have thrown some people was that all the most recent posts in the Foxfire forum were about it.  It looked a little weird.

Anyway, since I don't think I said it before, welcome to the forum.  Don't forget to read the rules, be good, have fun etc.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 23, 2009, 03:41:51 AM
8 minutes is a little unusual, even for here. ;-]

To be fair, I had a vision of Turnsky reading it and having some kind of anger fit so there was a sense of "Must... defuse... situation..." about it  :3

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 23, 2009, 04:33:19 AM
To be fair, I had a vision of Turnsky reading it and having some kind of anger fit so there was a sense of "Must... defuse... situation..." about it  :3

me? angry?.. naw, if i had an anger fit, the moon would turn blood red and i'd unleash those four horsemen that folks worry about all the time.  >:3

Lisky

What, only 4?  Last time i got angry the sun went dark for 3 hours, and the land ravaged by 7 flaming-ninja horsemen, all carrying rocket launchers with chainsaw bayonnettes...   

and this is where i ran out of ideas to make it any more insane...  :3

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Mao

Quote from: Turnsky on April 23, 2009, 04:54:33 AM

me? angry?.. naw, if i had an anger fit, the moon would turn blood red and i'd unleash those four horsemen that folks worry about all the time.  >:3

Seriously man?  Just because I gave you my e-mail address doesn't mean you can call on me and the guys just anytime you get into an anger fit.  I mean.. we've got murdering, pillaging and burning of our own to do you know.

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 23, 2009, 10:29:40 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on April 23, 2009, 04:54:33 AM

Seriously man?  Just because I gave you my e-mail address doesn't mean you can call me and the guys just anytime you get into an anger fit.  I mean.. we've got murdering, pillaging and burning of my own to do you know.

just remember, the last time i got slightly miffed, bush got elected.  >:3

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Turnsky on April 20, 2009, 10:10:54 PM
3) knee's much better, although apparently i'm suffering from arthritis in that joint, as well as gout..

4) thank god for medicare, the only bill's the crutch rental.

I suppose your health care is already taking care of it, but if you can find WD-40 over there, that's reported to be good for gout. We sprayed it on Grandma's legs when she got it and it helped.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Kabbalist

Wow...I go away for a few days and miss about half of a discussion! Ah well, it happens that way sometimes. Sorry for getting prickly with you, Kilo Charlie. Like Tapewolf said, I came to some of my more indignant conclusions because the information was still pretty close to the surface. Also, I kinda go "grumpy guard dog" (or maybe attack cat) when I'm worried about someone.

actually it might be a knockon effect from another medical condition i have, known as ulcerative colitis, i won't go into the gory details here, a little google time should enlighten most to know that it's a particularly nasty little thing.

*shudder* You've got my sympathy, Turnsky, both on the creaky joints and the medical condition. If I may briefly slip into lolcat mode...

Crohn's Disease. I haz it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: AmigaDragon on April 23, 2009, 11:53:25 PM
I suppose your health care is already taking care of it, but if you can find WD-40 over there, that's reported to be good for gout. We sprayed it on Grandma's legs when she got it and it helped.

... penetrating motor oil, and it helps gout?

Wow. Not expected.

AmigaDragon

Penetrating? Yes. Motor oil? I wouldn't quite say that. It's also reportedly good as a fish attractant on artificial lures. Possibly because it's made with fish oil (unconfirmed urban myth). You can find both uses via internet searches (which I suppose you did before replying).