04/18/09 [DMFA #993] - Rapid Growth

Started by Cvstos, April 18, 2009, 04:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on April 19, 2009, 01:50:51 AM
i  don't  see Dan as tri-wing materiel not not for about 10K  to 20K years

I suspect think it's a several thousand-year project that usually takes lots and lots of souls.  Simply having the crap kicked out of you by a demon probably won't give enough energy for an ascension >:3
Amber has said it also has a big reject rate, resulting in the death (and very possibly outright destruction) of the one making the attempt.  If Dan ever becomes tri-winged throughout the lifetime of the strip, I'll eat my hat.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

inuhanyo

Quote from: SpottedKitty on April 18, 2009, 05:43:52 PM
I find myself agreeing with something said upthread a bit. Remember that the power of any particular Warp-Aci depends on the amount of power the summoner used. And Fi was summoned by Fa'Lina (who is scarily powerful), but now it's had its "ownership" transferred to Dan (who is... well... Dan). Did Fa'Lina think of this when she allowed the transfer? Or did she just think "well, he'll grow into it". Except Fi isn't a ten-sizes-too-big sweater...

I'll point out the key phrase is "amount of power the summoner used", not amount of power the summoner has.  Unless Fa'Lina had a reason to make them so, her Warp-Aci aren't ultra-powerful.

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on April 19, 2009, 08:33:48 AM
I'll point out the key phrase is "amount of power the summoner used", not amount of power the summoner has.  Unless Fa'Lina had a reason to make them so, her Warp-Aci aren't ultra-powerful.

But unless Fa'Lina foresaw Fi being given to Daniel (an event with dependencies on the outside world which she claimed took her by surprise), she would have assumed that it was going to be her own warp-aci exclusively.  Something that she can easily control or put back in its place if it gets too uppity may well be something that Dan or Abel won't be able to contain.

EDIT:
Indeed, making Fi more a powerful warp-aci may have been advantageous to her own uses.

AmigaDragon

I think while Abel may have been the trigger, Fi's upgrade energy came from it's connection to Dan, whether that was enhanced by Dan's clan connection or not.

Now what is this "press B fast enough" reference? All I can think of is some video game controller reference.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: AmigaDragon on April 19, 2009, 09:35:45 AM
Now what is this "press B fast enough" reference? All I can think of is some video game controller reference.

In the Pokemon series of games - at least the early ones, and I assume the later ones follow the tradition - hitting B during a Pokemon's evolution sequence will cancel said evolution and leave the Pokemon as it is.

Amber's just a nerd.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Sunblink

Oh god, I re-read the comic and I thought of something ridiculous.

"It's time for Fi to live up to his family name and face full-life consequences."

Buhamet

Hmmm........... if Fi's growth spurth was due to the increase in Dans power, what would he be like if Dan became a tri-wing? would he just get bigger, or would he change into a more efficient form (something more humaniod, perhaps?)

also, I wouldn't be prepared to entirely rule out the possibility of Dan becoming a tri-wing in the comic................ because it sounds like the kind of thing Amber might do in the future

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Buhamet on April 19, 2009, 10:27:47 AM
also, I wouldn't be prepared to entirely rule out the possibility of Dan becoming a tri-wing in the comic................ because it sounds like the kind of thing Amber might do in the future
I see two problems there: For one, Dan barely (if at all) seems to be at terms with actually being an incubus, never mind wanting to go out and steal souls. Granted, this could change in 10K years, but secondly, given the seemingly slow pace of the comic relative to real time (the Wiku Wiki reckons six months have passed in 10 or so years real time) by the time that happens, everyone here will be long dead of old age. :<
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Buhamet

Singular characters, yes

Then again, just because most tri-wings are over 10,000 years old, doesn't mean the same rule MUST apply to Dan

There are many occasions in comics and so on where a main character gains status or abilities which should take much longer (the immediate example that somes to mind is Bleach)
That, and I don't think that any comic decides to stick to the usual "rules" when it comes down to stuff like this.......... plotliness override stuff like that

Then again, if it did take place after several thousand years, it's not impossible to argue that the decendants of the original cast could be the other characters (there could be Jyrass' 10^whatever nephew there, for example), and Dan could just be watching over them all as a sort of favour to all his old friends

Amber Williams

I can safely say Dan will never reach tri-wing status in his lifetime, much less in this comics run.  I have often found that a much more rewarding challenge in writing is not seeing how to make a universe bend its rules for a character, but to see how much a character will bend their own rules to the universe.

e_voyager

then are you saying that there is no spoon?

chuckles sorry i couldn't resist with all the talk of bending the universe / reality even so it's good to know that Dan won't suddenly go form kid growing up and adjusting to his family secrets to filling the roles of Gohan, Naurto and other anime super power houses that are barely walking on there own two feet before the role is thrust upon them.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Gamma

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 19, 2009, 11:57:57 AM
I have often found that a much more rewarding challenge in writing is not seeing how to make a universe bend its rules for a character, but to see how much a character will bend their own rules to the universe.

It's LIMBO TIME!!! :boogie

Edit: Also, did anyone notice that Abel doesn't have his head-wings showing but his back-wings are?
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Ganurath

I can safely say Dan will never reach tri-wing status in his lifetime, much less in this comics run.  I have often found that a much more rewarding challenge in writing is not seeing how to make a universe bend its rules for a character, but to see how much a character will bend their own rules to the universe.
*nudges DMFA a notch toward the cynical end of the Sliding Scale of Idealism vs Cynicism*
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 19, 2009, 08:14:40 AMIf Dan ever becomes tri-winged throughout the lifetime of the strip, I'll eat my hat.

Such a shame. I was going to suggest chopping up his hat and cooking it in a nummy indian simmer sauce. (Seeds of Change, for instance,  makes some good ones. Well, at least one good one. I haven't yet tried any of the others yet.)

Aaanyways, yeah, agreed. Seeing Dan ascend in the main comic sequence would be just plain silly. (Of course, silly is not inherently bad... :))

Just curious though, are we ever going to, in the comic, see such an ascension at all? (My guess, if it's _anyone_ we already know, would be Destinia. (guess based simply on age))

Draken

Hmm....can you say Plot Important Age Up?   Or maybe Cutscene Power To The Max?

And as for the "Fi goes humanoid" theorym I reaaaalllly don't want to see that happen.....can't imagine the Fi/Dan  fanfics....   :erk
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Buhamet

Good point.......... wouldn't work well, I suppose. Fi does work better as a smaller glowing creature/animal than any sort of fully scale being.

I originally came up with the "humaniod" theory after seeing Fi say he wants hands, and it just got me thinking

As for Destania becoming a tri-wing, I'd say it's rare and unlikely, but not impossible.........

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Buhamet on April 19, 2009, 04:47:22 PMAs for Destania becoming a tri-wing, I'd say it's rare and unlikely, but not impossible.........

Sure. I just meant _IF_ it's going to happen in comic to someone, and if it's someone we already know, then she'd be my guess.

Shadowcatcher

You know, Fa'lina hinted at something happening in a couple months, with her conversation with Abel (it was suggested it was how long her omniscience would last, but I was left with the impression of something else, sort of like she was leaving).  I wonder if she's fixing to transcend.

If she's Not tri-wing material, then it really says something about the prereqs.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on April 19, 2009, 06:35:13 PM
I wonder if she's fixing to transcend.  If she's Not tri-wing material, then it really says something about the prereqs.

I would be shocked if she hadn't already transcended.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 19, 2009, 06:39:13 PM
I would be shocked if she hadn't already transcended.

I dunno, we're comparing her against other creatures who really are too young to be all that high powered.  Compared to beings, Dan, Abel, Aaryana, she's indisputably overwhelming.  Dan's mom sure didn't keep her attitude in check when speaking to Fa'lina in Fi's flashback.  And we've just seen pictures of tri-wings (ok, just one), we've never seen any in action.  For all we know, Fa'lina might be as to a tri-wing, as Dan, Abel (and pretty much everyone else attending SAIA) are to herself.

And if she *is* a tri-wing, then there's some reason she's not showing them.  Like Abel said, Cubi don't advertise themselves unless they're amazingly vain or amazingly powerful.  The same I would expect when considered ascended cubi.  Right now, I don't think she is one.  But something is supposedly going to happen in a couple months (at least I had that impression).  Curious to see what it is.

Thinking about Dan, we're probably going to see he's like Aniz - a completely *ordinary* cubi.  (No!  Not an invitation to discuss about any sort of relation between Dan and Aniz, newspaper is ready to swat anyone to tries to start that again!)   His first and recent encounter, and arguably the one before that, with DP wasn't that flattering.  He conveniently didn't have to go get the elemental fire (Lorenda gave him the vial her mom had given her.)  He had some unspecified amount of time that he could coast along using the fey "IOU Revenge" marker.  Does he actually have many accomplishments he can truly boast of, or is he all just all talk?  No one believes his tale about fighting death knights with a spork, so should we?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on April 19, 2009, 06:52:40 PM
Thinking about Dan, we're probably going to see he's like Aniz - a completely *ordinary* cubi.  His first and recent encounter, and arguably the one before that, with DP wasn't that flattering.  He conveniently didn't have to go get the elemental fire (Lorenda gave him the vial her mom had given her.)  He had some unspecified amount of time that he could coast along using the fey "IOU Revenge" marker.  Does he actually have many accomplishments he can truly boast of, or is he all just all talk?  No one believes his tale about fighting death knights with a spork, so should we?

He did a good enough job that when Queen Hollyann was kidnapped, he was the one they sent for.  Thing is, we've only really seen him in his retirement and when he was starting out, neither of which are really his prime as an adventurer.

Ganurath

Quote from: Draken on April 19, 2009, 03:42:45 PMAnd as for the "Fi goes humanoid" theorym I reaaaalllly don't want to see that happen.....can't imagine the Fi/Dan  fanfics....   :erk
Why would Fi being humanoid be a prerequisite for such fictions?  :mwaha

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Ganurath on April 19, 2009, 11:46:21 PM
Quote from: Draken on April 19, 2009, 03:42:45 PMAnd as for the "Fi goes humanoid" theorym I reaaaalllly don't want to see that happen.....can't imagine the Fi/Dan  fanfics....   :erk
Why would Fi being humanoid be a prerequisite for such fictions?  :mwaha
As weird as it is to say, Ganurath is right. In fact, Fi's current transformation wasn't even strictly necessary for such things. :tumbleweed

inuhanyo

He had some unspecified amount of time that he could coast along using the fey "IOU Revenge" marker.  Does he actually have many accomplishments he can truly boast of, or is he all just all talk?  No one believes his tale about fighting death knights with a spork, so should we?

"Easiest three months of adventuring ever!"

"Slayer of the Doomknights, bringer of peace,  friend of beer-wenches"
No disputed his titles in the Kindom of H-Ann.  Of course, some of his successes were accomplished by accident. 
Kannikah: "Remember that time you took out that horde of ice-orcs only wearing a loin cloth?"  :)

Ganurath

Quote from: inuhanyo on April 20, 2009, 12:39:06 AM
He had some unspecified amount of time that he could coast along using the fey "IOU Revenge" marker.  Does he actually have many accomplishments he can truly boast of, or is he all just all talk?  No one believes his tale about fighting death knights with a spork, so should we?

"Easiest three months of adventuring ever!"

"Slayer of the Doomknights, bringer of peace,  friend of beer-wenches"
No disputed his titles in the Kindom of H-Ann.  Of course, some of his successes were accomplished by accident. 
Kannikah: "Remember that time you took out that horde of ice-orcs only wearing a loin cloth?"  :)

Say... What if his second conflict with DP was during those three months?

Glitch: It was neccesary to give Fi options regarding position, though.

Edit: In the relationship! Position in the relationship! Yeah, that makes sense.

Lowde

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on April 19, 2009, 06:35:13 PM
You know, Fa'lina hinted at something happening in a couple months, with her conversation with Abel (it was suggested it was how long her omniscience would last, but I was left with the impression of something else, sort of like she was leaving).  I wonder if she's fixing to transcend.

If she's Not tri-wing material, then it really says something about the prereqs.

Wait a sec... You mean you don't know? Fa'Lina is actually a tri-wing, she just doesn't show it for unknown reasons

Ted Schiller

Of course Dan will reach tri-wing status in his lifetime.  However, that will be written by your granddaughter^4x10^2. :)

With regards,
Ted

inuhanyo

I'll repeat some observations I made several weeks ago:

Regina's reaction, based only on her encounter with Dan six years ago, was to clock him with the serving tray and run.  Not, hit him and follow up, but hit him and run away.  When she thought she had an opportunity to lose his pursuit, her plan was to circle around,  get a weapon and then attack him.  Regina's a demon, three years younger than Dan, but even so; she should have the advantage in strength and endurance, and to make her body hard and sharp enough she shouldn't need a weapon against an unarmed being.  Yet she feared to go hand to hand with Dan.

Then he revealed that he'd become an Incubus, and she went from scared of him to terrified of him. 

Ganurath

Quote from: inuhanyo on April 20, 2009, 01:32:38 AM
I'll repeat some observations I made several weeks ago: ...she shouldn't need a weapon against an unarmed incubus.  Yet she feared to go hand to hand with Destania's son.

Then he revealed that he'd learned how to gain from his mother's side of the family, and she went from scared of him to terrified of him. 
Editted in consideration of the possibility that Regina and DP talk to one another.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lowde on April 20, 2009, 01:28:39 AM
Wait a sec... You mean you don't know

Those who speak of what they know
Find it best that prudent silence is wise
Monsieur Lowde, hold your tongue
She will burn you with the heat of her eyes!

--With apologies to Andrew Lloyd Webber

Quote from: Ganurath on April 20, 2009, 02:13:29 AM
Yet she feared to go hand to hand with Destania's son.

Unlikely, since she referred to him as "That Adventurer's son", not "That Succubus' son" or "That child of Cyra".  'Course that would have made his transformation less shocking.