03/26/09 [DMFA #986] - He'd have expected this from Kria…

Started by Jairus, March 26, 2009, 11:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terrion

Okay, before we read too much into just how much more powerful than Aliph Kria apparently is, remember that Kria wanted to spar with Dan because she wasn't sure herself and wanted a common measure.

Also, whether she's more or less powerful is irrelevent at the moment for three reasons:

1: Aliph is severely injured.

2: Kria is fresh and ready to go.

3: Aliph just pissed off his sister, ergo Kria is really ready to go, despite her brothers injured state...

Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats

Thinking, though, brings me to the conclusion that Dan wouldn't be a common measure anymore. His power is fluctuating from adventurer to cubi, so the battle would be different from the norm, and results would be horribly inaccurate.

But yeah, Kria didn't know he was cubi at the time, so that would make sense.

I'd like to point out that this isn't the only time that adventurers have been made out as the badguys. Remember what Ink said to Dan about adventurer-slaying. Of course, being that adventurers probably are the epitome of the Creature's whole shtick about those with more power over those who have less, you wouldn't expect this to be the case... huh...
"There are things in life that we hold dear... Truths that we learn almost since the day we are born... beliefs that are solid as stone .... Then the wind blows a direction it cannot and certainty becomes an echo, and truth is sometimes deceiving."                          --Melpomene, Clan of the Cats

Sunblink

Aww, Aliph is concerned about his niece. XD I like it when there's a human side shown to the Demon race or Creatures in general.

Alondro

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 27, 2009, 08:05:42 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2009, 07:35:18 AM
Ah.  I had forgotten that, it would certainly explain it.

But I thought you had an insanely good memory for these things Tape :o

Yes, it is suspicious that 'Tapewolf' didn't remember that point.  But that's because... HE'S NOT TAPEWOLF!!!  He's actually a reverse-vampire from the Rand corporation plotting to destroy us all! 

DP is pretty stupid here; off he goes on this rant about how low-class Dan is... when his supposedly upper-class ass got kicked TWICE by Dan before he'd even learned of his Cubi powers.  Plus, hen he goes and insults Kria, he one who has to keep resurrecting him... not very bright at all.  I think Fa'lina needs to show up, eat his soul, and be done with him once and for all.   :nod
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

N-Cat

Dangit... This took so long to write that know the forum is moving on!!! Oh well...

You guys do realize that what Kria said and what Fa'lina said (while both relevant things to the subject on hand) aren't the same thing at all, right? Fa'Lina mentioned Zinvth's rulers, while Kria said that they were some of the founders.  These are wildly different things.  Let me use USA history.  John Hancock and most of the other people who founded the country are held in high prestige, but as of today, I'm thinkin' more people would respect Obama than a descendent of Hancock.
Sorry, I know that this wasn't exactly the same, I'm just saying that Fa'lina might not have been talking about the Soulstealers in Abel's Story Part Two Page Eight.  We don't now how old Zinvth was and they may have been the rulers of Zinvth for any number of years in between Abel's and Dan's stories, and if so then the prestige that they carried would have been even greater (unless they were incompetent or evil) and they would have been even more powerful of a family.

As for how Dark Pegasus knew about Dan's clan, what about the strip where Regina first appeared.  Dark Pegasus said "Destania? The Succubus Destania had a son?!?" or something to that effect.  With the exception of Pyroduck (and that one red dragon that Dan owes money to) I don't think Dragons know Dan, let alone know about Dan, let alone know he's a incubus, let alone know he's from Cyra.  I think Dark Pegasus is surprised to hear this because that it is a closely guarded secret.  If there was a celebrity(Destania) who managed to keep that they had a son secret for three years, anyone would be amazed, just like DP was.  As for how he learned, yes, it could have been an evil beachparty, but that doesn't really seem like a good place to keep a secret.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 27, 2009, 08:05:42 AM
But I thought you had an insanely good memory for these things Tape :o

Usually, yes.  This one obviously slipped me by.

Quote from: N-Cat on March 27, 2009, 09:04:52 AM
As for how Dark Pegasus knew about Dan's clan, what about the strip where Regina first appeared.  Dark Pegasus said "Destania? The Succubus Destania had a son?!?" or something to that effect.
I think we've been through that...

QuoteAs for how he learned, yes, it could have been an evil beachparty, but that doesn't really seem like a good place to keep a secret.
I don't think Destania particularly needs to keep her clan affiliation a secret.  Heck, Lost Lake Inn is full of Cyra memorabilia.  As for keeping her son a secret from the beach parties, I suspect she stopped attending those after having Dan.
That's assuming she ever attended them much - her deeds and the deeds of her ex-students would likely be among the gossip even if she wasn't there in person.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 27, 2009, 08:36:50 AM
Aww, Aliph is concerned about his niece. XD I like it when there's a human side shown to the Demon race or Creatures in general.

it is nice to see another dimension to a character.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Pagan

Quote from: Alondro on March 27, 2009, 08:50:02 AM
Yes, it is suspicious that 'Tapewolf' didn't remember that point.  But that's because... HE'S NOT TAPEWOLF!!!  He's actually a reverse-vampire from the Rand corporation plotting to destroy us all! 

Rand Corporation?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on March 27, 2009, 09:38:12 AM

Assuming of course that he isn't just concerned about his own reputation or something  :P

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2009, 09:40:23 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on March 27, 2009, 09:38:12 AM

Assuming of course that he isn't just concerned about his own reputation or something  :P

considering that he's had his black equine butt handed to him by Dan before a couple of times, one would think his reputation would be the least of his worries.  :P

Draken

Quote from: Turnsky on March 27, 2009, 09:43:28 AM
considering that he's had his black equine butt handed to him by Dan before a couple of times, one would think his reputation would be the least of his worries.  :P

Hey, once a narcisist, always a narcisist.   :mwaha

Notice we do not see Lorenda's reaction here.....wonder what that looks like?  (Same for Regina, seeing as we saw her still "cuddling" her maybe broken jaw.)

Wonder what dan will do now....for that matter, wonder what Amber will do.  She can be as random as Deebs.
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on March 27, 2009, 09:43:28 AM
Well, assuming Kria and Dan don't gang up on him when his back's turned some time down the line and put him back in the ground, think of the comments he's going to get at the next beach party!

kaskar

8) At the moment, I wonder what is more hazardous to DP ? Dan, or Kria ? What does Regina do in the near future ? Stay , or go ? Does our favourite Warp Aci ever turn up, to see that Abel is needed  ? And what happens if Abel turns up at the Soulstealer Estate ? So many things ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Tapewolf

Quote from: kaskar on March 27, 2009, 10:10:33 AM
Does our favourite Warp Aci ever turn up, to see that Abel is needed  ?

Or will it try to cover up to avoid Abel's wrath that it was eating sandwiches while Dan was being killed?

QuoteAnd what happens if Abel turns up at the Soulstealer Estate ? So many things ...
Given Fi's general lack of competence and the extent of Dan's injuries, I think it's more likely that Kria is going to turn up at Lost Lake with Dan in a stretcher.

Quote from: Jairus on March 27, 2009, 12:25:10 AM
Um... I don't quite know where it is, but according to Amber, if a Cubi has heads on the ends of their tentacles (like Dan or Fa'Lina do), then their clan founder (in Dan's case, Cyra) is still alive, and giving them a bit of a boost in their power.
The only bit you're missing is that the clan founder is not only alive, but successfully ascended to tri-wing form.  A clan can have an un-ascended leader, but the tentacle-heads appear as part of the leader's ascension.

Apparently it can be also faked by magic, but in the case of Cyra's clan it's the genuine article.  According to Amber, if someone is good enough to fake the heads properly, that means they're also pretty badass.  Either way, you meet someone like that, you try to stay on their good side.

Quote from: Alondro on March 27, 2009, 08:50:02 AM
I think Fa'lina needs to show up, eat his soul, and be done with him once and for all.   :nod
Strictly, I think that if anyone's going to do that, it's going to be Dee.  Though it seems a waste of villain.  He'd look better stuffed in a jewel around Dan's neck.

Ted Schiller

I suspect Aliph does not know about the dragons' war with Dan's clan, otherwise, telling them where Dan is would be a good way to solve his problem. 

With regards,
Ted

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ted Schiller on March 27, 2009, 10:23:16 AM
I suspect Aliph does not know about the dragons' war with Dan's clan, otherwise, telling them where Dan is would be a good way to solve his problem. 
Also a good way to find himself in an urn instead of a coffin when Lorenda and Kria find out.

Mao

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2009, 10:26:23 AM
Quote from: Ted Schiller on March 27, 2009, 10:23:16 AM
Also a good way to find himself in an urn instead of a coffin when Lorenda and Kria find out.

Or when Destania finds out.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 27, 2009, 10:40:27 AM

I suspect if that happens, I suspect the condition of his body will become irrelevant...

EDIT:  Such wonderful proof-reading...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2009, 10:41:47 AM
I suspect if that happens, I suspect the condition of his body will become irrelevant...

He'll make a pretty necklace, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Achronycal

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2009, 06:58:13 AM
Now I'm curious as to why DP considers Lorenda to be so high-caste, when she's only half-Demon.  Maybe the Soulstealers are a family of more quality than we assumed.

I'm going to guess it actually doesn't matter what their status is (though I imagine it's pretty up there): no one would be good enough for Aliph's niece Lorenda.  :U

Michael Chandra

Somehow I doubt anyone except the insiders know about the Dragon-Cyra thing. Not exactly the kind of information you want public.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2009, 10:41:47 AM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 27, 2009, 10:40:27 AM

i suspect something like this would occur

only with more blood and gore.

inuhanyo

Quote from: kaskar on March 27, 2009, 10:10:33 AM
      8) At the moment, I wonder what is more hazardous to DP ? Dan, or Kria ? What does Regina do in the near future ? Stay , or go ? Does our favourite Warp Aci ever turn up, to see that Abel is needed  ? And what happens if Abel turns up at the Soulstealer Estate ? So many things ...

You know, Abel and Lorenda have never even seen each other.  Kria, of course, will recognize Abel right off, and vice versa.

Abel can delay uncomfortable explanations by justifiably saying "Frig!  Fi, SAIA infirmary, now!"

I wonder if Mab does healing magic?

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 27, 2009, 02:53:58 PM
You know, Abel and Lorenda have never even seen each other.
Actually, Abel has seen Lorenda, albeit in Jyrras' mind (strip 571).  He doesn't seem to have made the connection with Kria, though.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2009, 03:04:45 PM
Quote from: inuhanyo on March 27, 2009, 02:53:58 PM
You know, Abel and Lorenda have never even seen each other.
Actually, Abel has seen Lorenda, albeit in Jyrras' mind (strip 571).  He doesn't seem to have made the connection with Kria, though.

Abel heard Jyrras thinking about her,  but we really have no idea if any visual imagery comes across in Cubi thought hearing.  The term implies not.  But Abel referred to her as "that cow girl", so maybe so.  He doesn't know her name though, let alone her family name, so how could he have made the connection?

It's been over three hundred years, but Abel still might pick it up if he is ever formally
introduced to Lorenda.

Edit: Jyrras mentions Lorenda by (first) name in the next strip (572),  but Abel has probably forgotten about it, at least until actually meeting Lorenda jogs his memory.

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 27, 2009, 03:24:39 PM
Abel heard Jyrras thinking about her,  but we really have no idea if any visual imagery comes across in Cubi thought hearing.  The term implies not.
It's strongly implied in strip 588, and for that matter, strip 3 of Abel pt2.  Also, Destania was able to construct a pretty good replica of Devin, though we don't really know for sure how she did that.
What does make me think he did is that he didn't get the name, and you'd expect he would if it was auditory rather than visual.

EDIT:

He doesn't know her name though, let alone her family name, so how could he have made the connection?

I was thinking of how he pulled various Dan-related memories in 564.  He obviously didn't do that with Lorenda, though in principle he could have done.

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2009, 03:41:27 PM
He doesn't know her name though, let alone her family name, so how could he have made the connection?

I was thinking of how he pulled various Dan-related memories in 564.  He obviously didn't do that with Lorenda, though in principle he could have done.

I doubt that Abel pulled memories out of Jy's head. I believe it was rather that Jy just lept to those memories. Wouldn't it be mind-reading otherwise? A difficult process at the best of times?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on March 27, 2009, 04:47:23 PM
I doubt that Abel pulled memories out of Jy's head. I believe it was rather that Jy just lept to those memories. Wouldn't it be mind-reading otherwise? A difficult process at the best of times?

Half and half.  I was under the impression that 'Cubi could pick up surface thoughts easily enough.  I'm not suggesting he drilled deeply into Jy's mind.

Foxfire

DP has known about Destiana for awhile, so likely he already knew what clan Dan was, at best he was probably wondering if he would be cubi in the end mixed with a being.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Foxfire on March 27, 2009, 05:01:09 PM
DP has known about Destiana for awhile, so likely he already knew what clan Dan was, at best he was probably wondering if he would be cubi in the end mixed with a being.
With 'Cubi it's either 'yes' or 'no', you don't get a halfway mix.  But yeah, it seemed pretty obvious to me that DP would expect Dan to be an immature incubus.