Last House on the Left

Started by Angel, March 04, 2009, 01:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

I've been seeing trailers for the remake of this - Wes Craven's first film - for about two weeks, and it looked like a pretty scary movie and something I might like to see. So I looked up the plot summary on Wikipedia...

...And immediately decided I wasn't going to go see it.  Not the remake, and probably not even the original.

The plot of the movie makes The Exorcist look like My Little Pony. To paraphrase what my brother once said about A Clockwork Orange, it's the most disturbing, violent, sexual, disgusting thing I've ever read. I've seen what I thought was scary many, many times, but this may make me rethink my position. That said, I still think Wes Craven is a great director, and at the very least, a damn good businessman.

Has anyone seen this movie, and if so, any thoughts about the upcoming remake?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Drase

Read the description. Wow... yea. I haven't seen the original... Probably not going to watch the new one.  Can't say horror films are my thing.  Though if i had a child... and that happened to her... No way I'd let the criminals out of my house alive.

Darkmoon

Quote from: Black_angel on March 04, 2009, 01:13:32 AM
To paraphrase what my brother once said about A Clockwork Orange, it's the most disturbing, violent, sexual, disgusting thing--

Honestly, it wasn't that bad. Your brother must be a pansy when it comes to this stuff. There's way worse content out there than that.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Draken

Just think of it as a snuff film....but without any real snuff, and a lot more legal.  (Yes I have seen the original.  Have it on DvD.)
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Angel

Quote from: Darkmoon on March 04, 2009, 07:16:40 AM
To paraphrase what my brother once said about A Clockwork Orange, it's the most disturbing, violent, sexual, disgusting thing--

Honestly, it wasn't that bad. Your brother must be a pansy when it comes to this stuff. There's way worse content out there than that.

So I've heard, but keep in mind, he was seeing it for my sake. An older friend wanted me to see the movie, but I was a freshman in high school, and I wasn't allowed to watch R-rated movies until either my dad or my brother had seen it and said it was okay. He may have just been saying that to keep me from getting any more curious about it. Also, the 'disgusting' bit was my addition. I was talking more about Last House on the Left than A Clockwork Orange. I still haven't seen the latter yet, but I want to.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Rakala

Quote from: Drase on March 04, 2009, 01:26:08 AM
Though if i had a child... and that happened to her... No way I'd let the criminals out of my house alive.

Hey, if they have the parents are able to do it, not only is it not wrong but I think they have the right to do whatever means they find necessary.

Darkmoon

Quote from: Black_angel on March 04, 2009, 11:05:42 AM
Quote from: Darkmoon on March 04, 2009, 07:16:40 AM

So I've heard, but keep in mind, he was seeing it for my sake. An older friend wanted me to see the movie, but I was a freshman in high school, and I wasn't allowed to watch R-rated movies until either my dad or my brother had seen it and said it was okay. He may have just been saying that to keep me from getting any more curious about it. Also, the 'disgusting' bit was my addition. I was talking more about Last House on the Left than A Clockwork Orange. I still haven't seen the latter yet, but I want to.

I hear about families that do that for their children. I find it odd.

Of course, when I was eight, my sister took me to see Lifeforce. The easiest way to describe that movie is "the gratuitously-naked space-vampire movie".

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on March 04, 2009, 10:53:03 PM
Of course, when I was eight, my sister took me to see Lifeforce. The easiest way to describe that movie is "the gratuitously-naked space-vampire movie".

You say that like gratuitous nakedness is a bad thing...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Drase

That part was probably it's selling point.

Though I can't say I know about space vampires, so if they're the ones naked, it might send people running

Darkmoon

One hot chick and two (I presume) hot dudes. From space. Naked.

Of course, I was eight. I didn't appreciate it for the simple pleasures involved in that statement.

Alondro

Meh, I don't go to the movies to watch the worst of what humanity can possibly do.   Not to mention, the plot summary tells me it's not exactly very well-written, nor plausible, like 99.9% of slasher films.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

radarnocturn

I own the movie on tape.  What happens is two girls go to the city to party, and try to get some drugs.  Well a few escaped convicts and one girl pretty much kidnap the girls, rape them and kill them.  The worst is when they stab the one girl so many times in the gut, they nearly disembowl her.  But it's done in such a way, it's not a gory and graphic as  modern movies.  Well, they do the last deed in the woods near this house, and then stop at the house for the night.  The last girl to die, that's her parent's house.  The parents hear something and go out into the woods and find their daughter, who promptly dies in their arms, not after finding out their new guests did this.  The parent's get pissed and decide to kill them all.  The local sheriff decides to pay a visit to the parents who are friends of his, to warn them of the escapees.  He shows up in time to see Dad attacking the last killer with a chainsaw.

Compared to some of the more modern horror movies, this one was near the tame side.  Think of it on the level of intesity of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Robbychu

Mr. Newspaper Reviewer said it wasn't screen in time for review.

This is Movie Maker Man code for "It sucks, don't see it."

That said, Mr. NR wasn't too pleased with it or the original. I am not fond of this genre, so I cannot speak for or against the movie myself.
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Baal Hadad

Quote from: radarnocturn on March 12, 2009, 02:10:03 AM
I own the movie on tape.  What happens is two girls go to the city to party, and try to get some drugs.  Well a few escaped convicts and one girl pretty much kidnap the girls, rape them and kill them.  The worst is when they stab the one girl so many times in the gut, they nearly disembowl her.  But it's done in such a way, it's not a gory and graphic as  modern movies.  Well, they do the last deed in the woods near this house, and then stop at the house for the night.  The last girl to die, that's her parent's house.  The parents hear something and go out into the woods and find their daughter, who promptly dies in their arms, not after finding out their new guests did this.  The parent's get pissed and decide to kill them all.  The local sheriff decides to pay a visit to the parents who are friends of his, to warn them of the escapees.  He shows up in time to see Dad attacking the last killer with a chainsaw.

Compared to some of the more modern horror movies, this one was near the tame side.  Think of it on the level of intesity of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I haven't seen either, but I have seen A Clockwork Orange.  I was afraid to see it at first because it was rated X when it first came out, but now I'm surprised at this--there really isn't all that much "X-rated" in it at all, not compared to today (which is probably why it's now rated R).  I think that standards are being relaxed, such that what was provoking in the 1970's is relatively tame to us nowadays.  That could be either a good thing or a bad thing.

rabid_fox

I watched and enjoyed "The Majestic" today. Films are great time passers.

Oh dear.