02/20/09 [DMFA #974] - vowing

Started by Cylonis, February 19, 2009, 11:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_voyager

funny thing dan didn't always need to kill in order to stop evil form attacking a village. yea! for Fae curses
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Baal Hadad

If not for Kria's punchline at the end, I would think this particular update could serve as a (very cruel) ending to DMFA.  I know it won't be, and I'm glad, but it's going to feel like that until the next update....

Anyway, Regina is still related to Kria and Lorenda, is she not?  Might this not enter into the equation at some point?  If Kria or even Lorenda do nothing to prevent it, might Dan be frustrated when he realizes he's trying to kill one of Lorenda's relatives?  So far he doesn't seem to know that.

Or what if Devin intervened at this point?  I don't know in what capacity he would, but it'd give him some justification for having been introduced here....

(I do also wonder where Fi is and what Fi's doing right now....)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to when Dan calms down and realizes what he's been doing, and how his identity crisis will be affected by it.  I certainly never expected anything like this when I found out he was a cubi....

rabid_fox

I'm holding out for a Devin/Abel reunion, myself. So mostly, I hope Regina gets thoroughly thithered.

Oh dear.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: rabid_fox on February 20, 2009, 06:21:02 PM
I'm holding out for a Devin/Abel reunion, myself.

I've gotten out of the habit of "holding out," but otherwise I agree with you there--I personally would like to see such a thing, even if all it was was some non-canon pic that Amber put on her site just to please the fans since she WASN'T putting it in the comic (or at least not for awhile).

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: e_voyager on February 20, 2009, 02:39:25 AM
Dan is devouring her terror (even if he's to anger to know it)  and on top of that he'll prove that he anger is not small thing to be either aroused or  over looked.
I'm waiting to see what he's going to do when he finally catches her.  He seems to be in the mind of inflicting a LOT of pain on Regina before finishing her off -- which he's got a natural affinity for given his clan.  What will he do when he gets a serious taste of power from her pain?  The pain from Wildy beating Azlan seems to be what made him recover from the mortal wounds received during his last fight with DP (remember he started breathing again the first time Wildy whapped him.)  What's he going to experience when he starts absorbing Regina's pain?  The difference here is that he's awake for it, and he's the one dishing it out.

e_voyager

don't forget Dan is used to receiving pain as well and is best friend with people like Widly and Merlitz to routinely dish out pain to people who annoy them so i doubt if this is new. it also explained how his sis who obiviosly learned how to dish out no leather pain  form their mother has unintentially kept him feed while letting him free load at the inn.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

foxxfurry

Hi peeps, first time post for me. I seem to recall that this storyline is a flash-back for Dan so anything that amber writes is history for Dan.  Also about Dan and Abel, has there been any chatting about them being related to each other on this forum? :)

Baal Hadad

Quote from: foxxfurry on February 20, 2009, 07:47:27 PM
Hi peeps, first time post for me. I seem to recall that this storyline is a flash-back for Dan so anything that amber writes is history for Dan.  Also about Dan and Abel, has there been any chatting about them being related to each other on this forum? :)

The flashback actually ended some time ago, before Dan and Fi came to this place where Kria has Lorenda and Regina.  In fact, Dan was TELLING Fi about his past adventure.

I think some people have been chatting about the idea of Dan and Abel being related (though I'm not one of them), and no, I'm pretty sure they're not.

Tapewolf

Quote from: foxxfurry on February 20, 2009, 07:47:27 PM
Hi peeps, first time post for me. I seem to recall that this storyline is a flash-back for Dan so anything that amber writes is history for Dan.

Welcome aboard.  Don't forget to read the rules.  They aren't the same as in other boards...

QuoteAlso about Dan and Abel, has there been any chatting about them being related to each other on this forum? :)

Yes, but it has been a bit of a touchy subject.  I will point you at this:
http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Edward-Aniz_Theory

...and say no more.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Tipod on February 20, 2009, 02:13:22 PM
I'm surprised there aren't like more bands of minutemen and vigilantes around if the general law system is that lacking.
There are. I can think of at least four different occasions where a band of adventurers other than Dan's own circle of friends was depicted in the comic.

celelorien

just popping in to say DAN LOOKS SO AWESOME. :0 literally jaw-dropping.  I can't wait for the next few updates... This arc is so incredibly epic!

I think the Edward-is-Aniz theory is a bit out of date on the wiki, and I'm not sure how it would really work out anymore, if Aniz hates Destania so much that he'd leave SAIA (beginning of Abel's Story pt II) even if staying meant a dropping of his ban, and leaving meant extending it another hundred years.... just my two cents though.

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: celelorien on February 20, 2009, 08:27:39 PM
just popping in to say DAN LOOKS SO AWESOME. :0 literally jaw-dropping.  I can't wait for the next few updates... This arc is so incredibly epic!

I think the Edward-is-Aniz theory is a bit out of date on the wiki, and I'm not sure how it would really work out anymore, if Aniz hates Destania so much that he'd leave SAIA (beginning of Abel's Story pt II) even if staying meant a dropping of his ban, and leaving meant extending it another hundred years.... just my two cents though.

There's also the fact that their clans are different, which in most cases means they aren't related.

celelorien

true - though two Cubi from different clans can have kids.  The stronger clan will come out in the wash, though, and as the wiki says, if Aniz was trying to either revive a dying clan of his or found a new one, he wouldn't pick a stronger clan to have kids with - wouldn't make sense.

Tapewolf

if Aniz hates Destania so much that he'd leave SAIA (beginning of Abel's Story pt II) even if staying meant a dropping of his ban, and leaving meant extending it another hundred years.... just my two cents though.
It's only speculation that it was hatred.  Honestly, we have no idea what that exchange was all about.  Even then, a lot can happen in four centuries.

e_voyager

i can't help but wonder... how is the clans strengthened deturmend?

DarkAudit

I keep trying to figure out why Abel would be in over his head trying to slow down a full-on rading Dan, but I can't. All I will say is I think it's going to take Destania or Fa'lina to rein him in.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Baal Hadad

Quote from: e_voyager on February 20, 2009, 08:56:47 PM
i can't help but wonder... how is the clans strengthened deturmend?

I wondered this myself, but I'd imagine if your clan is dying, then any clan that isn't dying is stronger than yours is.

e_voyager

how about Fa'Lina's clan? she's arguably one of the strongest cubi out there  but is the only known member of her clan's bloodline

Baal Hadad

Quote from: e_voyager on February 20, 2009, 10:36:52 PM
how about Fa'Lina's clan? she's arguably one of the strongest cubi out there  but is the only known member of her clan's bloodline

Well, technically that's apples and oranges there--that's Falina herself being strong, as opposed to her clan.

e_voyager

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 10:52:48 PM
Quote from: e_voyager on February 20, 2009, 10:36:52 PM

Well, technically that's apples and oranges there--that's Falina herself being strong, as opposed to her clan.
you have a point there i was confusing the strength of the clan with he strength of it's members still with out knowing how to gauge the strength of a clan i have nothing to go on but the strength of it's members

inuhanyo

Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 11:10:51 AM
To be blunt, I think that vigilantism is not a good sign. It means that the justice system is so broken and corrupt that people are forced to take matters into their own hands. I'm surprised some guy hasn't started dressing up like a bat because a demon killed his parents. However... if a system is that broken, than some form of justice and protection has to exist. I wonder if there are Creature adventurers (outside of Dan) who save the day for beings. I mean, a Gratitude Cubi could probably do something like that.
Furrae has never actually had a working justice system for Creature/Being interactions.  What they have currently was an attempt to create one, but it has been corrupt from the start.  Adventurers are the Beings response, probably predating the courts and continued because they are still necessary.   And the Demons (who are most responsible for the problem) are OK with this because such frontier justice fits in with their own philosophy.

Also... I doubt Dan would get in trouble from a legal standpoint if he killed Regina. If he was charged as a being, then his side lets him off lightly because she was a demon who previously murdered beings and had expressed no regret over it and had expressed a desire to do it again. If he's charged as a creature, then we get this whole conflict for power and Might Makes Right thing and "he proved himself stronger," so in that case he'd probably also get off lightly. Now, if he'd get off lightly from the perspective of Kria and his friends... I don't know.
Kria already knows Dan is the one who has been killing her brother Aliph (Dark Pegasus).  Her reaction was to want to spar with Dan, to test herself and see if she was better than Aliph, and judge how much of Dan's success was luck.  Then she started hitting on him, instead.

Any of his friends who were involved in the first encounter with Regina six years ago will probably hold a celebration, with Dan as the guest of honor.  Wildy, certainly, although she'll probably regret not having a chance at Regina herself.

If Dan becomes known as an incubus of the Cyra clan, there will trouble from Dragons, but that is an unrelated issue.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 21, 2009, 12:08:02 AM
If Dan becomes known as an incubus of the Cyra clan, there will trouble from Dragons, but that is an unrelated issue.

Since his clan mark hasn't shown yet (that we know of), not many will know he's Cyra clan, unless word that he's Destania's incubus son spreads well. The largest groups that would know so far are his friends and possibly the current SAIA community.
The general public probably doesn't know yet that he's an incubus, let alone Cyra clan (if they even know of clans), and there's likely still only one dragon that knows so far. (Took me a while to find a strip that at least implied that Ducky knows)
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

inuhanyo

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 21, 2009, 02:33:26 AM
Quote from: inuhanyo on February 21, 2009, 12:08:02 AM

Since his clan mark hasn't shown yet (that we know of), not many will know he's Cyra clan, unless word that he's Destania's incubus son spreads well. The largest groups that would know so far are his friends and possibly the current SAIA community.
The general public probably doesn't know yet that he's an incubus, let alone Cyra clan (if they even know of clans), and there's likely still only one dragon that knows so far. (Took me a while to find a strip that at least implied that Ducky knows)

Fi has been loose lipped to Devin, he's already said too much from Dan's point of view.  He might have mentioned the the "Cubi represenative" is Cyra clan.

Besides the clan mark, the heads on his wing tentacles also identify Dan as Cyra clan. 

And Regina sure Frigging knows that Dan is Cubi, even if she can't identify his clan from his appearance, if a description gets out there will be someone who can.  That's if Regina survives long enough to describe Dan's Cubi traits, of course.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 08:51:00 PM
if Aniz hates Destania so much [...]
It's only speculation that it was hatred.
Hmm. I saw it as maybe the other way round: that Destania was the one who couldn't stand having Aniz around. Something about the way Fa'lina reacted to the question. As for what it all means, though, I suppose we'll have to wait until Amber gets the grass skirt out of the wardrobe for another plot hula...   ;)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tsunari

Actually it looks like Kria is going a hundred years ago and I would be the one being proposed to marry.  I wonder if that's how demons propose to each other.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tsunari on February 21, 2009, 03:58:31 PM
Actually it looks like Kria is going a hundred years ago and I would be the one being proposed to marry.  I wonder if that's how demons propose to each other.

Look at
this "It's one of the few times fighting arenas double as speed dates."

So, according to Fluffy anyway, the answer would probably be "pretty much"
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Naldru

My take on the discussion between Aniz and Fa'lina was that Aniz couldn't bear facing Destania and that Fa'lina was trying to get Aniz and Destania back on speaking terms.

Quote from: Tsunari on February 21, 2009, 03:58:31 PM

My take on this was that Kria was saying that a hundred years ago, she would have been acting like Regina and people would be referring to her in the same way.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Michael Chandra

Quote from: Naldru on February 21, 2009, 04:23:42 PM
My take on the discussion between Aniz and Fa'lina was that Aniz couldn't bear facing Destania and that Fa'lina was trying to get Aniz and Destania back on speaking terms.
And then Destania went and manipulated Abel, trying to give him a push towards "kill him!" for whatever evil reason the queen of torture might have had. So much for speaking terms. ~_^

Caswin

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 04:54:34 PM
If not for Kria's punchline at the end, I would think this particular update could serve as a (very cruel) ending to DMFA.  I know it won't be, and I'm glad, but it's going to feel like that until the next update....
Honestly, speaking as one who sees "stopping points" everywhere, I don't see it.  There are far too many plot threads that have built up, with "why did Dan take up adventuring?" not even having one of the top spots.  Not to mention how abrupt it would be. (Among other things, we just met Regina within the same arc, and recently at that.  That usually isn't a great way to resolve the great end-all question of the story.)

Or did you mean cruel to the readers?  I'm flashing back to A Series of Unfortunate Events now...
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Caswin on February 21, 2009, 04:56:00 PM
Honestly, speaking as one who sees "stopping points" everywhere, I don't see it.  There are far too many plot threads that have built up, with "why did Dan take up adventuring?" not even having one of the top spots. 

Other signs of this not being the end include:
1. The fact that the site is being upgraded
2. The wallpaper war for the skins on the comic site
3. The fact that some chump paid about $2000 for a cameo in an upcoming arc...