02/20/09 [DMFA #974] - vowing

Started by Cylonis, February 19, 2009, 11:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmann135

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on February 20, 2009, 02:52:42 AM
You mentioned nasty possibilities for the patches, yet Jyrras himself is absent from the list of terrors. I maintain that, even in light of recent strips, he is one of the (potentially) scariest people in this comic. That is, if he ever had reason to really really take someone down and had time to think things through, plan, prepare...

Well, really, unless the target was a fae, I'd be hesitant to bet against him.

Reasoning:

Recall, first, that he is extremely rich. Money may not buy happiness, but it does buy power/influence.

He also managed to build a replacement Gryphonmech in a rather short period of time. Not even as a seriously planned activity, but just as a way of working out stress.

And we know already that he's got a significant, well, artillery in his lab.

More generally, his implied technical ability and access to resources suggest, on their own, that he'd actually be a formidable opponent.

But it goes farther than that. Consider that (at least based on the comic so far) he would seem to have no innate magical ability. Yet, not only does he seem to be able to experiment with it a bit (recall ye olde lab accident that led to Deebs). I would put forward that is insight into the nature of the subject has advanced.

Evidence: The patches. As I've pointed out in the past, he's actually obtained sufficient understanding to mass produce magic. Think carefully about the implications there. I would put forward the proposition that he has managed to acquire deep insight into more than just thinks mechanical and things electronic.

Behind the cuteness is someone that could (potentially) be very... very... scary.

Jyrras has the potential to be the most dangerous individual in the comic.  A powerful individual might be able to kill a few hundred individuals in a day, Jyrras if he wanted/put his mind to it could hold the world hostage.

San Wilder, Alexsi, Pyroduck, Mab are all powerful/skilled in their own right but one could say that Dan and Alexsi are exceptional.  Alexsi and Dan have a mother who taught them combat tactics and skills, lets not forget Alexsi's winning record, which one could say is exceptional (and begs the question, who is two and three).  

Now in terms of DP... one could say if DP wouldn't piddle himself but have a complete mental breakdown.
... though I think he already did...

I must say Dan's second form (and at boss level none the less) is simply exhilarating to see in combat... though it is one sided.

...Random thought:
Dan has an affinity for swords, one could say for Dan being an incubus is a mixed blessing.  We already know he's skilled in hand to hand combat, weapon/sword combat and is an implied excellent tactician (skills mean nothing if you can not sway a fight into your favor).
With his incubus ability Dan is able to turn his wing tendrils into blades (sharp ones) and in essence he is now never without a weapon.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Madmann135 on February 20, 2009, 03:42:45 AM
Jyrras has the potential to be the most dangerous individual in the comic.  A powerful individual might be able to kill a few hundred individuals in a day, Jyrras if he wanted/put his mind to it could hold the world hostage.

Yay!  World hostage!   :mwaha

Wildy San, Alexsi, Pyroduck, Mab are all powerful/skilled in their own right but one could say that Dan and Alexsi are exceptional.  Alexsi and Dan have a mother who taught them combat tactics and skills, lets not forget Alexsi's winning record, which one could say is exceptional (and begs the question, who is two and three).

Fixed.

And yeah, I wonder that as well.  I can guess at who the first and second scariest things Abel's ever met are (though I might be wrong), but I can't even GUESS who's beaten Alexsi in combat (other than Destania)....

Madmann135

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 03:52:23 AM
Wildy San, Alexsi, Pyroduck, Mab are all powerful/skilled in their own right but one could say that Dan and Alexsi are exceptional.  Alexsi and Dan have a mother who taught them combat tactics and skills, lets not forget Alexsi's winning record, which one could say is exceptional (and begs the question, who is two and three).

Fixed.

And yeah, I wonder that as well.  I can guess at who the first and second scariest things Abel's ever met are (though I might be wrong), but I can't even GUESS who's beaten Alexsi in combat (other than Destania)....

I was going for the book reference since you went for the spy reference.

In a subtle way Amber has hinted that one of the two could be Dan... Very subtle...

I can't imagine Dan giving P-Ducky the "brother" talk.
Dan: "Hay Ducky, there's something I need to talk to you about."
Pyroduck: *smiles* "sure what is it Dan?"
Dan: *places hand on Pyroduck's shoulder* "I know you have been dating my sister, I do not object but..." *wing tendrils form into blades and dragon heads* "...if you hurt my sister, she will be the least of your worries."

AmigaDragon

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 20, 2009, 01:40:54 AM
Quote from: Jack McSlay on February 20, 2009, 12:49:19 AM
he's ruthlessly damaging columns inside a large mansion. that can't end well.
Well, the cuts aren't deep, relative to the thickness of the columns.  It's not like he's tearing them down.

Those are just scratches so far, he's helping Kria decorate.

[/quote]And for the moment, Kria still doesn't know Dan really is an incubus.  When she surveys the damage however, I think she'll figure out something is odd.
[/quote]

She might not know yet. We don't know one way or the other for sure.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Carl Nielsen - Symphony No. 2 "Four Temperaments": Allegro (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Madmann135 on February 20, 2009, 03:59:55 AM

In a subtle way Amber has hinted that one of the two could be Dan... Very subtle...

Dan: *places hand on Pyroduck's shoulder* "I know you have been dating my sister, I do not object but..." *wing tendrils form into blades and dragon heads* "...if you hurt my sister, she will be the least of your worries."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA--oh, wait...were you serious??   :erk

Sorry, that conversation reminded me of that convo with Ross and Chandler on Friends....

Seriously, though, in what way did Amber hint that?  I refuse to accept it as a possibility.

Tapewolf

Wow.  This is looking awesome.

Quote from: Sukasa on February 19, 2009, 11:44:09 PM
Well, at the same time if people aren't vowing to destroy her, then she's obviously doing something wrong.  What good is having tons of power if nobody's interested in getting back at you over it?
The Creature Adventurer thing, like what Dan's doing right now.

Quote from: Naldru on February 20, 2009, 01:19:44 AM
Dan will not kill Regina.  As I said before, killing a quivering mass of jelly would be bad for the plot line.
It certainly wouldn't be very heroic.

QuoteHas anybody considered the offensive possibilities of patches, such as a patch that would turn a demon into a helpless being?
Yes, I've used the idea a lot myself.  Something like the enchanted bracers in Morrowind would rob the Creature of their powers.  These would be typically used for arrests, prisoners and suchlike.

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 20, 2009, 01:40:54 AM
Yeah, but it's going to take a teleportation token, or some very serious intervention to keep Regina alive.

"Fi.  Remove her."

Quote from: Tipod on February 20, 2009, 01:16:41 AM
Oh come on, you can't use a 50's theme song. Everybody knows that if someone's got wings and tentacles and is shirtless, you need a bunch of screeching powerchords.

I was going for keyboards, brass and choir.  And tubular bells for that 'absolutely doomed' feeling...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

senrath

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 04:21:05 AM
Somehow, I don't think that Dan is too concerned about what is "heroic" at this point in time.

Tapewolf

Quote from: senrath on February 20, 2009, 04:24:40 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 04:21:05 AM
Somehow, I don't think that Dan is too concerned about what is "heroic" at this point in time.

Maybe not.  This seems apropos, though:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_749.php

Madmann135

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 04:14:02 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA--oh, wait...were you serious??   :erk

Sorry, that conversation reminded me of that convo with Ross and Chandler on Friends....

Seriously, though, in what way did Amber hint that?  I refuse to accept it as a possibility.

Like I said it was very subtle, to the point I probably imagined it.
Dan and Alexsi both learned some combat tactics from their mother.  Now it could have been a sparring match where Dan gained the upper hand and bested Alexsi so that doesn't qualify as a real fight.
Siblings learning to fight eventually might spar with each other.

Alexsi being rescued by Dan it could be sibling instincts but he was willing to go there alone which means either he is skilled enough to handle himself against forces that was able to capture Alexsi or he was overconfident (knowing Dan's mentality the ladder is less likely to me).

Alexsi looking for a bouncer for the tavern and her brother being a possible candidate would suggest that his combat skills are/were slightly more honed than hers.

And more recent, Dan stating "I vowed to be the best," His sis is one of the best...

Like I said, hints that were subtle and required a lot of thought.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Madmann135 on February 20, 2009, 04:26:29 AM

Did you pick up on my subtle hint to tell me where you found this?

Madmann135

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 04:32:24 AM
Quote from: Madmann135 on February 20, 2009, 04:26:29 AM

Did you pick up on my subtle hint to tell me where you found this?

Dan complimenting her ability to induce fear and stating he could act as guardian.
Rescue party suggestions.

... and only because I found it funny...
Jyrras's implied combat skills.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 03:42:21 AM
What do you mean, the juxtaposition?

Juxtaposition, noun: A placing or being placed in nearness or contiguity, or side by side.

IOW, having Kria at the bottom just beside Dan in the middle panel - Dan is massively overwrought, Kria is blasé...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

e_voyager

yes Jyrras has some mad combat skills.  and don't forgot his Pk skills as well.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Daymond42 on February 20, 2009, 01:00:12 AM
Is it bad that I started singing in my mind "I wanna be.. the very best. Like no one ever waaaass!"?   :kirby

Now I'm hearing "You're the best around" from when it was playing in the original Karate Kid. Thanks a lot.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agencyâ„¢. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

I think Dan's got at least 5 tentacles there, maybe 6.  I think he's doing at least part of this consciously.

Sid

...looking at the comic again (especially the snapping tentacle head in panel 1), I couldn't help but hum "(He Is Not) One Of Us" from The Lion King 2. xD

And while Kria's expression can likely be nostalgia or something like that, my initial reaction was warming up even more to the (very odd and highly unlikely) Kria/Dan pairing, especially after all her teasing during the "negotiations".
:boogie

Lucheek

Woah... the detail in today's comic is stunning. I expecially love the blade-wings and crying Dan. Somehow, with tears, it looks even more threatening.

Amber, I noticed the up in backgrounds. I think it looks really good, gives a good grounding. I hope you still keep something from the older comics- that is, when a character feels a certain emotion there's kind of a pattern in the coloring behind 'em. Like when their calm, there's a smooth circle, but when  they freak out there'd be a jaggedy line. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lucheek on February 20, 2009, 07:13:05 AM
Woah... the detail in today's comic is stunning. I expecially love the blade-wings and crying Dan. Somehow, with tears, it looks even more threatening.
It's the snarl which freaks me out there.

QuoteAmber, I noticed the up in backgrounds. I think it looks really good, gives a good grounding. I hope you still keep something from the older comics- that is, when a character feels a certain emotion there's kind of a pattern in the coloring behind 'em. Like when their calm, there's a smooth circle, but when  they freak out there'd be a jaggedy line. I always thought that was pretty cool.
Yes, it's a trick I borrowed because I thought it looked awesome.  It's not mutually exclusive with improved backgrounds - if need be, you can drop the background detail and do something abstract, like with Regina in 973.

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Arcblade

The "I am going to destroy you!" reminds me of when Alikya... well, here you go. 

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_907.php

Anyway, wow, Dan crying.  Poor Dan. 

Tycoon

I just think that this entire arc was laid out to parallel this fight to various other monstrous acts to force the readers to question the goodness and heroics of Dan.

I know it certainly has done that to me.

Also: Vows. It would be a great plot twist to find out that they were married, or some such.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tycoon on February 20, 2009, 08:21:09 AM
I just think that this entire arc was laid out to parallel this fight to various other monstrous acts to force the readers to question the goodness and heroics of Dan.
I know it certainly has done that to me.

While I don't really hold with killing people, I'm not sure I agree.

Dan has already spent his life killing evildoers - a big difference between then and now is that we haven't seen most of that because the comic has been more of a humorous nature.
Yes, Dan has basically had a power upgrade, but he's using it for adventuring.  At the end of the day, Regina killed a bunch of people for sh_ts and giggles and/or to improve status.  Dan's vow to kill her is to make the world a safer place.

If Dan starts killing people for fun, then - and only then - has he failed and become what he hates.

Nerikull

Fully cubi'ed Dan! w000000tah!

There is something just awesome about seeing a character flesh out new aspects. I suspect that most of SAIA has picked up on this and is rushing around..."Destiana's kid's in a fight!!" "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!" Just like in any schoolyard.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this will play out! Well done, Amber!!
--Nerikull Murakami
"When life hands you lemons, chuck them back until life hands you the winning lottery ticket!"

Mao

The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that Regina is a demon.  That is to say:  She's far from helpless even in her relatively young state.  If she can get her act together for even a second, this is going to be far less of a predator and prey scenario than it is now.  However given her immaturity it make take something to jolt her into it.  Either to get her angry or to make her so afraid that she has no choice but to fight.

kaskar

8)  I think the chase may stop at the third door down, remember, Dan asked Kria where the men's room was ?
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 08:29:34 AMWhile I don't really hold with killing people, I'm not sure I agree.

Dan has already spent his life killing evildoers - a big difference between then and now is that we haven't seen most of that because the comic has been more of a humorous nature.
Yes, Dan has basically had a power upgrade, but he's using it for adventuring.  At the end of the day, Regina killed a bunch of people for sh_ts and giggles and/or to improve status.  Dan's vow to kill her is to make the world a safer place.

If Dan starts killing people for fun, then - and only then - has he failed and become what he hates.

Quoted For Truth. :3

This is an awesome comic. It is made of Righteous Wrath and Cubi Powers.

Naldru

Quote from: kaskar on February 20, 2009, 09:04:47 AM
   8)  I think the chase may stop at the third door down, remember, Dan asked Kria where the men's room was ?

It really isn't much of a chase at this point.

Dan could just wrap her in tentacles and hold her outside the powder room while he uses the facilities.  He could also do other things tht wouldn't be appropriate for a G-rated comic.

At this point, I think that he could rip her in half and tear her spine out faster than you could blink.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

techmaster-glitch

This what you have in mind? :3

Also, I thought of something interesting. I think I kind of understand exactly what Kria's feeling. Not too many comics ago, she was doing her damnest to get action, any kind of action, with Dan. Then Regina walks in and Dan goes after her with as little (from Kria's perspective) as some history and a serving platter to the face. Kria must be feeling burned.

Kipiru

Dan's engulfed in never-before-seen rage, Regina is terrified and almost toast and Kria is hilarious and sexy! This strip rocks!

Tycoon

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 08:29:34 AMWhile I don't really hold with killing people, I'm not sure I agree.

Anyone can justify the elimination of "evildoers." Taking down an "evildoer" still does not justify killing, possibly even murdering, the person. A much fairer thing to do would be to bring the enemy to court, but Dan has expressed his distrust of the court system and the possible loopholes in the system.

This arc has shown his growth into a role of vigilante more so than hero. With his vows to send his enemies to their graves (Regina, DP) Dan can hardly claim that what he is doing is good and entirely just.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 08:29:34 AMYes, Dan has basically had a power upgrade, but he's using it for adventuring.  At the end of the day, Regina killed a bunch of people for sh_ts and giggles and/or to improve status.  Dan's vow to kill her is to make the world a safer place.

Who is he to judge? Are we so biased as to believe that Dan is the good guy that we can justify his attempt to murder Regina for the sake of saying "It's better for the world"? If I could get a dime for every time a person justified and evil act due to his receiving of a new found power by saying that it "Would make the world a better/safer place," I'd be rich!

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 08:29:34 AMIf Dan starts killing people for fun, then - and only then - has he failed and become what he hates.

Ergo, he is currently living out his hypocrisy by attempting to kill Regina for the sake of revenge instead of trying to bring her to justice like a true hero would.

All that said, I still find this character development to be downright fantastic.