02/20/09 [DMFA #974] - vowing

Started by Cylonis, February 19, 2009, 11:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

Well...we finally get Kria's stance on this...

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Cylonis on February 20, 2009, 12:25:16 AMThe blood is on HIS left cheek.  I was refereeing to his RIGHT cheek, which from our viewpoint is on the LEFT.

Whoops. sorry about that, misunderstood you.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 19, 2009, 11:53:39 PM
And he may be crying, but does anyone else think he looks like ANIZ there...??

Yeah, I noticed the similarities.  Could be an artistic coincidence, or the again it may not.

Cogidubnus

c:

Vengeance Dan, Vengeance Dan,
Does whatever, vengeance can,
Why's he mad?
It's not important
Vengeance Dan

Is he a being,
or an incubus?
When he gets mad does he make a fuss?
Or does the mad get him instead?
Nobody knows
Vengeance Dan

Tipod

Oh come on, you can't use a 50's theme song. Everybody knows that if someone's got wings and tentacles and is shirtless, you need a bunch of screeching powerchords.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Dekari

Quote from: Jairus on February 19, 2009, 11:21:35 PM
So, at what point does Lorenda hear all this and come down to see what's going on?

Reading this made me think of a way that this would end very badly, leaving Dan with a rather large amount of regret and something very difficult to explain to at least a few people.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Naldru

I don't think Kria views these vows as love notes.  If I told you what I thought, you'd say I was crazy and my idea was crazy.  (Okay, I am crazy.  We all are.)

If these come to pass, I will not gloat or point them out.  If they do not come to pass, I will take all ridicule without complaint.

Dan will not kill Regina.  As I said before, killing a quivering mass of jelly would be bad for the plot line.

Kria is not the same person she was a hundred years ago.  Unlike Mab, she has lots of regrets.

Alexsi needs somebody to do some work around the inn.  Regina has been working as a maid.  Regina would find working as a maid at Lost Lake a fate worse than death.

Has anybody considered the offensive possibilities of patches, such as a patch that would turn a demon into a helpless being?

I suspect that Regina caught Wildy by surprise the last time.  Upon facing Alexsi, Wildy, Dan, Abel, and Pyroduck, I suspect that Dark Pegasus would piddle himself.  When angry, Mab is in a class by herself.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tipod on February 20, 2009, 01:16:41 AM
Oh come on, you can't use a 50's theme song. Everybody knows that if someone's got wings and tentacles and is shirtless, you need a bunch of screeching powerchords.

Particle Man, not Spider Man. They Might Be Giants is not fifties, I don't think...

Shade

Long time reader, long time lurker.

I've just been wondering, would Kria even be ABLE to stop Dan?

Seeing as Dan has already killed Aliph several times, the latest time in a one on one, while still being a Being.  Now he suddenly has Incubis abilities on top of his adventuring skills.

Kria would have to be a lot stronger than her brother to stop Dan.

inuhanyo

God, Dan's starting to scare me....   :erk

I didn't realize until I saw this particular comic that Dan has his HEAD WINGS out--he even had them out in the last comic!  What does this mean, Dan...?!?!?
In the thread for the previous comic, I called it "going full Cubi".  Today I understand, I think, why.  He's pulling out all of the stops, holding nothing back. 
"You think you're a big bad monster, Regina?  Well I can be a big bad monster too."

I didn't think I'd say this, but I'm actually starting to feel some sympathy for Regina....
Pity, anyway.   She is now way outclassed.  And she knows it.  I think Aliph would hesitate to take on Dan when he's like this.

Quote from: Jack McSlay on February 20, 2009, 12:49:19 AM
he's ruthlessly damaging columns inside a large mansion. that can't end well.
Well, the cuts aren't deep, relative to the thickness of the columns.  It's not like he's tearing them down.

There's enough of a ruckus for Fi to warp back to Lost Lake and get Abel.
I wonder how much Alexsi and Jyrras know about Regina.

And for the moment, Kria still doesn't know Dan really is an incubus.  When she surveys the damage however, I think she'll figure out something is odd.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on February 20, 2009, 01:01:19 AM
Well...we finally get Kria's stance on this...
Yeah, it makes her nostalgic.  "Ahh, for the days of my youth."  Brrr.

Quote from: Naldru on February 20, 2009, 01:19:44 AM
Dan will not kill Regina.  As I said before, killing a quivering mass of jelly would be bad for the plot line.
Yeah, but it's going to take a teleportation token, or some very serious intervention to keep Regina alive.  Dan's not planning on half-measures here, he fully intends Regina's death.  (And I think he's going to be able to test out of the terrorization course at SAIA.) >:3

And the only people I can think of who have a chance of stopping Dan, are his friends.  Because they are his friends.
Alexsi needs somebody to do some work around the inn.  Regina has been working as a maid.  Regina would find working as a maid at Lost Lake a fate worse than death.
Alexsi needs a bouncer, not a job Regina could be trusted with.
Has anybody considered the offensive possibilities of patches, such as a patch that would turn a demon into a helpless being?
Ohh, I like the way your mind works.
I suspect that Regina caught Wildy by surprise the last time.  Upon facing Alexsi, Wildy, Dan, Abel, and Pyroduck, I suspect that Dark Pegasus would piddle himself.  When angry, Mab is in a class by herself.
That was just annoyance on Mab's part.   DP doesn't know the rest and would underestimate them.

e_voyager

tears of sorrow tears of rage,  soul cries for vengeance and a blade is staid. what shall become of this poor weeping heart, when do paths of vengeance and justice truly part?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

inuhanyo

Quote from: Cogidubnus on February 20, 2009, 01:35:33 AM
Quote from: Tipod on February 20, 2009, 01:16:41 AM

Particle Man, not Spider Man. They Might Be Giants is not fifties, I don't think...

Spider-Man isn't fifties, either.  The comic started in the early sixties, and the first cartoon show wasn't any earlier than the seventies.

Tipod

Quote from: Cogidubnus on February 20, 2009, 01:35:33 AM

Sorry, I saw those lyrics and immediately thought of the Spider Man theme song :c I was only off by a decade. Or two.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Michael Chandra

Whelp, that about explains a big part of Dan's adventuring career. ^_^

Aaaah... Poor Kria... She looks lovely with that melachonic look on her face.

(So what is the Crash Rumble about... Hope we'll see tomorrow.)

Cvstos

It doesn't look like he's damaging the pillars, but the crash rumble... hmmm....

Run, Regina! Revenge is a dish best served cold!
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Baal Hadad

Quote from: starcat5 on February 20, 2009, 12:44:19 AM
I'm probably one of the few who did not laugh once during this comic....

No laugh from me, ether. Today's Funny got preempted by a cartload of Epic, and I couldn't be happier. ^_^

I could--but it's an in-universe kind of unhappy, which is a compliment.  You've successfully tricked me into thinking these are real people, Amber.

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on February 20, 2009, 01:06:29 AM
And he may be crying, but does anyone else think he looks like ANIZ there...??

Yeah, I noticed the similarities.  Could be an artistic coincidence, or the again it may not.

It's an artistic coincidence either way, I think--they're both felines with brown hair and feathery wings.  Whether Amber noticed this and is choosing to milk it is another question entirely....

senrath

Quote from: Cvstos on February 20, 2009, 02:03:27 AM
Run, Regina! Revenge is a dish best served cold!
Run, coward!  Dan hungers!

Titanium Dragon

QuoteDan vowed to become the best.  That shows alot more ambition than he's evidenced up to now (excluding his happiness at Abel's sword display).  No doubt he's become an accomplished adventurer, but he doesn't come across as the "practice all day" type.

Yes and no. Dan seems to be an idiot, but that seems to be part Rule of Funny, part inconsistant characterization, and part obsfucating stupidity. Remember, he DID have a collection of high-heeled shoes in his closet JUST because he hurt himself during his first adventure because he didn't know how to move in them properly, and he's killed a powerful creature several times using apparently nothing but swordplay and his wits, indicating a high level of competency which Regina is highly unlikely to match.

Its also worth noting that Regina did not kill Dan last time, indicating that she isn't so powerful as to be able to just do so.

DFMA really changed over time, and I suspect somewhere after comic 100 (when, I couldn't say, but likely before the first wallpaper war) Amber decided at least roughly where the comic was going.

Feather Dancer

Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

e_voyager

Dan is devouring her terror (even if he's to anger to know it)  and on top of that he'll prove that he anger is not small thing to be either aroused or  over looked.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Baal Hadad

Quote from: e_voyager on February 20, 2009, 02:39:25 AM
Dan is devouring her terror (even if he's to anger to know it)  and on top of that he'll prove that he anger is not small thing to be either aroused or  over looked.

I thought the Cyra clan's preferred emotion was pain.  Regina isn't in pain yet (that I know of)....

Psy-Kosh

(EDIT: yeah, I know, am probably in a bit of an "over thinking it" mode, but hey, doing so is fun. :D)

Quote from: jeffh4 on February 20, 2009, 12:47:08 AM
One more thing to add to the "first time we've seen this in Dan" behaviour column.

Dan vowed to become the best.  That shows alot more ambition than he's evidenced up to now (excluding his happiness at Abel's sword display).  No doubt he's become an accomplished adventurer, but he doesn't come across as the "practice all day" type. 

I'm not sure. Recall that Dan is a retired adventurer. Emphasis on he retired from an occupation that often one would tend to be, forced into very very permanent retirement. From his bio page "He then retired at the age of 24, which considering some adventures, thats pretty old."

And, of course, don't forget the frequent DDR playing... which we know translated to useful training.

"unorthodox" may well apply to very very much of is training, but I don't think we can really view him as the "not really practicing/improving/training" type, even if it doesn't look like it. :)

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 02:04:47 AMI could--but it's an in-universe kind of unhappy, which is a compliment.  You've successfully tricked me into thinking these are real people, Amber.

It's really Amber experimenting with her secret mind control techniques. Once perfected, she will use it in her plot to take over the nation of Lichtenstein. Then from there, use the funds she makes by renting out the entire country for various events to let her plot even bigger schemes.

Quote from: Naldru on February 20, 2009, 01:19:44 AMHas anybody considered the offensive possibilities of patches, such as a patch that would turn a demon into a helpless being?

Muhahaha... more on this after...

QuoteUpon facing Alexsi, Wildy, Dan, Abel, and Pyroduck, I suspect that Dark Pegasus would piddle himself.

You mentioned nasty possibilities for the patches, yet Jyrras himself is absent from the list of terrors. I maintain that, even in light of recent strips, he is one of the (potentially) scariest people in this comic. That is, if he ever had reason to really really take someone down and had time to think things through, plan, prepare...

Well, really, unless the target was a fae, I'd be hesitant to bet against him.

Reasoning:

Recall, first, that he is extremely rich. Money may not buy happiness, but it does buy power/influence.

He also managed to build a replacement Gryphonmech in a rather short period of time. Not even as a seriously planned activity, but just as a way of working out stress.

And we know already that he's got a significant, well, artillery in his lab.

More generally, his implied technical ability and access to resources suggest, on their own, that he'd actually be a formidable opponent.

But it goes farther than that. Consider that (at least based on the comic so far) he would seem to have no innate magical ability. Yet, not only does he seem to be able to experiment with it a bit (recall ye olde lab accident that led to Deebs). I would put forward that is insight into the nature of the subject has advanced.

Evidence: The patches. As I've pointed out in the past, he's actually obtained sufficient understanding to mass produce magic. Think carefully about the implications there. I would put forward the proposition that he has managed to acquire deep insight into more than just thinks mechanical and things electronic.

Behind the cuteness is someone that could (potentially) be very... very... scary.

Kibin

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 02:43:37 AM
Quote from: e_voyager on February 20, 2009, 02:39:25 AM

I thought the Cyra clan's preferred emotion was pain.  Regina isn't in pain yet (that I know of)....

He also developed an affinity for the energy of 'doing the right thing for the good of many' or something. This does seem to be one of those cases.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on February 20, 2009, 02:52:42 AM
You mentioned nasty possibilities for the patches, yet Jyrras himself is absent from the list of terrors. I maintain that, even in light of recent strips, he is one of the (potentially) scariest people in this comic. That is, if he ever had reason to really really take someone down and had time to think things through, plan, prepare...

Well, really, unless the target was a fae, I'd be hesitant to bet against him.

Reasoning:

Recall, first, that he is extremely rich. Money may not buy happiness, but it does buy power/influence.

He also managed to build a replacement Gryphonmech in a rather short period of time. Not even as a seriously planned activity, but just as a way of working out stress.

And we know already that he's got a significant, well, artillery in his lab.

More generally, his implied technical ability and access to resources suggest, on their own, that he'd actually be a formidable opponent.

But it goes farther than that. Consider that (at least based on the comic so far) he would seem to have no innate magical ability. Yet, not only does he seem to be able to experiment with it a bit (recall ye olde lab accident that led to Deebs). I would put forward that is insight into the nature of the subject has advanced.

Evidence: The patches. As I've pointed out in the past, he's actually obtained sufficient understanding to mass produce magic. Think carefully about the implications there. I would put forward the proposition that he has managed to acquire deep insight into more than just thinks mechanical and things electronic.

Behind the cuteness is someone that could (potentially) be very... very... scary.

Like the villain of a San Wilder novel?  ;)

e_voyager

indeed he has and putting the fear of death into the monster that has slain his friend and betrayed his trust  seems to fit the bill. on the plus side the monster has become the damsel in distress and  adventuring hero a rampaging monster and  the seasoned demon is  probably the heron in the wings reminiscing and when she was young.

llearch n'n'daCorna

"I am going to destroy you!"

... now, where have we heard that before?

I have to say, Amber, that I was laughing myself sick over this one. I think it's the juxtaposition of Dan and Kria...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 03:09:19 AMLike the villain of a San Wilder novel?  ;)

*chuckles* Something like that, perhaps.

Though I'd expect that if he ever got a hate on for someone on the level that Dan has for Regina, I don't thing the receiving end should expect him to try something silly like "death by shonen ai"

Quote from: e_voyager on February 20, 2009, 03:24:57 AM
on the plus side the monster has become the damsel in distress and  adventuring hero a rampaging monster and  the seasoned demon is  probably the heron in the wings reminiscing and when she was young.

Hrm... Wonder if the fight would end with them all staring at each other, realizing this, and basically going "what... the... hell?" :)

e_voyager

eh you never know. i wonder if that was amber hidden punch line.

!KCA

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 02:43:37 AM

Dan, on the other hand, is experiencing a lot of emotional pain right now. If he actually starts hitting Regina. . .

Living founder + clan affinity + personal affinity + more clan affinity = ?

Baal Hadad

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 20, 2009, 03:32:59 AM
"I am going to destroy you!"

... now, where have we heard that before?

I have to say, Amber, that I was laughing myself sick over this one. I think it's the juxtaposition of Dan and Kria...

And in the same chapter, no less....

What do you mean, the juxtaposition?