The "'Cubi in an RP game" report update

Started by Ranzer, November 12, 2008, 07:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcalane

Oh god, sorcery IRC. Remind me to go into lurker mode. YOU WILL NEVER FIND MEEEEEE. *hem*

Also, oh god, Eye of Argon. DO NOT WAAAAAANT. D:

Ranzer

I swear, this must be the year of a million illnesses for me. I wake up this morning and find that every muscle in my body feels like it's been wrung of all its vital fluids.

BUT THAT WILL NOT STOP ME. I still managed to type up a report, coming up right now!

(sorry for the abrubt start, I came in 30 minutes late);
James Bond kidnapping a comatose X and zooming off;
our driver getting shot in the head;
Julian starting a battle on the hood of James' car;
Del blowing up the rest of the grenades to make things a bit easier;
the car with Bond plunging over the side of a cliff;
Del managing to perform his first teleport while carrying an ally;
eating lunch while talking about various plans;
the guy possessing Del casually saving the entire Egg Carrier from crashing into a mountain;
Sonic knocking out a GUN squad by himself and discovering Metal Sonic's capsule;
a think tank session on who is possessing Del and why;
negotiating with Bond for X;
...and this is where my connection broke. Sorry.

EDIT:

Alright, I have no idea on whether to open a new thread or revive an ages-old one, and I just made a wild guess. If I screwed up, please forgive me.

This time, I've got a question. Could it be possible for a 'Cubi to be really, really good in one area of their abilities, but in exchange, not get another at all? I ask this because I can smell some game-breaking possibilities, and I reeeeeeally don't want that to happen, so I was thinking of having Del develop his shapeshifting to a supafly level in exchange for not getting the "mental" powers, like mindreading and dream-entering. Buuuuuut, I wanted to see if this had precedent or not, and possibly pick up some info about it that I didn't know.

...So, uh, moo?

AndersW

Quote from: Ranzer on December 29, 2008, 12:22:30 PM
This time, I've got a question. Could it be possible for a 'Cubi to be really, really good in one area of their abilities, but in exchange, not get another at all? I ask this because I can smell some game-breaking possibilities, and I reeeeeeally don't want that to happen, so I was thinking of having Del develop his shapeshifting to a supafly level in exchange for not getting the "mental" powers, like mindreading and dream-entering. Buuuuuut, I wanted to see if this had precedent or not, and possibly pick up some info about it that I didn't know.

...So, uh, moo?

Dream Surfing is a skill that must be taught.  Your character might not even know he could dream surf if he isn't told.  And if he tried learning it on his own he would likely get himself killed. (Cubi Mind-Abilities: Page 04.)

Thought-Reading is a passive skill, but you can filter out all but certain key words.  So it might be possible for him to get a charm of some sort that filters out everything.  You would have to come up with a reason for getting a charm to do that.  One reason I can think of is that thought-reading is like being in a really loud cafeteria or auditorium, and might be a real pain to not filter out everything.  It also might be fun to see him lose his charm and have to deal with the voices in his head. :mowwink

Ranzer

See, this is what happens when I assume that a topic is dead. I leave for weeks and come back and see that there's a reply. CURSE MY SHORT ATTENTION SPAN.  :cuss

Anyways. I haven't been keeping reports lately due to a bit of a pressing situation in my schooling (read: OH MY GOD I ONLY HAVE THREE DAYS TO DO A MONTH'S WORTH OF ESSAYS AND TYPING WORKS), but I can give a few updates on Del's status.

Gained:
the magic-based metabolism
a low-level elemental spell
a sweet sword upgrade that stuns enemies with a good roll
a small, extremely sharp fragment of darkness, currently used as a toothpick
15 coins for hitting an extremely annoying character over the head and making him leave
a ghost that is using his body for some nefarious and unexplained purpose
an actual backstory, yey
Aaaaaaand the chance to freak out a teammate by casually whipping out what I consider to be one of my finest ad-libs.

"Think about it. Shapeshifting. Tentacles. No need to sleep. I don't know if my girlfriend and I will ever get a kid, but I can sure tell that we're gonna have fun trying." *eyebrow waggle*

Cue the victim trying desperately to change the subject while the others laugh. A lot.

I'm so proud.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Ranzer on January 19, 2009, 04:45:53 PM
Aaaaaaand the chance to freak out a teammate by casually whipping out what I consider to be one of my finest ad-libs.

"Think about it. Shapeshifting. Tentacles. No need to sleep. I don't know if my girlfriend and I will ever get a kid, but I can sure tell that we're gonna have fun trying." *eyebrow waggle*

Cue the victim trying desperately to change the subject while the others laugh. A lot.

I'm so proud.
That is indeed much awesome :D

Ranzer

Sorry for no report... schoolwork... so tired... hand hurts...

I can give some general events, though.

We've had:

Samus showing up;
along with a giant anthro wolf from the toothpick-crystal...
...and he's our newest teammate!
me taking an hour to write this simple little post because of being distracted;
Deloth figuring out a new way to store items by shifting them into his body;
and then realizing that the late-night TV scheduling is horrible, which is a bit of a problem for someone who's stuck on a ship and can't sleep. I also managed to slip in another reference!

"'Fun With Dirt', 'The Volcano Worshipper's Hour', 'Wheel of Phlegm'... it's like they're TRYING to drive people away from their sets..."

Netcookie for the first correct answer on where I got those show names.

EDIT:
:mowcookie for Tapewolf. I still love that movie, so sue me.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ranzer on January 20, 2009, 03:24:01 PM
Netcookie for the first correct answer on where I got those show names.

UHF?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ranzer

Alright. Okay. Sorry for being absent, I had to get a scadload of reports sent in or otherwise I'd have to pay $150 as a late fee. But that's done, so now I can report...

Uh...

Okay, to be honest, I've been so busy that I haven't been keeping reports. I do, however, still have amusement.

A few weeks ago, the group was joking OOCly about D&D's system and how a level one housecat could kill Generic Commoner #5972 without much of a sweat. I said something along the lines of "someone should make a housecat as a character".

Then I started thinking. Why NOT?

So I present Ragnar. An awakened Housecat 3/Sorcerer 1, the longstanding familiar of a wizard who recently had "Awaken Animal" cast on him and decided to go off on his own adventure with a group. It's a surprising challenge; no hands, no voice, and two pounds is all I can carry without penalties. It's also downright hilarious and I'm having tons of fun doing it.

...Also, question. If anyone has the soundtrack for the original Jet Grind Radio, lemme know where I can get it. I've been listening to it on Youtube and it has DEVOURED MY SYNAPSES. And it's catchy, too.