If Amber made Regina's story as print...

Started by Jack McSlay, January 25, 2009, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McSlay

For curiosity, if Amber decided to draw Regina's backstory to complete the plot yet paid respect the the backstory war's donors by releasing only in form of a physical, paid, comic book, would you buy it?
(although I'm unsure if she'd risk it given the copyright issues involved  :U )
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Amber Williams

:kittyno

What? Well I know I sure as heck wouldn't buy it. :U

Sunblink

Amber Williams

Jairus

Heck no! Abel won, she lost, she should live with it! Ha!

Ahem. Just kidding.

While it would be nice to have something like that, I'd rather not place extra burdens like that on Amber's head. Sorry.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Grey Wolf

If such a thing ever came to exist, yes.
Sadly, such is unlikely :<
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd be up for it.

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd be willing to cough up for it, if it did.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Pagan

Do I actually need to answer?
Of course I'd buy it.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 25, 2009, 01:09:12 PM
I'd be up for it.

Same here, pretty much.  Though if it came to a choice between a print of Abel's Story and a print of Regina's story, I'd have to go with Abel.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

Sofox

If Amber made a gumdrop with a piece of her art on it I'd buy it.

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 25, 2009, 01:31:59 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 25, 2009, 01:09:12 PM
I'd be up for it.

Same here, pretty much.  Though if it came to a choice between a print of Abel's Story and a print of Regina's story, I'd have to go with Abel.

I think I'd go with Regina. 'Cause then, hey, more reading material. Abel already has his story being told.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Sunblink

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 25, 2009, 11:35:46 AM
YOU ARE FULL OF LIES!

*scolds Keaton*

I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU. YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM

*goes in her room*

*slams the door*

*locks it*

Jigsaw Forte

She's going through hell and a half just trying to keep up with 3 updates a week and you expect a Print-only book on top of this?  :erk

Not to say I haven't considered similar ideas myself, but I know at least in my case I've got to get a lot quicker first...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Grey Wolf on January 25, 2009, 02:29:54 PM
I think I'd go with Regina. 'Cause then, hey, more reading material. Abel already has his story being told.
Point is, most of Abel's Story still exists.  I don't know quite there the cutoff is (I think up to about strip 40 is lost) but far more of it does exist than doesn't.
A Regina story would have to be done from scratch -> much more work.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Pagan

Yeah, this is mostly just wishful imagining. But it would be nice.

Wasn't the looser supposed to get a shorter and funnier version of her backstory in the comic?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Amber Williams

I'm not really sure how making a physical buy-only book would be keeping respect paid to donors. If anything I would think it would be an insult since why would I make the first physical buyable book a side-story that only people who are already dedicated readers and fans of Regina would have a vested interest in.

I would gather a more feasable buy-only book would be something that could be enjoyed by anyone who happens across the book...be they a long-time reader or have never heard of DMFA. That way the story can be enjoyable by a public majority without needing to be in on some "inside story info" to get the plot of it.

Doing a print-run only of Regina's side story would be a complex undertaking of work for me, followed by a very limited printed edition that would only be purchased by a dedicated but marginally smaller few...and then I would be stuck with a bunch of pages I cannot post online to be even enjoyed by the majority of my readers unless they cough up cash and I have to deal with mailing and shipping issues.  

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 25, 2009, 03:31:58 PMDoing a print-run only of Regina's side story would be a complex undertaking of work for me, followed by a very limited printed edition that would only be purchased by a dedicated but marginally smaller few...and then I would be stuck with a bunch of pages I cannot post online to be even enjoyed by the majority of my readers unless they cough up cash and I have to deal with mailing and shipping issues.  

There's always Print on Demand, but I hear the royalties suck.

It does bring up another problem -- yea, offering print-exclusive content is an easy way to sell books, but making an entire book print-only tends to suck away resources from the masses. (And unless you think you can sell enough books to cover the perceived loss in being unable to post said story online... you get the idea)

Making a PDF version to sell as an e-book is at least an alternative to publishing in dead tree, but the problem still comes down to making enough on sales to cover the effort undertaken.

Amber Williams

(Man. I seem to be queen Downer today. :U)

I dont mean to sound like such a slammer of ideas. Its just...oy. There are a lot better print-only versions that could be done that would yield a much better profit and reaction from a non-DMFA reading audience.  As someone who knows what Regina's Story consists of...I will safely say that its very much a story that unless you know the characters...it is going to seem incredibly unpleasant as a standalone.

Don't get me wrong. I get it. People like Regina. People want to know more about her. And some people are still wishing that Regina won the war way back when.  I could understand if people were wondering if there was a way to one day get Regina's side story...but in print format exclusive? Thats just a bad idea from a financial and marketing perspective.

rabid_fox

Also, piss on Regina's Story. Abel's Story is glorious.

Oh dear.

Tiger_T

Quote from: rabid_fox on January 25, 2009, 05:20:03 PM

Also, piss on Regina's Story. Abel's Story is glorious.
Oy Vey! No need to get vulgar about it.

*still hopes Amber will one day decide to take the time to draw Reginas story*

I don't think print only would be a good solution. Amber seems to have good sucess with online donations.
Maybe if she had a print edition of her online material... I guess there would be a few who'd order something like that.
I myself rather like the 'Archive-CD'-idea (which was proposed in another thread).
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Grey Wolf

Tch, we are insatiable, aren't we? Amber's pumpin' out the main story and an intricate backstory, and what do we say?
"MOAR, pleazkthx"
If you give a mouse a cookie...

If a print is a bad idea, I have another.
We (the ravenous, reading mob) wait until Canada isn't apt to punt Amber over the boarder, and until Abel's tale has been told. And then heartily hope Regina gets her story told someday...

Note: In case anyone thought the 'we' thing was patronizing, I meant it as in the we to include myself. I'm a terrible person greedy reader.

Jairus

Well, we are going to get her story: in a condensed, "need-to-know" format appropriate to the main story.

What? Isn't that enough?

Pagan

It's enough in that we get her story.
I'm still in the belief that she should have won and bugger Abel, but this is the world we live in.

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Jairus on January 25, 2009, 06:04:17 PM
Well, we are going to get her story: in a condensed, "need-to-know" format appropriate to the main story.

What? Isn't that enough?

:kittyno

llearch n'n'daCorna

... We need a "yes" version of that, so that the mods can go in and edit people's posts to say yes instead of no.

*cough*

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 25, 2009, 06:19:52 PM
... We need a "yes" version of that, so that the mods can go in and edit people's posts to say yes instead of no.

*cough*
Sorry, my 'shopping skills aren't that good.

Grey Wolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 25, 2009, 06:19:52 PM

*cough*

Meanie...

llearch n'n'daCorna