[Art] King of Hearts: King's art topic [NSFW] (8/20/07)

Started by King Of Hearts, July 13, 2006, 06:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's the bestest mod ever?

BILL!!! (awesome)
3 (8.8%)
llearch (stupied)
6 (17.6%)
RJ (australian)
7 (20.6%)
Damaris (onoes)
0 (0%)
Amber (lol)
11 (32.4%)
Darkmoon (noob)
1 (2.9%)
Zina (???)
6 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Tapewolf

Quote from: King Of Hearts on July 25, 2006, 11:58:47 PM
I dont think there's need for another thread, [Mostly because I'll feel the need to fill them both -_-']  I'll just refrain from putting up the images directly and posting the link description in red text ought to be a good enough warning.

Thanks.  I guess I'm too impatient to wait until after work to check your stuff out..

QuoteClint and Kin are 22, Meg is currently 14, the ages in the Exodus pic was during the fall of their hometown.
Right.  I thought he was 16.. that may have been a picture from his youth, or I may have simply misread/remembered the caption.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I have just one question...

... why does everyone feel the need to draw Samurai (as in, the guys you watch out for, rather than the ones on your own team) as -heavy- bruisers? I mean, your average samurai was well built, but not -heavy-, for the most part. As I understand it, the average was just an average guy, only moved like a rattlesnake on speed when it came to fighting...

I realise it's mostly a convention, and hence "everyone does it because everyone always does it" - I was just thinking. Well, that and admiring the pic anyway :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gareeku

But Turtle Samurai are awesome. ;)

I know what you mean about that. I guess its some sort of stereotype that, for some odd reason, has manifested itself through the years.

mini-lion

very proffessional work, especially like the markings on the armour of the samurai.

King Of Hearts

Genbu is a heavy set character to begin with, so the Samurai part of his character pretty much just flowed with it.

Way I see it, people use Samurais to depict heavy swordsmen to contrast with ninja types.

llearch n'n'daCorna

mmm. That would be a fairly perspicatious point of view.

Interestingly, the original basis was Ninjas were the peasant farmer types - hence the design of, say, the nunchuka (admittedly wikipedia says there's no evidence of them being used, but admits that, since the ninjas were expected not to be caught using them, that's only reasonable...) whereas the samurai were the police or enforcer types...

which is yet another reason for having the samurai as a big heavy dude, I guess :-)

Always interesting pondering these things. And it's still an amazing picture :-)

Gareeku

Samurai were bodyguards of the lords of Japan, similar to the Musketeers in a strange sort of way, except their loyalties were to their lords instead of the king of France. >_>

Exceptions to that rule were Ronin; samurai who had left or had been banished by their lords, many choosing to become freelance bodyguards/ muscle for hire. The Samurai who still served under the Japanese lords didn't like Ronin that much, if at all, though some have suggested there was a jealously towards the Ronin because the freedoms they enjoyed.

So...um...yeah... >_>

Rowne

I'm sorry I hadn't looked into this thread sooner now.  I keep wishing that I had with every thread I come across, to be honest.  The art is breathtaking in some cases, as it is here.  Oh and that Dalmation?  He's adorable, it's funny that with all that was happening to Abel, I was paying more attention to his facial expressions.  I'm much more drawn to him in your representations, King *.  <.<

The pizza thing was great because I'm surprised I didn't see that coming.  If reality were like a cartoon, I'd actually try that ... but since neither myself or the other party would be immortal or exempt of pain as characters in cartoons frequently are, I don't think it would be wise.

The last page ... well, very stylishly handled action scene.  Usually I don't see too many of those unless it's in either a professional or an indie comic.  The reason for this is from what I've read, they're actually hard for artists to do well because it takes a lot of study in anatomy and situational acrobatics to know how the body would actually react in situations like that.

Then again, with art like that, I strongly suspect you're either in the pro or indie circuit anyway.  If not, why the bloody hell not?  You should be!  Just like Amber should be, to be honest but that might kill her webcomic.

Anyway!

I'll try and catch up with what's already been written.  I don't know if I will because I'm a slow reader (yes, truly) but I'm glad I at least saw the art in the first post.

I do have one last question, though ...

The humour of your avatar appeals to me, wot with the poor polite bespectacled sod being too polite to respond to the insanity going on around him, it's a classic moment.  I'd really like to know what animé it's from so I can watch it and laugh too.

* Just to note, I'm not disrespecting Amber's version of her own character ... it's just that the Dalmation has a somewhat different demeanour there.  Sort of like a true English villain watching over a scene of horror, akin to say, Mr. Moloch.  It's rather appealing in a darkly amusing kind of way.

Roureem Egas

That anime is Ouran High Host Club, Rowne. I usually just shorten it to "ouran X" (X for episode number, if I wasn't clear) whenever I search youtube. I'd recommend the ones subbed by lunar. Right here for homepage. (Has torrents)

I always thought sod had a negative connotation.[/tangent]

Edit: And now that I think about it, I'm being completely stupid here for not commenting on the stuff. I really like your work and your style, King. Especially the piece for Gareeku's story.

Rowne

It depends on the context.  A lot of British people use it tongue-in-cheek in regards to bad things happening to someone they don't know.  Poor sod / git / bugger, et cetera.

Thanks for the info and the link!

----

To expand on the above, a little, I think it also arises from the belief that it's easier not to feel too bad about bad things happening to a person if one doesn't consider them in good regard in the first place.  Again, this is tongue in cheek.  We're terrible like that, it's hard to know when a Brit (at least, from my experiences, including myself) is being serious and when they're not.

Netami

I keep clicking here thinking there's new stuff.  :animesweat

Shadrok

Kasarn

King Of Hearts

admittedly, I have been neglecting this lil' spot eh? Well here's a few pics Ive done as I finish my backlog of pics to do in the meantime. As for usual, click the links for bigger/clearer versions

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39166534/
This is for Tapewolf, jakob's shirt+pants look felt rather bland so I added a coat for an executive feel, then a hat because most of the people Ive seen involved in film seem to wear a baseball hat.

EDIT: *Quick MS paint* Went with tapewolf's suggestion and added some white to the hair so it wouldnt blend too much with the covered reels.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39166142/
Shadrok, though I think he'd rather to have remained in the plane. The wind in the face look messes up recognizability unfortunately.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39166046/
Inspired by GabrielsThoughts work... I was contemplating of using a donkey instead of TGH to conect with the SDF-1's original designation "ASS-1" [Alien Space Ship]

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/206744/
An original from my story... an insect retainer.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/206735/
Another original, Full Metal Mephitis

*GASP!* Shotacon! ...no not really.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/206720/

[OLD] Earth Elemental
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/180861/

Tapewolf

That's a pretty good selection.  I do like Shadrok, although as you say, his expression makes him look rather different.  From the strap I'm assuming he does have a parachute :twisted
Hare and the others are good, although I can't think of anything specific to add.  Except that I found 'Shotacon' more disturbing than 'Earth Elemental'.

And now we come to Jakob.  I particularly like the way he's using his tentacles to man the camera.. should have thought of that myself.

[pedant]
There's only one little thing I don't like about it - the reels have to be covered.  Whatever he was filming, he's just lost the entire shot  'A'  Another 950 dollars down the drain, as Simons would put it.
I'm assuming you used your artistic license, since having the reels there makes it more iconic, more obvious what he's doing.  It just reminds me of those photos of the hard disks with the lid off :twisted  I'm not asking you to change it of course, but if you wanted to, one possible approach might be to black out the spools entirely, and link them together into an oval shape.  But I'm quite happy you've drawn it at all :)
[/pedant]

**EDIT**
You might want to change the date in the thread title as well

Gareeku

Personally I think the Jakob pic is the best one there. I think the style of the pic (with the film reel) really makes it stand out. Once again, awesome art there, King.

urge to request another pic...rising...

King Of Hearts

Truth be told, I have NO idea what a traditional camera is supposed to look like, the only projector thing Ive ever worked with are those things that you hook up to a laptop for a powerpoint presentation. Umm... Let's just say he's still just setting up for the shot... in a darkroom.

I'll try the oval thing.

Tapewolf

Quote from: King Of Hearts on September 03, 2006, 06:47:37 AM
Truth be told, I have NO idea what a traditional projector is supposed to look like, the only projector thing Ive ever worked with are those things that you hook up to a laptop for a powerpoint presentation. Umm... Let's just say he's still just setting up for the shot... in a darkroom.  I'll try the oval thing.

This would mean a redraw, but the Arricam ST is supposed to be highly-regarded.

The Mitchell BNCR looks rather like what you've drawn though. 

(I actually know nothing about film - this is mostly from Google)

King Of Hearts

woah.. things really have changed since the days of those wooden tripods and hand cranked reels.

Rowne

Another professional batch of images from King.  I have to say that the TGH one had me chuckling, more than a little.  I'm almost tempted to ask for commission info but I don't want to give you more work because it looks like you're already doing loads as is!  And having an arteest friend, I know how it is to be overloaded.

thegayhare

SQUEEEE

Oh cool hon
*tackle hugs the king*

Wow

So I'm now the SGH-1

thank you sir

*huggles again*

please don't mind this but I now have the irrisitble to strike a pose and shout hail to the king.

*does so and gets things thrown at him cause he just woke up everyone else in the house*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf: Perhaps he's reviewing film, rather than filming something? That would mean it's a projector, rather than a recorder. The flare around the lens could be explained as a heat protector, to stop someone putting their fingers in the light and getting burnt?

Just a thought.

Amazing pictures, tho. You have some incredible detail going on there, KoH.

... looking at the bunny makes me think of the end scene in Aliens, with Ripley in the loader appearing out of the doorway and screaming at the alien queen... which I can't quote here without breaching the forum rating :-)

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 03, 2006, 07:19:42 AM
Tapewolf: Perhaps he's reviewing film, rather than filming something? That would mean it's a projector, rather than a recorder. The flare around the lens could be explained as a heat protector, to stop someone putting their fingers in the light and getting burnt?

Film viewers look totally different, and projectors don't have a viewfinder :S

Okay, blacking out the entire thing doesn't quite work, how about this?

(Click for full image)

KarlOmega1

Pic w/ Jakob: very good...now if I can only give some film Ideas to him...

Pic w/ Shadrock: Awesome...I assume he has a parachute or else he wouldn't have jumped outta the plane?

Pic w/ Mecha TGH: Time to kick butt, wouldn't you say?

Shotacon pic: *Gawks, drools, and nosebleeds* the...female...is...sexy...

Elemental pic: Pretty.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Gareeku

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on September 03, 2006, 02:07:11 PMShotacon pic: *Gawks, drools, and nosebleeds* the...female...is...sexy...

Stop that. Its annoying.

KarlOmega1

*snaps outta it*  errr....sorry about that, Gareeku.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Zedd

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Shadrok

I think your the first person I've seen draw Shadrok. :D

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 03, 2006, 06:38:01 AM
From the strap I'm assuming he does have a parachute :twisted
That or taking delivering a package to extremes.

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on September 03, 2006, 02:07:11 PM
Pic w/ Shadrock: Awesome...I assume he has a parachute or else he wouldn't have jumped outta the plane?
One thing to remember about Shadrok's character is he knows magic. One spell in particular he could use if his parachute failed, it's a sort of air cushion of swirling wind that slows his fall.