World of Aeroch, take two. OOC/Character creation thread.

Started by Corgatha Taldorthar, January 11, 2009, 12:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

Aight, I thought I'd give this another crack, see if I could scrape up a few people this time around. If you were interested in the Aeroch thing the first time around, I'd be glad to have you back aboard.

For anyone who saw and wasn't hooked, or has no idea what I'm talking about.........

I'm trying to start up a dark fantasy RP, set in a medieval technological setting (nothing more advanced than a windmill or a water wheel), both human and non-human species, including furries, magic, but not blow up world superpower magic. It's a very nasty, dark place, and this isn't one where altruism and goodness and light are going to be instantly rewarded, at least not in the material sense.

I do have a plot planned out, which I am keeping to myself for obvious reasons, involving the escalation of a currently low level conflict. I'm guessing that since the people who will (hopefully) sign up will want to play adventurers, the staple of the fantasy Rp, I had a preliminary plan starting with your group in a tavern after a skirmish where your NPC captain was killed, trying to work out what, if anything you'll do to keep the group together.

This is a crude map of the place.

It's a watery world, so adventurers would likely have some boating experience.

Two final notes, and then you can all call me an idiot :p

One, due to a quirk in the way magic works here, it's not feasible to pull things or people in from other dimensions. Nobody remembers how it's done anymore.

Secondly, I have a *lot* of details about this world situation up in my bone-box, and I don't want to flood them in all at once. (Didn't work last time) If you have requests for information, I really would enjoy answering them, even if you decide you don't want to play.

Best wishes,
Corgatha Taldorthar.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Boog

The links just take you to an upload thing at imageshack, may want to fix that.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Ok, sorry about that. I *suck* at posting images and links up. But with a bit of help, I managed to get it under control. You can now see the map, although I'm not sure you want to :p
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Lisky

... i'm interested, and if we're supposed to be going with dark and evil characters i've got the perfect incubus i can modify and use

soo, you want me to PM you the idea, or just post it here?

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Noone

I'd be interested in another go, just saying I haven't forgotten entirely. :)
(I'll be using the same character as before, assuming there aren't any issues.)

Sunblink

Tipod

"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Lisky

soo, just thought i'd ask if i should post my character here now, or just wait for other people, and do it then?

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Corgatha Taldorthar

To Tipod, there are sharks in the water, and some mutant sharks if there has been magical leakage, but no landsharks or flying sharks or anything like that.

Basilisk : Sure, post it up. The1Kobra, would you mind copying the old bio you had and putting it up here? Keaton, do you have a bio, or are you just going to play some archtypal "Keaton" character?

Lisky

Garis Ahnasazi
German Shepherd/Wolf incubus
height: 6 foot 2 inches+ 16 foot wingspan
weight: 200 pounds
Black overcoat, with a silver undercoat, his back and tail are jet black, his face is black on top, with silver across his throat, under his eyes, and across his cheeks... the black seems to give an almost raccoon mask appearance across his eyes. (look at my avatar for an idea of the face and colors) his eye's are gray, and appear very catlike.
He's thin and muscular, with very predatory lines in both his head and body.  His hands are very human, though clawed, and his feet are padded, and therefore he never wears shoes. His clan symbol is a snake crawling up a scythe, similar to a healers symbol, though far more sinister, it is located on inside of his left forearm.  His emotions tastes are confusion and pain, and when he's hungry, he has no problems getting what he wants.

He uses magic as more of a distraction than actual combat skills knowing some basic fire, ice, and storm (Wind and Lightning) based spells. He prefers to shapes his wings into bladed or pointed weapons, and the only physical weapon he carries is a long, triangular dagger, in a sheath across his back... He fights fast, and vicious, wearing no armor, and using the knife defensively.  The bladed tentacles he uses are no stronger or sharper than a standard steel longsword, but they allow him to attack from several directions at once, making him a very dangerous adversary in 1 on 1, or it allows Garis to fight several opponents at once.  His largest limitation is that the concentration required to create and maintain the blades allows him to only make and control 2 bladed tentacles at a time.  Pointy weaponed tentacles are easier, he can create and control 4 of them.

Among his other skills, he's naturally stealthy, especially at night due to his dark fur, despite his canine features, his eye's seem more feline than anything else, adding to his night hunting abilities. he's intuitive, and picks up on the basic working of things fairly easily.  His easy going nature makes him somewhat charismatic and easy to get along with, but because it's the way he acts naturally, it makes him more or less oblivious to it.  When he gets time, he does enjoy both cooking and reading, but because food is optional and not mandatory, it makes cooking an even rarer treat for him when he does cook.  As for books, when he can find them, he enjoys them, but for an adventurer, they are usually a rare, and expensive luxury.

For clothing he usually just wears a pair of black, baggy, cotton pants.  Though for more formal occasions he's been seen in a black tunic with forest green trim and matching pants. 

Relatively young by cubi standards,  He has a tendency to be reckless, arrogant, and unpredictable... Having a lighter personality, he is a bit of a joker, and almost always easy to get along with.  Depending on his whim, he may or may not have his head wings exposed.  Not driven by greed, if he goes on an adventure, it's usually because it sounds like it's going to either be exciting or fun.

He has a tendency to be a bit of a showoff, and enjoys hanging out in pubs and inns.  He has what many would describe as ADD with women, though that would be putting it lightly....  To those who know him, what he does and how he acts can best be described as a leaf on the wind.

Mao

This could be interesting, but I'm not sure if Mao will fit in this reality.

Corgatha Taldorthar

No pressure. We'll probably be starting soon. Why don't you take a look at how the RP goes for a little bit, and see if you like Mao to hang out in Aeroch then? I'm sure we can find some way of writing you into the story.

Lisky

So far it looks like its Keaton, Kobra, and myself at the moment, and Corgatha is the GM...  so, did i miss someone?

Noone

Copy/Pasting Character...

Name: Kyavirr Durthan
Species: Male Exotic, Feline
Nationality: from Tolreram
Physical appearance:
Kyavirr stands 5 ft 10 inches tall. He has yellow eyes, pointy ears, and weighs around 140 lbs. His fur color is black. He is slightly slim in comparison to humans.
Personality:
Kyavirr is generally easygoing, and he very rarely loses his cool, keeping level headed even when events around him are at their worst. He is somewhat shy though, he usually keeps to himself unless called upon, and he gets uncomfortable in large crowds. He is quite friendly when spoken to, generally polite, and rarely breaks eye-contact. He also has a dislike of religious types.
Skills/Strengths/Weaknesses:
In combat, Kyavirr prefers taking targets off at a distance with his longbow. He is a very good shot with it, able to quickly spot weaknesses in the defenses of most enemies and hit at long distance. If pressed into melee combat, he will pull out his rapier which he can use with skill and decent precision, though he is significantly more skilled at ranged combat than he is in close quarters combat. Kyavirr is quick and dextrous, and has very fine-tuned reflexes, he is also a decent acrobat, skilled at jumping, rolling, and tumbling past danger. He generally wears studded leather armor, which while decently protective, not so restrictive as to hamper Kyavirr's natural reflexes.

Kyavirr, being from Tolreram, is economically educated, and is skilled at appraising an item's value and at dealing with merchants. He also has a good understanding of both macroeconomics and microeconomics. Aside from that, he is also adept at working with small boats that merchants commonly use.

He is able to see well in the dark, and has heightened hearing, sight, and smell.

Kyavirr also has some innate magical abilities. Most of them revolve around illusions and subtle charms. His magic is entirely natural, he is able to cast it without having had any magical schooling. That said, he also lacks the magical knowledge that is commonly associated with arcane casters. His spells also have an element of undependability to them, sometimes backfiring in a comical fashion, his most common case is one where it turns his fur rainbow colored for an hour.
Some of his favorite spells involve:
Creation or removal of light, which can be used to make an object glow brightly, illimunating dark places, or create a field of 'almost' natural darkness, which he can see through, but some creatures can't.
He can also bend light to hide objects, or camoflauge himself or others. Examples include hiding a pit by making the floor seem uniform where it is, or making a person blend in with his immediate surroundings. (moving would probably break such an illusion)
He is also able to use illusion magic to make the appearance of a change minor features like hair color, eye color, or other minor changes to appearance like a removal of a beard or mustache.

One of his other magical abilities, as part of his innate magical power, also allows him to detect magical auras. For most spells and enchantments, he has to concentrate to actually detect magical auras. However, for more powerful enchantments (like the results of most ritual magic), he can detect it without concentrating on this ability.
Background:
Kyavirr is an Exotic from Tolreram. He has no memories of his real parents, but he is an adopted child of Warren Durthan, a semi wealthy merchant from Tolreram, though Kyavirr doesn't talk about the circumstances involved in the adoption. Kyavirr learned much about economic system from him, and helped him along with his family's travels. He is well educated as far as economics goes, though he is literate and has some background on political and legal affairs. He mostly helped deal with the few exotics that Warren dealt with, as they were friendlier towards him than they were towards his human 'family.' He picked up archery as a hobby, and during his late teens, he started developing a natural affinity for illusiary magic, though his powers were modest at best. (and oddly comical at worst)
His change to the adventuring life was swift and sudden, his family was accused of large-scale illegal trading and fraud. Kyavirr himself never partook in any such activities, but never found out if said accusations had any truth to them. (He was more distant to his parents than his 'brother' and 'sister' were.) All four of them were sent to jail time and had most of their assets stripped, but Kyavirr was acquitted, though he is very tight-lipped about the specifics. With nowhere else to go, and with some equipment and assets he had, he took to the adventuring life, bringing his bow, illusions, and his charming nature with him.

Lisky

well, 2 questions regarding the game before we get going,
1: do we need to collect the party or are we getting a brief backstory as to why we're collected and where we're at?

2: What kind of area are we starting in (IE: poverty stricken town, or bustling city)

Corgatha Taldorthar

I was thinking we'd start when Keaton got her bio in.  My "generic" plan (please object if any of you have a problem to this) was to have you in a farily small city in Crenshar, a more cosmopolitan place than most (since two of you are furries and the third seems to want to play an orc) You were all part of an adventuring group which just had it's NPC leader killed in the last skirmish, leaving the three of you guys.

Further notes. Cities neame is Cadmus population of about 6,000 ; mostly human, but with some Mixed and orc presence. There's a small outpost of the Crenshar mage guild, although they probably won't talk to you. Generally, you'd be able to buy any sort of basic supplies when it comes to food, weapons, ships, farm implements etc. You wouldn't be able to find horses (horses are really expensive in this world) and magic is available, although you'd need the guild to approve it, and since they don't know you..............

This all right with everyone?

Lisky

soo, just noticed that this hasn't been active for a while... sounds good to me so far... though curious as to what the snag is to getting started on the IC thread

Corgatha Taldorthar

The snag, for lack of a better term, is that I only have two players, and I'm pretty sure that you can't get an RP with only a DM and two players. *sighs* this one is looking pretty dead. Sorry for wasting your time guys.

techmaster-glitch

It looks like you've got Basilisk and the1kobra...didn't Keaton say she was gonna be in?

Lisky

dude, don't kill it yet, just wait a bit, at least another week

Tipod

Hell, I'll join up. Just give me till like later tonight to get something in.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Lisky

Mao

Likely school and Art Classes and life in general.  She's a pretty busy woman.

Corgatha Taldorthar

And the fact that this thing was stupid the first time around and trying to bring it back even more so. It was an act of either hubris or idiocy, depending on your take on it. Can someone put this in the mine where it belongs?

Edit- Oh, and Keaton told me she wouldn't be in. Good sense in her.

Lisky

you sure you want to kill this?

i'm still in if your gonna keep it afloat, just an FYI

kingfield

well ill join, ive been itching to get into my first RP here and this fits my job description

Tapewolf

Quote from: kingfield on March 08, 2009, 12:45:20 AM
well ill join, ive been itching to get into my first RP here and this fits my job description
It's been dead for more than a month, so I think you may be a little late there.  Also, I suggest you make sure you read the rules again - reviving topics after more than a few weeks is considered Bad Form.  Please don't do it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E