DMFA: Apparently People Like It.

Started by Rafe, January 04, 2009, 10:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tycoon

@rabid_fox

When I can't discern a creature's actual body parts from some sort of gory ripping of said body parts off of a body...

When Amber draws violence ("when" being the huge qualifier), I can actually make sense of what's going on. Jack... notsomuch.

Rafe

All I'd say is, you can't judge Jack  by the first 100 pages or so.  I at least hope you read as far as Arc III, "Trixi and Tet".  Jack takes a while to introduce its universe. 

Yes, Jack has all those adult content warnings, but it isn't some gratuitous gamer/action or sex comic.  Jack has some fantastically well done characters in some very emotionally intense stories.  Honestly, the only thing on the same level I've ever seen is "Abel's Story". 

Not everyone who reads DMFA, would be into "Abel's Story", but if you can deal with that level of gut-wrenching emotion, you might like it.  As different as they are, Jack and DMFA have a lot of the same fans.  That's because Amber and David and Katie Hopkins have the amazing ability to come up with very human, very believeable characters, and put them in stories you can't stop reading.

I'm not saying everyone will like Jack, but give it a chance.  Imagine if someone went into the DMFA archives and just read the early black and white gag-a-day part. 
Rafe

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Zina

I don't get why people always defend Jack by saying the only reason someone might not like it is because it's too "EMOTIONALLY POWERFUL", when in reality people might not like it because they think it is a bad comic with terrible writing.

Sunblink

Quote from: Zina on February 10, 2009, 10:08:07 AM
I don't get why people always defend Jack by saying the only reason someone might not like it is because it's too "EMOTIONALLY POWERFUL", when in reality people might not like it because they think it is a bad comic with terrible writing.

I used to be a pretty big fan of Jack, and occasionally I still read some of the comics. The recent arc looks promising.  But I feel as though there's been a huge decline in quality in some of the more recent arcs (Saving Arloest, Case of the Traveling Corpse, Those That Run). Not to mention, I feel that Crush! Yiff! Destroy! has a good point about its flat characterization.

I do like the older arcs like Games We Play in Hell, Hell is that Noise, Suffer, and Dinner at Arloest's.

But I hate how people keep comparing Abel's Story to Jack. Seriously. Jack is NOT the greatest thing since sliced bread and not every furry comic that incorporates violence or dark elements is a poor, shoddy rip-off of Jack.

Quote from: Sofox on January 22, 2009, 07:20:37 PM
Have you ever noticed that? How often the main character in any piece of media just has no personality?

YES D:

BeckyW

Where did anyone compare "Abel's Story" to Jack?   Rafe was comparing "Abel's Story" to the rest of DMFA

And as far as I can see, most of the people who accuse Jack of having "bad writing"
just say it, they never back it up with any kind of analysis.  Speaking as someone who majored in Drama amd English, I might notice more easily how much effort and craftsmanship there is in Jack.  Some people aren't used to reading stories that have plot elements that take place over more than a few dozen pages, or characters that reveal themselves slowly, not because "Oh wow, everyone likes X so let's give her a backstory", but because it was actually PLANNED that way. 

Most people are used to comics with stories that are written a few days or weeks at a time.  Jack is already written.  Has been for a long time.  It's being released in installments. Lots of classic writers (e.g. Charles Dickens) worked this way.  And like Dickens, some people might like some of Jack but not all of it.  Stories vary in tone because there's this thing called "pacing" that some people haven't heard of, apparently. They might sit still for "A Christmas Carol", but not "Nicholas Nickleby".

If it wasn't for Jack, I would have never found DMFA, but not because of the fact that Amber was doing  fan-art of Jack, or that Mab became a character in Jack's heaven, but because Amber wrote comments on the Jack forum that showed how much more attention she was paying to the subtle details of the story.  Where some people saw just outward stereotype characters, Amber, way ahead of the others, saw that something much deeper was happening.  I knew I had to check out her comic, and sure enough, it was as thoughtful and well crafted as I thought it would be. 

And I'm sorry if people like Zina can't stand that other people (apparently a lot of them) seem to enjoy Jack, to the point that every time it gets mentioned, she has to come out with unsupported, blanket epithets and assume that other people are shallow enough to believe her.  You've said it before, we know how you feel, and we don't care.  If nothing else, try to accept that not everyone here randomly insults what the rest of us find enjoyable.   

Amber Williams

Ok.

Thats enough. 

If people want to discuss the pros and cons of Jack, they can now take it to PM. Or set up a thread in General just for the occasion.  I have officially had it.

If I hear one more. one more. comment from either side that I consider baiting to the other (either someone out of the blue referencing Jack without there actually being a connection to the discussion at hand. Or someone out of the blue slamming Jack without there being a connection to the discussion at hand.) ...I will eat your face.

Seriously. I will eat it clear off.

I am tired of constantly getting dragged into this argument because it is a no-win for me. I have friends who like Jack, and I have friends who hate Jack. And I hate the fact I keep getting forced into a spot where I feel I need to side with one or the other.  Both sides have their validity, and both sides seem to have a giant axe they want to swing around anytime the other rears up.  And at this point, the fact that both sides cannot play nice means no one gets to play in the sandbox.

If you dont like Jack, that is fine. You are more than entitled to and I don't fault anyone for not liking something for whichever reason you choose. You do like Jack, that is also fine. You are also more than entitled to like something for whatever reason you choose.  There is no right or wrong in liking something.

But from here on out, until I decide otherwise, no one is entitled to talk about their opinions on Jack one way or another on the DMFA section of the forum. Take it to PM, take it to General if you want to go full-blown internet sissy slap-fight mode, I dont care. But I don't want to see it here.  And if I do, I will consider it as a disrespect to me.

And I will eat your face.

Right off.

Amber Williams

Double-posting add note

Please keep in mind, that I am not angry at any particular individual. And I am not trying to stomp on the freedom of chatterings of peeps. Though in this particular thread, it was pretty much barrelling towards what would have been a full out argument.

Which if you guys really really really want to get going, it is your call. But it would be in General and would be up to Dmoon/Damaris to decide whether or not it was just a big slap-fight and how it should be handled. I personally would not be stepping into the thread whatsoever.

The reason for this is because this is a very uneasy spot for me. I do consider Dave a friend of sorts, and it is akward for me when people post on the forum negative things in regards to his comic.  However, I also know that Dave's comic is in a particular hot zone that is bound to attract comments one way or another. 

I consider Dave a friend, but I can also fully see the reasons behind some of the negative comments that his comic does get. And yes, in some cases, I do agree with some of the critiques that arent doused in "RAWR DAVE RAPES PUPPIES" gasoline. 

On the flipside, I have people I consider a friend that really dislike Jack. And that is always a bit of an awkward place to be in because since they are my friends, I also respect their opinions and can understand the angle they are coming from.

At this exact moment in time, it feels like I am in a spot where I have to pick sides. And I don't want to. And so, like all great cowards, I shot this thread down because I want to avoid the subject for a period of time until I feel I am ready to handle this situation.  And with immigration still on a focal point, I am not ready to handle this situation.

If people really want to throw down over Jack, that is their call. All I ask is to leave me out of this at the time because I dont feel comfortable with this situation.