Revival of the map of DMFAers

Started by Jack McSlay, July 12, 2006, 05:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McSlay

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Gullible

Meep, there's someone right next to me. >.<

bill

Someone lives in Nashua, near me.

Dakata

No one can see meeeeeee! Bwahahah!

...I'm invisible! *Ninja ninja ninja~!*

(I ain't spammin'. I put my thingie on there.

...Bah. I probably put it in the wrong city. Dunno where my dang city is on there. XP So confoozling.)

xHaZxMaTx

How do I put myself on there?  I found my street! :lol

Kio

:yeahthat NVM!!  You right click on your area!!!

Supercheese

Quote from: Gullible on July 12, 2006, 05:34:46 PM
Meep, there's someone right next to me. >.<

Well, the more people from Scotland, the better, eh?

Good grief, there's a lot! I'll have to sneak mine in somwhere... >.>

Jack McSlay

lonely...  :mowsad

(mine's the one in the southeast Brazil)

roninfoxtail

I can swear there is also a DMFAers map on Frappar.

EDIT: Found link, http://www.frappr.com/dmfareaders

KarlOmega1

Ummmm...someone fix that site so I can put where I am without the site (Censored)-ing up my MSN?!

*Is currently Peeved at site messing up MSN*
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Supercheese

Quote from: Ronin Foxtail on July 12, 2006, 06:47:46 PM

Hm. More sparsely populated.

Darkmoon

Aight, here's a thought, although it won't get taken care of until after this month is over:

Why not make our own map, instead of using Google? That thing takes FOREVER to load. All that would be needed to to draw a map of the world (and any countries that are heavyily populated. I can do that.

Then all that's required is for people to list what city/countries they are in. We can run and idex of people, and just have it be a picture featured on CM.com. A similar idea was done at another Castlevania forum, and it worked quite nicely.

LigerJet

I'm not sure this works so well...I mean, people are covering eachother up. oo

Jack McSlay

yep... seing how the situation is in the us, we'd need a very large map, and with this one we can get a very good precision, many of the markers are exactly on the people's houses

besides, there's the nifty option to export to google earth  :mowcookie

Rowne

Yeah, it doesn't seem that great to me, what with all the endless clipping and as far as I could see, the inability to zoom in (I checked in both Firefox and K-Meleon, I couldn't see any zoom functions).  I've seen much better map software out there on the internet, even stuff that's really free.  So if someone wanted to host it, setting up our own map with one of the better pieces of map software might be a better idea.

Still though, it's better than some I've seen and it's actually fun ... but I couldn't find myself on there after I added myself, I think I was sandwiched beneath two others.  *Cough.*

Supercheese

I was overridden on the first one... but the zoom worked fine. I found my precise spot on my street...

Poofyspikes

Quote from: Supercheese on July 12, 2006, 06:54:30 PM

Yes, because it wasn't posted on the DMFA front page. :o

Gabi

Hey, I can see myself on the map! :) What happened to Guada, whoever she was?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Damaris

Ha!  There's two people in our town with us.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

Well, you swouldn't get the precision of being avle to see your exact street with a large JPG, but on the flip, it would load in seconds, not minutes.

A clear index of people and regional maps would do the trick for half the price ;). :deal

Miaka

BAH. I found my bloody house, and  can't place a marker. >>

[edit:] HOLY CRAP. I had no idea the cemetery at the end of my street was that big.

roninfoxtail

Hmm... odd,
Quote from: Poofyspikes on July 12, 2006, 08:53:15 PM
Quote from: Supercheese on July 12, 2006, 06:54:30 PM

Yes, because it wasn't posted on the DMFA front page. :o

I'm not so sure this one has been either, my the marker I made on this one isn't found, unless of course you deleted a few.

xHaZxMaTx

roninfoxtail

By clicking on where you want to place a marker and typing in the stuff.

...Bleh, I'll put mine down again.

EDIT: Holy, this map is old, it still calls my school "New Haven Middle" when it changed maybe... 6-8 years ago?

Malakin

Yay, im on the map, just north of london!

Uhh oh... everyone knows where i am now 

o.o

Rowne

I think my browsers must simply not like that map site, I still can't spot the zoom sutffs.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Ronin Foxtail on July 12, 2006, 09:44:20 PM
By clicking on where you want to place a marker and typing in the stuff.

...Bleh, I'll put mine down again.
I click and nothing happens. :cry That makes me a sad panda.

Rowne

Yeah, the Javascript is a bit funky.  This is why I wish sites would do things like this in Flash, which is a bit more of a Universal standard.  A lot of people code Javascript elements which don't work well Universally across browsers.

I had to reload it a few times to get it to allow me to place an icon, it looked like the code wasn't fully loading.  I still can't find the zoom buttons either.  *Cough.*

Alondro

Hmm, I see that there is a Kat somewhat close to where I live in New Jersey.  Ah, and there's Lizardbeth in Philly. :)  But this work computer doesn't like the map enough to let me put my spot in the Pine Barrens on there.   :mowtongue

And who put the Jersey Devil in North Jersey?!  He lives where I live!  In the Pine Barrens!  His name is Bob.  :mowdan
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Rowne

Try clearing the cache and doing a fresh reload of the page multiple times, that allowed me to sort of-ish place my marker anyway, I just had to make a stab at it on the unzoomed map though so for all I know, I might've ended up in Manchester.