Amber Vs. Canada: Lawyer-mode

Started by Amber Williams, December 15, 2008, 03:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Just figured I would give you forumnites the heads up of what is likely gonna be mentioned on Wednesday.

---
Mason and I have just finished our rounds of talking with two different law groups about our situation.

So far its looking like with either group, its a pretty surefire thing about getting the paperwork done in time and done proper.  However, its also looking like its gonna be around 2 thousand bucks.  So while I am not as worried about worst case scenario, its definately far from the greatest since this has not been the financial yay year I would like it to be. (Oh car...you ironic bugger)

So here is the ultimate issue. In theory Mason and I will be able to handle the fees without help. But we are going to be so broke. I am talking like...100 in both our banks combined broke. The kind of broke where we are gonna be eating ramen for a month to help save up on groceries and hoping that no bills spring up on us out of the blue.  And if we have to do that, well, then thats what we will do.  But I am hoping that it isn't going to have to be that case.

On Wednesday I will be doing the cameo auction. (I admit the delay sort of bummed me and then I held off cause I wanted to see if it was even necessary)  I intend to host it on the forum in a locked thread and have just peeps mail me their top bid.  I am also going to look around and see about possibly selling what I can to help rustle up any extra funds cause its definately at a point where $20 here is what covers the FBI record check. $150 there is what covers the medical exam and xray.  $900 over there is all the processing fees and another $900ish is what covers the cost of the guy who puts it all together and acts as our representitive for our case.  Its a lot of smaller things that just add up into a really scary sum.

Donations are appreciated moreso than normal. I will be trying my best to scrabble and finish the commissions I owe so I can see about trying to add some more to a queu.  Odds are I will be adding a counter to the main page next update so peeps can track the progress.  At this time pretty much all money coming in will be going straight to immigration, food, or bills I have to pay each month otherwise bad things happen.

It's going to be a very stressful December. But I am hopeful that it will pay off and doing this will ensure that 2009 will not be equally stressful.  At least in terms of the border. 
---

I figure I would post this up for you guys to hear first, because I admit, right now feedback and the "you can do eeet" "good luck"  well wishes are also super appreciated. I am very much over my head in many aspects...and in some ways its just good to know I am not flying too far out of reality.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... somehow I feel I won't be able to bid enough to win.

Oh, well. I'd say "you can do it" etc, but we all know you can, so..
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

Well right now the biggest "oh crap" is that they want bank statements from both Mason and myself. Which considering our current financial "urf" going on...is not looking the most chipper. :U

But yeah. Later this week Mason has to make a check for $1800, which is basically gonna take his bank account from 2000 to 200.  Its...well...very unsettling really. 

If push comes to shove, I will gladly give up the nummy foods, the video games I have gotten over the years (with the xception to the super Nintendo my brother got me.) and hell, at this point I would even consider selling the originals to Abel's Story part one if I thought I could put a dent in the bills.  Mason has a job, but supporting two peeps on it is not the easiest of things.  Especially since every month I have about $300 in bills of my own.

I just gotta tell myself peeps have done more with less. 
Right now though I am going to try to relax and sleep on things. Tomorrow Mason and I are going to come to a decision about which law peep to go with and then things start from there. If we can stay true to this task, things will be great by mid-January.

But oh god December is going to be hell. D:

Lisky

i'm sorry there not much i can do for now but provide moral support...  In like 5 years if you need a good doctor, i'll gladly repay you for the entertainment you've provided me, especially durring finals week...
Just remember, if something seems insurmountable, break it down into little pieces, and take each little piece in stride, before you know it, the task is done, and you can move onto something better and brighter

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Amber Williams

Don't knock the moral support, its much appreciated.  :3

Sometimes its just good to know that one isnt really alone and there are peeps out there supporting you.

Tapewolf

Ugh, that's definitely not a nice position to be in.  Anyhow, I hope the auction goes well.  I'll try to do my part, for what it's worth... 

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Holy poo, Amber. D: That is one hell of a situation. I really hope everything turns out alright in the end. We're all here for you! :tighthug

I'm gonna see if I can send in a donation. I'm probably not going to participate in the auction, but that doesn't mean I can't help out. I'm sure everyone'll be really interested if you open up commissions again, too; I know at least two people who would be dying for one.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I've generally been aloof from offering moral support, because I feel it's somewhat backfisted to give words and nothing else, but since you seem to be worried I want to say that you are not alone, that we do care about you. DMFA has been a wonderful addition to my life, and even if I try to break it down into intellectualized parts, it's one of the most fun activities I've engaged in in a few years. I'm sitting in your corner, and if there's anything a sarcastic, overintellectual english major can do for you, yell at me, I'll get on it.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Jairus

Well, I don't think I can win, but I'll bid what I can justify possibly spending anyway. Just point me in the right direction when the time comes. And in the meantime, we're rooting for you Amber. You can survive this. :hug
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ren Gaulen

You'll make it through, Amber! We believe in you! Believe in us who believe in you! And believe in yourself, too! You can do it! :]

rt

you can dooo eeeet!

It's Canada ... you can take 'em, you've survived the Grizzly Bears, Rabid Moose, and Polar Bears so far, you can take on a few lawyers. (Watch out for the pinguins though)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on December 15, 2008, 04:46:11 PM
Well, I don't think I can win, but I'll bid what I can justify possibly spending anyway.
If you don't, it would be nice to donate some of it to her anyway.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 15, 2008, 04:53:16 PM
Quote from: Jairus on December 15, 2008, 04:46:11 PM
Well, I don't think I can win, but I'll bid what I can justify possibly spending anyway.
If you don't, it would be nice to donate some of it to her anyway.
Oh, of course. Don't worry about that.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Gareeku

Considering I'm not exactly overflowing with money myself to take part in this cameo auction (I very much doubt I would win anyway), unfortunately I cannot provide financial support at this point, only moral. My thoughts will be with you.

Alondro

Well, I'm in a slightly better position financially, so I can jump into the auction with everything I've got!  (plus Charline is threatening to kill me nonstop 10,000 times in every conceivable way if I lose  :<  )

It's not going to be a massive, overwhelming bid.  But it'll certainly take quite a chunk out of the immigration bill.   :3

By the way Amber, how are you enjoying -30 temperatures?  It's 65 here in NJ today!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 15, 2008, 03:30:05 PM
I just gotta tell myself peeps have done more with less. 

...Tomorrow Mason and I are going to come to a decision about which law peep to go with...

Mmm, marshmallow law peeps.  (Anyone care to sketch that?)

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Flute Concerto No. 1: 3rd movement (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Naldru

I don't know if it will be of any help, but all I can say is what I've said to my wife and kids in a case like this.  Even at its worst, things like this, repairing the car, replacing the roof, having to rip out the bathroom and replace everything from the wood joists on up (my parents are going through that right now), etc. is still a lot cheaper and less stressful than even middle range health problems.  Many years ago, Benjamin Franklin said "He who steals my purse steals trash."  What he meant was that you're worth a lot more.

Just a thought for your consideration:  sell futures for name badges for Anthrocon to bear the legend "Amber Williams Legal Defense Fund".

I have also heard that it has proven cathartic to do illustrations related to your problems.  (In Japan, having the personnel manager tapping you on the shoulder and asking to see you in his office often meant that you were being laid off.  I understand that an editorial cartoon that caused great merriment among many was a cartoon of the personnel director getting the tap on the shoulder.)

Never ask an engineer "What's the worst that can happen?"  You won't sleep for a month.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Silver Pomeranian Genji

I know I'm not one to speak to on the topic of money management, but I would also like to offer my support and pray that the scale tips in your favor. I mean, how bad can it get? *is secretly hoping I haven't jinxed Amber by saying that.*
Mah Boi, this peace is what all true lawyers strive for. Anybody know Moira Gianna's number?

Vuanaunt

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 15, 2008, 03:51:39 PM
Don't knock the moral support, its much appreciated.  :3

Sometimes its just good to know that one isn't really alone and there are peeps out there supporting you.

I'm not sure how much this helps... Or how to word it...

You are the inspirational* person I know of.

I was given a choice essays, and choose This one, mostly for the scholarship, however It asked for a Hero. I  instantly thought of you; You happened to fit the requirements as well. (it's currently being edited by my teacher.)

I admit this probably won't help financially, unless you really wanted $2000 to "designate to the Indiana high school of your choice", but I don't really have anything to donate.

I'm positive "you can do eeet!"

*I know Inspirational isn't the best compliment, but it's the most accurate.

Pagan

You've got my best hopes and wishes, Amber. You'll make it. We're rootin' for you!

Unfortunately, words are all I can offer. Good luck.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Faerie Alex

"...we choose to...do [these] things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..." -JFK

You go get 'em Amber. :eager And even if I have no chance of winning, you can count on one more bidder for the auction.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Cogidubnus

I haven't been reading the comic as long as most of the peeps here. But, in the short time that I have been here, I have never ceased to be impressed with your upbeat attitude, despite all the obstacles that you've faced over the last few years. Donations are not the most secure form of financial income, and despite the unexpected bills, border immigration issues, car troubles, computer problems (which is more serious than it sounds in your case, I think),and all the other difficulties that arise from life, you've never given up, never thrown a tantrum, never let yourself give into depression, and never let life beat your infectiously good attitude down. So far as can be seen from here, you have truly been an example for all of us to follow.

I can only wish I had your sort of strength. I'm certain you can get through this rough patch too. Good luck, Ms. Williams.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Alondro on December 15, 2008, 05:37:56 PM
(plus Charline is threatening to kill me nonstop 10,000 times in every conceivable way if I lose  :<  )

Amber, can you possibly not announce the winner of the auction until after Anthrocon? I wouldn't want to cause the multiple death of the guy that's holding the room I'm staying in until after I'm done staying in it. >:3
(nah, I probasbly don't have enough money to win the cameo auction...)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Gamma

I'm not original but I went back and put in some effort. Tell me if you have a better slogan for the bottom.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Prof B Hunnydew

Now, A Cameo would be great and all... But I would like to see a few commission auctions... on top of that, so the little fish can play and it would give you added bonuses from more than one source..

Anyway
We love you, Amber, Don't give up the fight... You have a loving mate, a loving family, and adoring fans.. To keep you out of hot water... It will get a little warm, but we keep you from the deep end.

:mowcookie :hug
PBH

senrath

You can do it Amber!  Have faith!

Colgatecrusader

sorry i can't give anything but emotional support. I believe in you!
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Valynth

If I hadn't lost my job, I'd be donating right now.  Anyway, I hope you get the funds you need, and if things go wrong, I'll just have to bear the cold, head up to canada and get stabby until your problems are fixed.  Just point me in the general direction and I'm sure it will get fixed eventually.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

llearch n'n'daCorna

If push comes to shove, I will gladly give up the nummy foods, the video games I have gotten over the years (with the xception to the super Nintendo my brother got me.) and hell, at this point I would even consider selling the originals to Abel's Story part one if I thought I could put a dent in the bills.  Mason has a job, but supporting two peeps on it is not the easiest of things.  Especially since every month I have about $300 in bills of my own.

Mmm. I'd suggest thinking carefully about some of those. After all, while this is a one-time problem, a one-time solution to it may cause some issues later on down the track.

You might be better off figuring out some other things to do, that you can continue to do on a regular, or irregular basis, that will bring in an on-going income. Sure, this one time you need a big lump sum, but you might be better off thinking about how to get smaller sums every month, rather than just once a year...

But oh god December is going to be hell. D:

You said it. Having birthdays in December and January means massive outlays (off the top of my head, we have 16, 31, 1, 3, 13, 14, 17, 18, 22, 26, 31... so far. I'm guessing most parents in my family have themselves a very happy easter...) so we've usually got some serious money issues come the end of January... so I can sympathise. :-/
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 16, 2008, 04:54:32 AM
Mmm. I'd suggest thinking carefully about some of those. After all, while this is a one-time problem, a one-time solution to it may cause some issues later on down the track.

Seconded, especially with regard to Abel's Story.  That has great potential as a book, and dispersing the original artwork is something that can (A) only be done once and (B) not easily be undone should the need arise.