I like London... except for the roads

Started by Azlan, December 13, 2008, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

Quite nice place I must admit.  I could not drive on those streets, not at all.

The people in London are quite a shade more helpful than anyone here in San Diego.  Eating in restaurants is also far more enjoyable and peaceful than in America, here there is always a feeling of rushing, busy and it would seem they are trying to get you out the door as fast as possible. 

Though, it appears that lifts... elevators... are quite scarce.  Having had to travel between lodgings three times made carrying all that luggage up steps very tiring.  The whole purpose of the trip was so that Neni could see a favorite band of hers, Kajagoogoo.  So we went from London to Milton Keynes and finally to Crawley since we were flying out of Gatwick.

All in all, she had her concert... we had Lunch with the guitarist Steve Askew and his wife Anna.  We also got some sightseeing in, which included much of London.  We also made it out to Windsor Castle, and the Queen was in residence.  She declined to have high tea with us though.

For some odd reason, I wasn't allowed to join the White's Club, go figure  :U  I was able to become an honorary member of the Reform Club though, they seemed to like my Californian accent.

A few interesting things to note:

The squirrels in Hyde park wish to have handouts... they will come up to you and ask, do not refuse.
The way to get a meal free is to find inchworms in the rocket.
Inchworms have no taste.
The hotel purveyors in Hounslow do not know the difference between the Rail and the Tube.
A Travelpass is full of win.
Bacon seems to be a block of salt shaped to look like a piece of fried pork.
The English seem to squeeze oranges when they are green...
The tea is wonderful.
The coffee is fail, lots of fail.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Nikki

How would you describe the tea?

And May i ask if you happened to catch a glance at the ever-so-legendary crumpets?

(I don't know what those are still :C)

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

techmaster-glitch

"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! Y'gotta know what a crumpet is, to understand cricket!"

Gareeku

I take it the bacon and coffee you were getting was from restaurants. Bacon normally isn't the greatest thing to ever grace a menu, and I must admit, for some strange reason a lot of restaurants here don't know how to make a cup of coffee.

Alondro

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Does it? I must have missed those. Where would I go looking for them?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jer-oh-me

Great. Now I have twenty more reasons to goto England and London in particular. Love the list, that's hilarious. Must save monies!!!

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 16, 2008, 04:56:02 AM
Does it? I must have missed those. Where would I go looking for them?

Mainly in gravel pits and old factory basements, apparently.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Gareeku

Hmmm, I must check this out for myself, in that case.

Azlan

Sorry no Time Lords, they were all out.

Quote from: Gareeku on December 14, 2008, 06:00:51 AM
I take it the bacon and coffee you were getting was from restaurants. Bacon normally isn't the greatest thing to ever grace a menu, and I must admit, for some strange reason a lot of restaurants here don't know how to make a cup of coffee.

Well, Bacon is quite fine here in the States... but I suppose it is a matter of where one looks and knowing the lay of the land as it pertains to eating establishments. 

Most of the restaurants had little cappuccino machines, which produced a passable cup.  The bad stuff was from a couple of people we visited and a BB.

Oh, if anyone happens to pass through Hounslow, there is a nice Indian Restaurant called Mantra that I found quite good.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears