12/05/08 [Abel 2 #38] - Go home?

Started by Lego3400, December 05, 2008, 01:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Arcalane on December 05, 2008, 06:12:09 AM
Quote from: Dagardo on December 05, 2008, 01:09:31 AMAnd the bottom right corner of the same panel well you can see another... feature, if you will, that Devin doesn't possess.

Corrected~

I believe the word you are looking for is "boob". :B

I missed that feature (and the headwings) in the darkness. I guess I should consider a newer monitor, or perhaps adjust the GFX card's gamma some more so I can see more details in dark images.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Classical - Minnesota Public Radio (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Hmm.  I get the feeling Fa'Lina is not going to be particularly pleased with Destania over this.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dagardo

Quote from: Dagardo on December 05, 2008, 01:09:31 AMAnd the bottom right corner of the same panel well you can see another... feature, if you will, that Devin doesn't possess.

Corrected~

Why yes "boob" is the word I was "looking" for, I was just being polite.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 05, 2008, 12:59:35 PM
Hmm.  I get the feeling Fa'Lina is not going to be particularly pleased with Destania over this.

The question is, if Fa'Lina is so omniscient and powerful within the walls of SAIA, why would she allow Dee to do something she wouldn't like? Granted, her motives can be inscrutiable at times, but there has to be at least a tacit amount of permission if Dee didn't find some sort of invisible wall blocking her path.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 05, 2008, 01:02:26 PM
The question is, if Fa'Lina is so omniscient and powerful within the walls of SAIA, why would she allow Dee to do something she wouldn't like?
The force may not be too strong with Abel, since he's only just entered the Academy.

Naldru

As I see it, Destania is saying that fear is what is keeping Abel from going home, and that he should get rid of what is keeping him from going home.  Therefore, she is telling him to get rid of his fear.

If you look at 712 and  713 of the main strip, you will see that Destania was trying to get Abel to be able to cope with his life.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

thegayhare

Quote from: Elieana on December 05, 2008, 11:03:01 AM

You mean....:U An epiphany?!

"I just had an Apostrophe."
"You mean an epiphany"
"Lighting has just struck my brain"
"That must have hurt. "

MT Hazard

Quote from: Dagardo on December 05, 2008, 01:01:23 PM

Corrected~

Yes, there seems to be too much of that about

Example
Person One: making point while being trying to be polite/subtle
Person Two: Don't you meant blatant?
Person Three: blatant blatant
Person Four: blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

superluser

So I'm wondering why Destania shifted back.

She must want Abel to see her in her true form.

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 05, 2008, 04:24:57 PMYes, there seems to be too much of that about

I pride myself on being a public relations disaster.

Actually, I don't, but if I did, I'd be quite happy.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

AndersW

So it was Destania in his dreams, since he is clearly not awake.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 05, 2008, 05:32:41 PM
So I'm wondering why Destania shifted back.
She must want Abel to see her in her true form.

I don't believe that 'Cubi shapeshifting extends to making yourself translucent.  IMHO, it's more likely that Abel is sleeping and she's manipulating his dreams - in which case it doesn't matter what she looks like as long as he remains asleep.

AndersW

Ya, he is asleep.  In the last comic he is sitting up and talking to ghost Devin, and in this one he is lying down and mumbling in his sleep.

superluser

Quote from: AndersW on December 05, 2008, 05:39:44 PMYa, he is asleep.  In the last comic he is sitting up and talking to ghost Devin, and in this one he is lying down and mumbling in his sleep.

I figured he was in the fetal position and in the same state that he was in the previous strips.

Blasted montage metonymy!  Making me think that a setting with similar visual cues is an identical setting.

techmaster-glitch

My immediate reaction tot his comic:
HOOOO-LEEEEE SH*T.

This is because, of course, I recognized Destania right away. In regards to the quarantine, I would like to point out that it was specifically an emotional quarantine, which I would assume means nothing more than no emotions in or out, to prevent Abel's bad vibes from getting into the scool and from the tidal wave of the school's emotions slamming into him. Individuals, on the other hand, could come an go, but only with Fa'Lina's blessing. Unless Dee is actually powerful enough to be somewhat of a match for Fa'Lina (I'm talking about Dee being able to hide herself from Fa'Lina's sight), which I'm highly doubting, I can't see any way Dee could be in that room without Fa'Lina's knowledge or approval.

Now, assuming this is correct (which, I'll admit, is possible for it not to be), I am at a loss as to why Fa'Lina would be allowing this.

Lena

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm wondering now if this is going to tie into Abel's dislike of Destinia - if he found out that she was in his dream as Devin and manipulating him, etc. That would certainly color my opinion of someone, even if they were technically doing it 'for my own good'. Of course, this being Destinia, we have no idea at the moment why she's doing it, but still...

BarGamer

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 05, 2008, 12:59:35 PM

Abel said that "RIGHT NOW" he wants to be left alone. It is now "some time later." Fa'Lina's ability, and the fact that she is Destania's administrative superior, means that if Fa'Lina didn't want Destania to see Abel, she probably would have prevented it in any number of ways. It is very probable that by the events in Lost Lake, Destania and Abel have some sort of relationship, most likely positive. Maybe not "Hot for Teacher," but eh.

@Lena: Where did you get the impression that Abel dislikes Destania?

superluser

Quote from: BarGamer on December 05, 2008, 10:46:55 PM@Lena: Where did you get the impression that Abel dislikes Destania?

Probably here.

It doesn't necessarily mean that Abel dislikes her, but rather that Abel claims that she's evil.  Abel could, of course, be lying or like evil people.

BarGamer

Oh. Oops. I fail. Uh... Well, THIS sucks... Hrm...

Arcalane

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 05, 2008, 04:24:57 PM
Quote from: Dagardo on December 05, 2008, 01:01:23 PM

Corrected~

Yes, there seems to be too much of that about

Example
Person One: making point while being trying to be polite/subtle
Person Two: Don't you meant blatant?
Person Three: blatant blatant
Person Four: blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant

There is a time and place for subtlety. This is not it.

Are we so damn scared of offending people that we can't even say "boob" nowadays? Jeez, people.  :sweatdrop

King Of Hearts

whoah... this was just exactly what me and Zedd was talking about a month ago. I finally got a twist head on, go figure.

Howl

Quote from: Naldru on December 05, 2008, 01:34:20 PM
As I see it, Destania is saying that fear is what is keeping Abel from going home, and that he should get rid of what is keeping him from going home.  Therefore, she is telling him to get rid of his fear.

If you look at 712 and  713 of the main strip, you will see that Destania was trying to get Abel to be able to cope with his life.

That got me interested again.

Still, we are total *REDACTED* nerds.

Goatmon

Oh good, we get to wait another week to hear the rest of the [censored] sentence.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Naldru on December 05, 2008, 01:34:20 PM

Among other things. I'm wondering now just what kind of "vested interest" Abel was (at the time) to Destania. Did we just get the beginnings of a clue?

"Perhaps you need to find a way to get rid of what is in your way."

Did Destania teach all her students how to fight in her own style like she did with Abel? We know she has some connection with Aniz. Does she like him even less than Fa'Lina? With fewer "politics" reasons holding her back?
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Goatmon on December 06, 2008, 07:08:14 AM
Oh good, we get to wait another week to hear the rest of the [censored] sentence.

PG rating, Goatmon. You're on the wrong side of the line.

And if you're that upset about it, why bother reading it? Or posting?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ghostwish

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 06, 2008, 08:17:07 AM
Quote from: Goatmon on December 06, 2008, 07:08:14 AM

PG rating, Goatmon. You're on the wrong side of the line.

And if you're that upset about it, why bother reading it? Or posting?

Masochism, me finks. I has it too. Webcomics have this real nasty habit of leaving you hanging on for that one last little bit, even though you know it's just going to lead to another bit, and another bit, and another-.. geezus, I need help.

But I do love the way Mrs. Williams' work has a way of wrapping back on itself. I keep paging through the archives, and seeing more and more clues.

Goatmon

Yes, I posted a swear word.  In a FA-Teen thread.  Because sometimes adults throw in a swear word.  I do read the rules, llearch.

Quote from: AmberRating:This particular forum section is rated around PG to Fa-Teen.  Mainly because the comic itself is rated PG, and Abel's Story is Fa-Teen.

Keep in mind I am not going to go cyber-nanny on you guys and slap your hands if you post an occasional swear word or make a joke laden with innuendo.  All I really ask is that people post with common sense.  As long as not every other post is swearing or sex jokes, I'm likely not going to care.  The trick is moderation.

I will ocassionally post swear words, within the appropriate forum, because there is no particular reason not to, other than you have a personal problem with it, but can't be bothered to bring it up without hovering your Mod powers over my head.  You're basically doing exactly what Amber says will NOT happen around here.  And that ain't cool.

Also, who said I didn't like the comic?  I just have a growing problem with the pacing, and I wouldn't expect any artist to be offended because someone has a negative criticism about their work.  Criticism, good or bad, is fuel for the fire.  I wouldn't ask any less of anyone looking at the stuff I've made.  Is that really a problem?

Turnsky

Quote from: Goatmon on December 07, 2008, 01:13:13 AM
Yes, I posted a swear word.  In a FA-Teen thread.  Because sometimes adults throw in a swear word.  I do read the rules, llearch.

Quote from: AmberRating:This particular forum section is rated around PG to Fa-Teen.  Mainly because the comic itself is rated PG, and Abel's Story is Fa-Teen.

Keep in mind I am not going to go cyber-nanny on you guys and slap your hands if you post an occasional swear word or make a joke laden with innuendo.  All I really ask is that people post with common sense.  As long as not every other post is swearing or sex jokes, I'm likely not going to care.  The trick is moderation.

I will ocassionally post swear words, within the appropriate forum, because there is no particular reason not to, other than you have a personal problem with it, but can't be bothered to bring it up without hovering your Mod powers over my head.  You're basically doing exactly what Amber says will NOT happen around here.  And that ain't cool.

Also, who said I didn't like the comic?  I just have a growing problem with the pacing, and I wouldn't expect any artist to be offended because someone has a negative criticism about their work.  Criticism, good or bad, is fuel for the fire.  I wouldn't ask any less of anyone looking at the stuff I've made.  Is that really a problem?

it's not that hard to not swear, you know, all it takes is a reasonable command of the english language, really.
as for the comic, it's called a cliffhanger, they keep us waiting for more, it's a common thing in comics.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

thegayhare

Quote from: Goatmon on December 07, 2008, 01:13:13 AM
without hovering your Mod powers

sorry to interupt but at the phrase "Mod Powers"  I got this mental image of Llearch, Dmoon, Dmariss, and the other mods sitting crashing the big goofy rings together while shouting "Mod Powers Activate... form of a bucket of water..."

Naldru

Or for people who won't listen: "Mod Powers Activate ... form of a barrel of boiling oil".
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Ghostwish

Gay Hare, Naldru, I hate you both. You see, I like my orange soda, but not when it's COMING OUT OF MY NOSE!!  :mowhappy