Experimenting with Oil Brushes

Started by Fizzbit, July 11, 2006, 11:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizzbit

I got Corel Painter IX.5 a couple of weeks ago while I was on vacation and got around to installing it yesterday. It comes with tutorials and among them is an Artists' Oils tutorial, so I checked it out and decided to put it to use.

The picture itself is an old one, but I love how the coloring turned out. :3 Y'know, for my first digital oil painting and such. Background is done with watercolor tools.

Full picture found Here.

Kio

Wow....that is so awesome..... I am so jealous...

Zina

Oooh, I like the prespective.
Very awesome job for your first time doing digital painting. Can't wait to see more of your stuff. X3

Fizzbit

Oh no, this isn't my first time doing digital painting. I do digital art all the time. It's my first time doing Digital OIL Painting. ;)

I have some more pictures posted all over the Tower of Art, and hopefully I'll get around to posting more in the future before school starts again.

Paladin Sheppard

Would that be a cleric or preist with a staff Clara? I love the colouring you've used.

King Of Hearts

I love the way you did her face, The colors themselves making the lines that define it.

Zina

Quote from: Clara E. Leet on July 12, 2006, 12:29:39 AM
Oh no, this isn't my first time doing digital painting. I do digital art all the time. It's my first time doing Digital OIL Painting. ;)

I have some more pictures posted all over the Tower of Art, and hopefully I'll get around to posting more in the future before school starts again.

Curses. It's been revealed I can't read. My seeecret. D:
Regardless, I still think it looks spiffy. X3

Fizzbit

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on July 12, 2006, 12:33:49 AM
Would that be a cleric or preist with a staff Clara? I love the colouring you've used.

She's a witch/magic caster, actually o.o

xHaZxMaTx

Fizzbit

Gornemant

Suwako

I give it a 9 out of 10  :mowhappy  (yo incourage you to improve  :mowwink)

Fizzbit

Yes, I do plan to expand more on the Digital oils category of my Painter program :D

Wildy

Can you explain to me what a Digital Oil is? Or digital Oil Painting.. I've never heard of it before and it puzzles me a bit. Though I think it came out very nice. Not sure what to look for as far as the medium (Digital Oil) Because I know with brush and canvas oil you can see smooth blending and sometimes texture. Etc. Thus why I am asking what a Digital Oil is.

Boy that sounds repetitive...

Shadrok

Nice art, I like the shading

Quote from: Wildy on July 13, 2006, 03:45:47 PM
Can you explain to me what a Digital Oil is? Or digital Oil Painting.. I've never heard of it before and it puzzles me a bit. Though I think it came out very nice. Not sure what to look for as far as the medium (Digital Oil) Because I know with brush and canvas oil you can see smooth blending and sometimes texture. Etc. Thus why I am asking what a Digital Oil is.

If I'm not mistaken "Digital Oil" is the use of a painting program, such as Painter, to create a digital picture that has the appearance like that of an actual oil painting.

Fizzbit

Quote from: Wildy on July 13, 2006, 03:45:47 PM

In Corel Painter IX and IX.5 there is a special brush called Artists Oils which simulates the appearance, texture, and attitude of real oils. There is a plain Oils brush but it does not simulate real oils as well. Artists oils actually mix with each other on the screen as you brush and the colors "contaminate" one another, just as with a real canvas.

Painter IX is a very good program for simulating real brushes. It has watercolors, chalk, charcoal, pencils, conte, pastels, and even acrylics. Very very neat program.

Wildy

Took me a while to get back to this thread. That does sound pretty darn nifty. Is this a corel specific thing or would Photoshop perhaps have something similar? Its been quite some time since I actually messed around with the graphics programs.

Fizzbit

While you can mess around with the Opacity and Flow on Photoshop to get brushes that have a feel like certain mediums, Corel is the only program I know of that feels like, acts like, and looks like the brush mediums it uses. I find that if I want a more traditional feel to my art, I use Corel, but if I want a little bit more contemporary and digital look, I use Photoshop CS2. Both are good programs for what they do, but I love Corel for its traditional brushes.

Corel also simulates paper textures without adding them later. You can start a picture, choose a paper texture, and start drawing. You can even have different paper textures in the same layer! It's very handy.

Someday I'll post up a sample sheet of some of Corel's paper textures and brushes to show everyone what I mean.

Wildy

So, do you take an empty file and just start from there in the program, or do you sometimes use a scan to go off of?

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Fizzbit

Quote from: Wildy on July 16, 2006, 03:24:08 PM
So, do you take an empty file and just start from there in the program, or do you sometimes use a scan to go off of?

It depends. Sometimes I'll draw a picture in my sketchbook, scan it, and color/modify it from there. Other times I'll start from scratch in the program itself.

Nikki

Quote from: Clara E. Leet on July 16, 2006, 07:41:19 PM
Quote from: Wildy on July 16, 2006, 03:24:08 PM

It depends. Sometimes I'll draw a picture in my sketchbook, scan it, and color/modify it from there. Other times I'll start from scratch in the program itself.
i wish i could do that...all I can do is draw and scan XD

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Nikki

might i add that yer Avi is brilliant? =3

Fizzbit

Slash

Pretty cool! I love how it looks

She seem to be summoning some bubble/water attack or something.

Is she wearing a plate or is that a gray shirt?

Congrats!