Some questions for Amber....

Started by Vuanaunt, December 09, 2008, 06:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vuanaunt

I'm writing an essay (http://www.indianadollarsforscholars.org/hh_about.php) about someone inspirational from Indiana.

I've written most of the essay, but my knowledge of Amber's time in Indiana is really limited (http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_Bonus014.php), I figured I should probably find out some more. Since the essay is about people from Indiana, sponsored by Indiana, for Students.... blah blah I hope you can see where I was going with that.

Anyways...

Is there anyway to get in contact with Amber? I've tried Email, Her FAQ says PM's are just as effective, and while browsing some of the newer threads, I've heard she doesn't check these forums that often...

I promise my essay is better written than this!

Edit 2: Removed some questions, I realised that it was rather rude to ask about personal thing on public like that... still, I'd like to know if there is a way to contact Amber...

Corgatha Taldorthar

Hello, it's nice to meet new people on the forum, even if they don't post in the introduction thread. "Welcome To The Forum, And Have A Nice Day!" and all that. Anyway, I just wandered  in to say that I don't know much, and the people who do will almost certianly either plead ignorance or just flat out yell at you for asking. I'm going to apologize in advance if this next part sounds rude or offensive.

I would really recommend not asking about forumites, especially really really important forumites personal lives on an open shout like this. If you really feel the need to do so, I would at least try to integrate myself into the community beforehand. If you do this as your first post, you look like a cheap opportunist trying to suck data from this group.

*looks at stopwatch to see how long it will take*
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Faerie Alex

For whatever it's worth, you might want to check out Amber's interview with Crush Yiff Destroy over in this direction. It's a few years old, but you could probably still get something from it.

(Edit for spelling.)
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Tapewolf

Amber's not having the best time of her life right now, so her attention is (sensibly) concentrated on more important matters, like making sure she's able to remain in Canada.  She has been visiting the forum occasionally, but isn't spending a great deal of time here at the moment.

I've 'only' been reading DMFA since mid 2005, but I can probably answer some of your more 'general knowledge' questions from my own understanding - which may not be 100% accurate, mark you.

From the copyright notices in the early strips, DMFA has been running since 1999, but with a break of about one year around strip 73, during which the series nearly died an early death.  I don't remember what persuaded Amber to return to it but return she did, and as far as I know it's been running pretty steadily ever since.

As for 'going professional', that has two meanings to me:
1. Selling DMFA
2. Becoming a professional cartoonist.

For '1', I used to wonder that myself until I began to record albums and people asked me why I don't sell them.  Basically, getting a comic (or CD) duplicated like that has a high up-front cost, which she would find difficult to afford, and there's no guarantee she'd make it all back.  She'd also have to find some channel to sell them through... basically, it's a lot of expense and a lot of effort for an uncertain return.
This is made more complicated by the fact that the original high-res versions weren't being archived until about September 2005, and 9 months later even those were destroyed in a disk crash.  To make things yet worse, the original strips up to about 700 have mostly been sold off via auction and would be difficult to reassemble.
However, Amber has pondered selling Abel's Story, all of which still exists in B&W and would require only about 30 or so strips to be recoloured (as opposed to 500-odd strips for DMFA mainline).

As for '2', I wouldn't know.  But I suspect it's a very difficult job market to break into.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.  Make sure you read the rules...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Vuanaunt

Quote from: modelincard on December 09, 2008, 06:48:26 PM
For whatever it's worth, you might want to chech out Amber's interview with Crush Yiff Destroy over in this direction. It's a few years old, but you could probably still get something from it.
Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.
Edit: I checked it out, and it answered about half of what I was going to ask.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 09, 2008, 06:56:35 PM
Amber's not having the best time of her life right now, so her attention is (sensibly) concentrated on more important matters, like making sure she's able to remain in Canada.  She has been visiting the forum occasionally, but isn't spending a great deal of time here at the moment.
I Understand that she's not at her best, but I'm not going to into details, maybe 4ish questions (2ish now). Btw I'm glad no one was hurt in the crash, If there is such a thing as a good crash...

As for 'going professional', that has two meanings to me:
1. Selling DMFA
2. Becoming a professional cartoonist.

As for '2', I wouldn't know.  But I suspect it's a very difficult job market to break into.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.  Make sure you read the rules...
Yeah that's my guesses on why a lot web comics don't go "profession", that and deadlines. Still my teacher insisted. Thanks for the welcome.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 09, 2008, 06:47:01 PM
... I'm going to apologize in advance if this next part sounds rude or offensive.

I would really recommend not asking about forumites, especially really really important forumites personal lives on an open shout like this. If you really feel the need to do so, I would at least try to integrate myself into the community beforehand. If you do this as your first post, you look like a cheap opportunist trying to suck data from this group.

*looks at stopwatch to see how long it will take*
Thanks for heads up about how I was being rude (I was unaware), so I changed (mostly) what I was asking. You were blunt, but It was the best way to say it.

Sofox

Hey, if he's asking Amber questions, I want to ask some too!

Here they are, Amber:

1) What's up? Seriously, I keep mixing that up with down.
2) How would you compare yourself to a cucumber sandwich?
3) Have you ever looked back at a comic you created and said "I should have included more gooseberries."
4) If no one ever knows what they're meant to do with their life, how can they ever know they've wasted it?
5) Why are you reading this?
6) What would Dan do in a hypothetical situation?
7) Pineapple trees are more interesting the banana trees. Discuss.
8) Are you planning to make a DMFA themed air hockey table? Or a Mab themed space shuttle?
9) What is the best answer to this question?
11) I have to know about Abel, why is his favourite colour is green?
12) If you could have anything in the world, would you still answer this question?
13) Are you superstitious?
14) Actually, forget that last question.

Vuanaunt

Quote from: Sofox on December 09, 2008, 08:57:58 PM
Hey, if he's asking Amber questions, I want to ask some too!

Actually (at this point), I'm just want to ask her (as in a PM, Email, or one of the messengers...) some questions about when she was in Indiana, for this one essay I'm typing about her.

'Since the essay is about people from Indiana, sponsored by Indiana, for students in Indiana....' having some information about her life here might improve the essay's chance...

This thread isn't about asking the questions, It's about getting in contact with Amber... without hiring a bounty hunter Private Eye.

llearch n'n'daCorna

If you drop her an email, that'd probably be as best as you're able to do.

No guarantees about responses, and it would depend on how fast you really need the answers.

BTW, you know that the author of CVRPG lives in Indiana, as well, right? You could always ask him...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Vuanaunt

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 10, 2008, 03:43:42 AM
If you drop her an email, that'd probably be as best as you're able to do.

No guarantees about responses, and it would depend on how fast you really need the answers.

BTW, you know that the author of CVRPG lives in Indiana, as well, right? You could always ask him...
I've tried the email thing, a while ago... no response yet, Hopefully she'll respond within a month or so....

I figured the author of CVRPG would have lived in IN at some point, being Amber's brother and whatnot; Despite that I've stressed the Indiana part of this, it's about inspirational people, and I haven't really read CVRPG, so all I know about him is that he makes a sprite comic....

Worst case scenarios I either ask him about it, or just skip over it.

Thanks for the advice though.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm sure Darkmoon would like it if you talked to him.

He's such a lonely chap, and all... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Damaris

Zip the questions over to me via PM.  I'll see what I can do.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber