Hey Amber - A Deal for You

Started by Rafe, November 19, 2008, 10:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe

Re your trip.  Gas is cheap here where I live.  Right now it's $1.69 a gallon, which is like half what it costs up north.  That mean if you drive past my place you could get gas and still have enough left to buy me dinner. 

...Just a suggestion. 
Rafe

Turnsky

psst, Amber's avoiding the forums like the plague.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Rafe

That's okay.  She generally avoids me as well.

Well see.  Not seeing this message will cause unnececssary financial hardship.  Let's hope it reaches her in time.  If not, I can mock her later for her forum-avoiding tendencies.
Rafe

Darkmoon

And she'll find cheap gas down here as well, when she's visiting. 1.62 over by my house.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Jairus

Gas isn't that cheap here. It just dropped to 2.07 this afternoon. I haven't seen prices that low since before Hurricane Katrina. It was like 3.37 two months ago. Yes, you can start laughing at us out here in California now. Or continue.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Turnsky

of course she could get free gas, all she'd need is a prybar and a length of hose.  >:3

superluser

Quote from: Turnsky on November 19, 2008, 11:50:50 PMof course she could get free gas, all she'd need is a prybar and a length of hose.  >:3

Yeah, I think I mentioned that that happened to me, once.  I bought a locking gas cap after that.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

AmigaDragon

A locking gas cap won't stop a prybar. A determined thief will get what they want.

Gas up here on the MN/Canada border dropped last week to $1.99.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

superluser

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 20, 2008, 12:48:39 AMA locking gas cap won't stop a prybar. A determined thief will get what they want.

Similarly, The Club® will not prevent thieves from cutting your steering wheel and stealing your car.

But it might make the thief more likely to steal the car next to it which does not have The Club®.

At any rate, the car I had at the time did not have a latch on the gas tank cover, so no prybar was needed.  I now have a car that has a latching gas tank cover.

Chaos

Interesting enough, the price of gas here is just a little higher than in Toronto, about 79 something a liter.

MATH TIME!

Edit:
HOLY CRAP!

56.06 per liter! That's after currency conversion!

Someone double check my math please

1 US$ = 1.2555 Canada
1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liter

Edit 2:
  There's a "modify" button for a reason, Chaos. Don't make me do this again.
    -- llearch n'n'daCorna

llearch n'n'daCorna

169 * 1.2555 ~= 212 Canadian cents / gallon.
~212 / 3.78541178 ~= 56.05 Canadian cents per liter

So, yes, Darkmoon is paying 56 Canadian cents per liter for his gas.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: Chaos on November 20, 2008, 02:14:01 AM1 US$ = 1.2555 Canada

Darn.  Now I can't do my ``Wow!  You know how much these are worth'' when I find a Canadian coin anymore.

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 20, 2008, 02:32:06 AM

currently we're paying 130.9 australian cents per liter

llearch n'n'daCorna

... and we're paying 273.8 australian cents per liter. According to the article in the paper I saw over someone's shoulder yesterday.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

This was a much more drastic drop in price than any of the raises, dropping from near $4/G to under $2/G in just a few months. Though the diesel should have come down just as much. I remember a couple years ago that it was sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less per gallon than gas. now it's over $1/G more... at least here in northern Minnesota.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Nazz - Lemming Song (Demo) (SonicBlu's Time Machine Show - KWKAT)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Victoire Épique

Quote from: Turnsky on November 20, 2008, 03:00:56 AM

...It's actually gotten down to about 100 Australian cents per litre where I am. We haven't had these prices since before Bush was re-elected.

What is this, cheapest gas wars?

Jairus

Quote from: Victoire Épique on November 20, 2008, 04:52:34 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on November 20, 2008, 03:00:56 AM

...It's actually gotten down to about 100 Australian cents per litre where I am. We haven't had these prices since before Bush was re-elected.

What is this, cheapest gas wars?

No... this is...

PETROL COMBAT!!! *cue awesome theme song*

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Darkmoon

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 20, 2008, 03:16:11 AM
This was a much more drastic drop in price than any of the raises, dropping from near $4/G to under $2/G in just a few months. Though the diesel should have come down just as much. I remember a couple years ago that it was sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less per gallon than gas. now it's over $1/G more... at least here in northern Minnesota.

Yeah, here in Indiana it got up to $4.30ish at its peak, so it's dropped close to $3.00 since the peak.

As a comment, though, diesel prices are based on differing economic factors than gasoline, since diesel powers trucks, and trucks are a part of the commerce sector.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Goatmon

Quote from: Jairus on November 19, 2008, 11:36:11 PM
Gas isn't that cheap here. It just dropped to 2.07 this afternoon. I haven't seen prices that low since before Hurricane Katrina. It was like 3.37 two months ago. Yes, you can start laughing at us out here in California now. Or continue.

We're lucky that it's barely dropped back below $4 here in Southern California.

:U

Slowtini

It's down to $1.85 or so where I live.

Which...
Kinda makes me regret filling my tank two weeks ago.
xD

DarkAudit

To sort of sidetrack this thread...

Cars can be fixed. Repeatedly.

At some point yesterday morning, my cat apparently fell off the back of the chair she was sleeping on. By midday she couldn't walk. A trip to the vet revealed she had broken one of her rear legs. Stayed overnight and will have surgery today, and hopefully come home tomorrow.

She's 21. Yes, really. Her mother lived well into her 20s also.

So Amber, it's not really as bad as all that.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

AmigaDragon

A few years ago, Grandma's cat had a broken leg (rear thigh). No visit to the vet (30 miles away plus an additional overnight or two 100 miles away at the main veterinary hospital for the area). The bone fused back together eventually (side to side, not end to end) and he doesn't even have a limp now. Sometimes just letting nature take its course works.

A couple days ago, our strays outside lost a couple late-season kittens to the cold (or whatever). At least there's still 4-5 cats roaming around out there controlling the mice and other rodents around the house.
That's life.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Francois Boieldieu - Harp Concerto (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes

Naldru

Quote from: Darkmoon on November 20, 2008, 07:05:32 AM
As a comment, though, diesel prices are based on differing economic factors than gasoline, since diesel powers trucks, and trucks are a part of the commerce sector.
You also have the issue that catalytic crackers and reformers are able to convert gasoline into diesel fuel and vice versa.  Before the reformers, the refineries put out more diesel that was needed, and this pushed down the diesel fuel and aviation fuel prices.  I suspect that rising gasoline prices caused more reformers to go online, reducing the amount of diesel produced.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.