Worst clichés ever?

Started by Jack McSlay, October 10, 2008, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

Quote from: Valynth on October 13, 2008, 03:07:40 AM

And if that were true, there would be NO happy endings.

Fact is, there's something you left out of your logic there and that is:  Only those who you LET impact your free will CAN impact your free will (a choice in and of itself).  Just because a government punishes you for it, doesn't mean you comply with the government as the story goes.

ah, but the important thing here is /choice/ however, there are some things that one must do, that they cannot choose to do, inversely, one can choose to do them, then live with the repercussions, which may not be a choice in its own right.

and there are no Happy endings, strictly speaking, you're forgetting that the end hasn't come yet.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

LionHeart

One that annoys me: "Based on a True Story".

When I see this in a movie, I know that the true story (assuming there ever was one) was one of the first things to be discarded in the writing of the script.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Lysander

I agree. You cans say most any movie is based on some radom true story such that something that happened in life gave the person an idea for part of the movie. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for example was pretty much only based on the true story by having a chainsaw used, but in reality it wasn't used to kill the people.

Something that is very vexing in so many movies and games is how in battles whenever someone gets a most excellent surprise attack which could easily produce a win, that person screams random nonsense and gives himself away to possibly loose the fight. Sure some things are more interesting with a real battle, but they don't have to start off in such a pathetic way.

Another thing about fights, oftentimes when a hero is still fighting solo the fight is almost always won, sometimes by that hero nearly dying. Once that hero gets a partner in combat the hero suddenly can't fight as well and would die over and over would it not be for the partner to come and protect from the finishing blows. 

And just for fun I wouldn't mind seeing something where the world does get destroyed. Even if it's not the real ending, Shadow the Hedgehog does pretty well on that.  :januscat
TytajLucheek

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Lysander on October 13, 2008, 10:32:48 AMAnd just for fun I wouldn't mind seeing something where the world does get destroyed. Even if it's not the real ending, Shadow the Hedgehog does pretty well on that.  :januscat
Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Anyway, I find it pretty weird when - specially on animes or japanese games - there is a male hero, a cute girl, and a blazing hot chick, and in the end the hero gets the cute girl and the hot chick ends up single
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

superluser

Quote from: Jack McSlay on October 13, 2008, 06:56:26 PMAnyway, I find it pretty weird when - specially on animes or japanese games - there is a male hero, a cute girl, and a blazing hot chick, and in the end the hero gets the cute girl and the hot chick ends up single

Hey--you're right!

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Lysander

Quote from: Jack McSlay on October 13, 2008, 06:56:26 PM
Quote from: Lysander on October 13, 2008, 10:32:48 AMAnd just for fun I wouldn't mind seeing something where the world does get destroyed. Even if it's not the real ending, Shadow the Hedgehog does pretty well on that.  :januscat
Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Anyway, I find it pretty weird when - specially on animes or japanese games - there is a male hero, a cute girl, and a blazing hot chick, and in the end the hero gets the cute girl and the hot chick ends up single
Oh you're right. I was thinking too much on those very strange end of series episodes and forgot the movies somehow... Great series.     :januscat
TytajLucheek

Tapewolf

Wolves go around singly and always attack people on sight, especially in computer games.  The only one I can think of which has properly-modelled wolves is Simon the Sorcerer which has some truly beautiful scenery, complete with wildlife.

Oh, and Lazarus, but I had to fix the wolf control logic myself.

EDIT:
Oblivion's Natural Wildlife mod makes things better in that game, but it still doesn't have predator-prey relationships like Ultima 6 did...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jack McSlay

I just remembered that enemies that are clones of the heroes with swapped palletes have been done to death and beyond...
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

rabid_fox

"Finding strength in trauma". Oh, piss off.

Oh dear.

Alondro

Quote from: rabid_fox on October 15, 2008, 08:39:17 PM

"Finding strength in trauma". Oh, piss off.

But it works..

There was this time these guys followed me into the woods to beat me up because they thougth I was just a weak nerd, and I was kinda having trouble when they all piled on top of me.  It was quite a lot of weight.  Then they broke my glasses.  Those prescription eyeglasses cost me over $100!  It was traumatizing to realize I'd have to buy new ones.

It triggered the most dangerous thing you can possibly trigger in me:  Rage of the Miser.

They never bothered me again after I was through with them.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif