The wrath of Gustav

Started by Ryudo Lee, September 01, 2008, 08:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryudo Lee

For those who aren't aware, hurricane Gustav is making his merry way to my area right now.  As we've always done with every hurricane before, we're staying home.  We're in a good spot, uphill, near a levee that didn't break during Katrina, and where a handful of cops are known to live.  So we won't get too much damage from the storm or looters.  We lost power about an hour ago, but we've still got water and gas, and cell phone reception is still up and running since I'm able to get some internets with my Sprint mobile broadband.  The eye is still expected to make landfall this afternoon to the west of my area, so it won't be that bad.  But you never know with these things.  It could turn at the very last second.  I will try and keep everyone updated as much as I can.  Here's hoping for the best.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - good luck, because it sounds like you may need it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Agreed. Be careful and stay safe, dude.

Ryudo Lee

Well only a few people on my street actually left.  There were several of us sitting on our front porches watching the wind and rain.  It wasn't all that bad.  We got wind and rain, but not much else.  We lost power this morning and we should get services restored sometime tomorrow.  They've been turning lights back on all around us so it's only a matter of time before we get ours back.  Parishes to the south of us weren't so lucky though.  So your thoughts and prayers should go out to those people.

Yugo

Good luck and be safe, Ryudo.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Mao

Take care man.  I hope everything is alright.

Lysander

Exciting times aren't always the best times. Good luck to you, prayers are with you.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Ryudo Lee

Thanks everyone.  The worst is over now.  We just have to deal with a few more days of rain, just our usual weather patterns clashing with the hurricane's remnants.  There were a few tornado's that touched down here and there.  It doesn't look like anyone got hurt though.  I'm still waiting to get power.  It seems that Entergy, <sarcasm>in all their wisdom</sarcasm> didn't even know that we were without power.  Sigh.  But I go back to work on friday, and there's supposed to be an assessment of my workplace on thursday, which I might get called in to help with.

Jairus

Well, I'm glad that everyone seemed to make it through OK. I'm glad to here that. And hey, look on the bright side: it could have been a lot worse. Anyway, glad to here you're safe, and good luck getting everything up and running again.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me