Corporal punishment returns

Started by Ryudo Lee, July 25, 2008, 09:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on July 28, 2008, 03:09:00 PM
Well sometimes bad parents get sent to jail for being abusive.  Unfortunately, you also get the ones who'll use fear to keep their kids from talking.  "Fell down the stairs" my left foot...

*Charles falls down the stairs alot...*  The stairs, uhm, have fangs and claws...  *phears the lioness*  :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Eibborn

...Kids aren't generally idiots. If you tell a child that violence is the wrong way to solve problems, then carry on to spank him, you are telling him that violence is wrong... unless it's inconvenient. Or maybe that it's justified when you're mad enough. Not good messages to send!

But then, I was raised with the message, 'violence is wrong,' and was spanked on a few occasions, and I guess I turned out alright. I still can't shake the feeling that hitting children is innately wrong.

I'm lucky enough that I was raised somewhere where people aren't INSANE prone to violence, as in Alondro's example. At that point, it sounds more like a job for security / the police than for teachers, though.
/kicks the internet over

Goatmon

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on July 25, 2008, 09:41:11 AMThere are two things that I fully support for schools: mandatory drug testing, and corporal punishment.  In fact, let's step it up a bit.  Public corporal punishment.  There's only one thing worse than getting paddled.  And that's getting paddled in front of the whole school.  I guarantee you, if you whup a kid in front of the entire student body, he or she will never do what they did again. 

I mostly agree with you, except for the public humiliation.

Paddling (essentially spanking) in a controlled environment seems efficient, but making it into public humiliation is something that really should only be reserved for severe offenses, if it were used at all.