Haz's 3D Modelling Thread (Anybody got some 3D glasses?)

Started by xHaZxMaTx, July 09, 2006, 02:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikki

heck yes. but i want to soooo bad! i LOVE that engine!!

and the story makes me sad :<

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

xHaZxMaTx

Nikki

*GASP* You've never read/heard the story of engine 4005!!??

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

xHaZxMaTx

Oh, I didn't realise you were talking about a specific engine.  But I havn't heard anyway.

Nikki

xHaZxMaTx

ElectroMotive

A UP Big boy at 50 hits a switch and flies off the rails... I've seen worse.

xHaZxMaTx

ElectroMotive

nope i'm not. That was just one engine and a few freight cars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbone_Street_Disaster

The Malbone street wreck was worse.

I have respect for the people that died. which were the engineer and the fireman and some pigs. I'm just saying that there were a lot more train wrecks that were worse than that one.

Gareeku

Quote from: ElectroMotiveDiesels on July 19, 2006, 12:42:57 PM
nope i'm not. That was just one engine and a few cars.

People died because of that crash. Show some fucking respect.

xHaZxMaTx

You can flame at me for posting such a minor update if you like.

Pretty much the only thing that is different is the color and the new front bumper, which was a bugger to finally get a design that looked descent.

I may have mentioned this before, too lazy to check, but I entered this model in the California State Fair contest, but was disqualified for 'inadmissable dimensions.'  Someone in my class my a much less detailed car in the same program and ended up getting 3rd.  If I weren't disqualified, I'm almost sure I would have taken 1st.

Front View

Rear View

Left Side View

Top View

Front Quarter View

Rear Quarter View

Cool Action Shot

Good Shot Of New Front Bumper

xHaZxMaTx

I started on a new model, can you guess what it is? :P

Shadrok

*looks at the car's cab*

Seems to be too much geometry there.
You mite want to keep an eye out for that because the more geometry a model has the larger the file.

Does your program store Object History ( a history of what you've done to an object), because it can also take up a large portion of a file's size as well.

:bunny Example :bunny

A 1cm x 1cm square file size 50KB

A 1cm x 1cm square file size 61KB

Arcalane

Quote from: Shadrok on September 04, 2006, 10:21:57 PM
*looks at the car's cab*

Seems to be too much geometry there.
You mite want to keep an eye out for that because the more geometry a model has the larger the file.

I'd say too little. Going by the wireframing on the front of it, it seems rather stretched and will probably end up looking a bit ugly - or it would if you were using something other than a glassy effect.

Also; 11kb more is very little. I can understand there being more as time goes on, but 11kb is peanuts.

Shadrok

Quote from: Sheridan on September 04, 2006, 10:26:49 PM
I'd say too little. Going by the wireframing on the front of it, it seems rather stretched and will probably end up looking a bit ugly - or it would if you were using something other than a glassy effect.

Also; 11kb more is very little. I can understand there being more as time goes on, but 11kb is peanuts.

I was only trying to illustrate how unneeded edges add geometry and increase file size, not trying to say the over all model didn't need more geometry only less useless edges.

xHaZxMaTx

Well the cockpit is comprised of triangles, not rectangles.  So if I got rid of all the 'useless' geometry, I'd have a bunch of lines, but no material.  But I took into account what Sheridan said about the 'stretched' polygons, and cut some of them on the cockpit and other places in half.

xHaZxMaTx

I just got my hands on 3DS Viz, so expect some more updates soon. :D

Zedd

xHaZxMaTx

The first thing I rendered...

It looks pretty dull, right?  A bottle of water?  Well that bottle of water took about 5 minutes to render. :P

Zedd

Aridas

Haz: Buy a $2000 video card! They make those, and they're juuuust for that! no, not water bottles. rendering and fotoshop. fast. at the cost of your soul.

xHaZxMaTx

What, you mean like this? :rolleyes  Yeah, my 6600GT's doing fine, thanks. ;)

Quote from: Zedd on October 01, 2006, 05:02:12 AM
What program you use?
Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on September 30, 2006, 05:17:50 PM
I just got my hands on 3DS Viz, so expect some more updates soon. :D

Aridas

xHaZxMaTx

That's very inticing, but I'm not made of money.  Plus, if I got a workstation card, I wouldn't be able to play mah games! :<

Aridas

Maybe you'd be able to set it up to use one or the other >.>

Still... Get it, live out on the streets. Be the 3D Hobo!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 01, 2006, 05:41:39 AM
Haz: Buy a $2000 video card! They make those, and they're juuuust for that! no, not water bottles. rendering and fotoshop. fast. at the cost of your soul.

Not quite.  As far as I'm aware, modern video cards still do not provide hardware support for radiosity, volumetric lighting, photon-mapping and so forth - this is still only available in software renderers.  Even if they did it wouldn't help since the techniques are still being developed.
They're extremely computationally intensive, so we're talking minutes per frame on modern hardware, hours per frame for broadcast quality rendering (and that's on a cluster, I think you'll find).
That 80 DSP-core chip Intel was bragging about the other day should help though :)

What he really needs is to build or rent some time on a rendering farm if he wants it done quick :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

I'll map your photons, buddy... *shakes fist*

Zedd

http://www.worth1000.com/emailthis.asp?entry=306278 Not sure if you will like this...

Aridas

I'm not sure what that even has to do with this thread...

xHaZxMaTx

It's so sexy in black! :O