New search engine

Started by Tapewolf, July 28, 2008, 06:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Slashdot is covering a new search engine called 'cuil', supposedly pronounced 'cool'.  Allegedly it is able to index three times as many pages as Google.
Just out of interest, I did a search for "DMFA", mainly to see the rankings.  Attached is a screenshot of the results:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/cuil_dmfa.png
...all I can say is that their image-matching algorithm needs a bit more work.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dannysaysnoo

Suwako

:O

Dutch languaged results.

I hate it.  :<

and the images phail  >:3

[/childish behavior]

After throwing a few things at it, it does preform but sometimes it preforms not as well as google and other times it gets more results, I would say it is just another search engine.

It also shows up a lot of bogus that is in japanese or something.
seems to be better at finding single words than sentences.

typing in 'darkmoon' gives me lots.
typing 'darkmoon clockworkmansion' gives me nothing.

(and no, I did not use darkmoon the first time. )

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aiyno on July 28, 2008, 07:14:29 AM
Dutch languaged results.
Do you mean that it does this when you don't want it to, or it doesn't do it at all?

Quoteseems to be better at finding single words than sentences.
typing in 'darkmoon' gives me lots.
typing 'darkmoon clockworkmansion' gives me nothing.
Yes.  It utterly failed on "studer a807", whereas 'studer' returns all kinds of cruft.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Brunhidden

on a not very related note SAIA really exists, its a trucking company.... or rather its disguised AS a trucking company....
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Suwako

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 28, 2008, 08:18:00 AM
Quote from: Aiyno on July 28, 2008, 07:14:29 AM
Dutch languaged results.
Do you mean that it does this when you don't want it to, or it doesn't do it at all?

Your own search resulted in results with the dutch language, the bottom two results on the right.
I was somewhat in a joking mood and meant nothing from it. (you hear that you fellow dutch people who are language activist?)

Faerie Alex

Incidentally, that car happens to be (or at least darn close to) the exact make, model, AND color of my family's car. :U (I'll give you a pic as soon as my web host decides to behave.) EDIT: Pic for you.

I am, however, moderately intrigued that it doesn't return a result from the Society of Mathematicians, Physicists and Astronomers of Slovenia. (Whose Wikipedia article doubts the deletedness of our DMFA's article.)
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Pagan

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 28, 2008, 09:16:41 AM
on a not very related note SAIA really exists, its a trucking company.... or rather its disguised AS a trucking company....

I've seen one of their trucks near my place, it made me giggle so.
Is it odd that the comic, the links page of the comic, and even the radio project got higher results than that company?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Faerie Alex

Okies, real criticism time. What I've noticed from my few minutes of experience, and I don't like this, is that it seems averse to top pages. For instance, I searched for "card model" as in paper models, although I do expect to find a certain amount of results coming from computer cards. As a test, I did the same thing with Google. Results:
Cuil's results
Google's results
You'll notice (or at least, I do) that most if not all of Google's results come from a top page, or the highest common directory relating to my search terms. Cuil, however, seems to actually be trying to pull the most specific pages it can find. And they're random, too. I did a search for DMFA just now...of the 11 links on the first page of results, the second now is the comic (although the link has the header from 19 October 2007) still with the car, the third is the Demonology 101 page on Mows, the third is the archives, etc. Pic of the results. I don't know what it's trying to do, but it's doing it wrong. :<
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Tiger_T

Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK