[SPOILERS] The Hulk (movie report)

Started by Gryphon, June 15, 2008, 02:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphon

If you take nothing else from this movie know this. It could have been worse. The movie stuck to what the hulk should do best. Complete and utter destruction.

That said there are two names in the opening credits you'll see that will make you cheer. Unfortunately you'll only see one of them actually in the movie.

Now on to the actual plot. In the middle of South America we find Bruce Banner meditating among other things to control his other half. It apparently works because he can take getting slapped around by a martial artist and not kill anyone. He's got a crappy job, a woman friend, a dog and some hope.

Of course nothing ever lasts and a little blood spill later and the "good guys" figure out where old Bruce Banner has been hiding. Too bad Stan Lee had to get gamma poisoned first. Ah well.

As can be expected even a strike team with a super special Russian trained in Britain can do very little against the incredible hulk. Try to play who is the bad guy? Little hint. Someone who shoots dogs is definitely not a good person. Bigger hint: It's Emil Blonsky.

Even though Bruce survived and is still free, he lost all his research data. Whelp. Nothing left but to get his ass back to good old US of A and get it back from the source itself. Unfortunately there is a small problem because guess what? The university got some security and there is no way that Bruce can muscle past silently. One hook up with an old friend and he's got a way in. A pizza delivery uniform and some bribes in the form of pizza.

Here is the second cameo of the movie. See that security guard? Yep it's him. Lou Ferrigno. Yes. I'll wait for a few seconds. Yep. Old guard meets new guard.

Unfortunately all the data and even his own personal file are missing from the system. By the way if it isn't obvious its been years since he's been here. I'm just surprised that no one has changed the password since then.

Now enters the love of his life Betsy Ross. They see each other, he runs away, she catches him. Touching.

Meanwhile Emil pressures the General that he needs more... power. General Ross hooks him up with some super soldier serum. I know what you are thinking but there is no actual proof its the same one used by Captain America. So we'll call it blue dye number 38.

In an assault against the Hulk it appears that whatever it is works wonders. He is able to survive for quite a bit against the Hulk. Until the Hulk breaks every single bone in his body but at least he survived longer than most people head to head with the Hulk.

The Hulk, having saved Betsy from near death, heads off to New York to effect a cure from a scientist who says that he COULD cure him. And you know what? It does work. It turns the Hulk back into Bruce Banner. Of course the only reason that this worked out is because the serum is the byproduct of a mass culture and testing from Bruce's original blood sample. Before Bruce could convince the scientist to destroy all the samples he gets taken down with a tranq shot.

While the Hulk is getting airlifted away, Emil finds himself desiring more POWER. So in addition to some blue dye he wants to add some compound with 15.6% strength Hulk Juice. Thus is born the "Abomination." Incidentally the "Leader" was also created as well by accident. But since we don't see him at all for the rest of the movie we could guess that he had a brain anurism and died.

Empowered with rage Emil goes completely nuts in New York City. And there is only one being powerful enough to stop him.

Thus this sets up the final bit of the movie. A one on one battle between the Hulk and the Abomination.

When its all said and done we come more or less full circle with Bruce Banner as we see him meditating. However in the beginning where all he was doing was suppressing the Hulk, here is is actually controlling the Hulk.

Finally the moment some of us were waiting for. General Ross is downing shots of some dubious green alcohol when in comes the man some of us were waiting to see. And guess what folks? More fuel for the fire for the Avengers!

Now for the thoughts on this movie. Whoever made this movie had to have played the video game. Most of the big moves are pretty much ripped from Hulk Ultimate Destruction. 

There are several distinct nods to the comics that those in the know will enjoy. Purple spandex pants, his trademark statement and a slight re-imaging of the sequence from the Ultimates that brings the Hulk  back from the drugged body of Bruce Banner. Not to mention cameo's from several distinguished people.

To be perfectly honest I rather have watched Kung Fu Panda. But this is a good second choice as it is a solid action movie.

King Of Hearts

ya may wanna put some spoiler tags on the title.

[SPOILERS]

I liked Hulk, it was almost as good as Iron man. which should be the case as to keep the momentum going until the Avengers movie in 2011.

nice that they did dwell on the origin story.

Leader's set up was nice for the inevitable sequel. Not to mention Abomination is still in play for a return for a sequel of the Avengers movie.

Supersoldier Emil vs Hulk was a good fight, I liked it better than the Hulk vs Abomination fight. Skill vs strength and all that. THAT is how Cap America should fare against Hulk... ya hear me Jeph Loeb!?

Lotsa references on this movie... Stark Industries building Ross weapons, Nick Fury's dossier, as mentioned Lou Ferrigno and the TV hulk origin set up... even the TV ending theme was used in one scene, The Super Soldier Project and allusions to Captain America, etc.

And I keep hearing stories of cameos by Spidey and Daredevil albeit as silhouettes... cant say Ive seen hair or hide of these claims and I was on a look out the whole rumble in NY.

Darkmoon

Quote from: King Of Hearts on June 15, 2008, 09:44:32 AM
ya may wanna put some spoiler tags on the title.

[SPOILERS]

Gryphon, it's the issue we've had with your reviews time an again. If you're going to write a review, it should actually have the emphasis on review. What you write is a spoiler filled movie report.

I'm retitling this and closing the thread. My suggestion to you is to go read actual movie review. Try http://movies.ign.com/index/reviews.html for examples.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Goatmon

Quote from: King Of Hearts on June 15, 2008, 09:44:32 AM
Supersoldier Emil vs Hulk was a good fight, I liked it better than the Hulk vs Abomination fight. Skill vs strength and all that. THAT is how Cap America should fare against Hulk... ya hear me Jeph Loeb!?

Haha, I keep hearing other people mention this, and it's so true.

I hadn't really thought about it, but other folks are pointing out how the Emil vs Hulk fight is what we'll probably be seeing in the upcoming Avengers film. 

Also, I really need to figure out how to make proper gif images and add a button mashing sequence, ala God of War, to the end of the film when Hulk gets ahold of Abomination. 

Darkmoon

llearch n'n'daCorna

I wondered about that, but didn't want to jog your elbow... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

Eh, I prolly wouldn't have ever noticed if someone hadn't posted in it.