The Incredible Hulk: An actual review. (*Spoilers*)

Started by Goatmon, June 15, 2008, 08:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goatmon

Went with a few friends yesterday afternoon to see good "Mr. Green".  I had some hopes, and I was not disappointed. 

I was originally skeptical of the idea of another Hulk film but, once I learned they had brought Edward Norton on board, my fears were washed away.  I'm glad that my faith wasn't misplaced.  Norton was excellent on camera, and filled the role of Banner flawlessly.  I honestly didn't expect anything less from the man;  He's a superb actor. 

The rest of the cast played their roles just fine, although Liv Tyler was a little dull on screen.  I don't think it was really her fault, though.  I think the way her role was written out, her part came across more as a prop in the film that existed only to create an emotional conflict with Banner, rather than giving her character a purpose of her own here.

Tim Roth was very good as Emil Blonksy, and I found all of his scenes entertaining, from the simple speaking roles to his fights with the Hulk. 

And on that subject, I should say that the action found here was nothing short of excellence on behalf of Marvel Studios.  They've really gone all out with their films; It's top notch work, and it shows.  The glaringly obvious CGI that is The Hulk doesn't seem nearly as out of place as I had expected.  The combat, rich with explosions and smashing galore, was a whole lot of yummy eye candy.  He looked very cool fighting Abomination, and the Car Fists was crazy awesome.

The early fight when Blonksy (pumped up on Super Soldier formula) takes on the Hulk and holds his own was very fun to watch because not only was it flashy and fast-paced, but the movements were fluid and very natural-looking, and didn't seem out of place in any way which made it that much more memorable. 

Lastly, I enjoyed all of the little homages to the classic Hulk stuff.  Things like the Hulk clap, the stomp, and the unforgettable "HULK SMASH!" were all great.  I knew that Ferrigno was included as the Hulk's voice this time around, but what surprized me was his cameo as the security guard.  I was a little impressed at how healthy he looks for a man pushing 60.  Also, that snippet of The Lonely Man during Bruce's time travelling through Central America was a nice touch.

There were other little things about it I liked, but I couldn't possibly condense them all without making the post far too big.  All in all I'd rate the film up there with Iron Man.  It was, in a word, Incredible. 

And that's all I have to say for now.   =)

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Alondro

Quote from: Goatmon on June 15, 2008, 08:34:31 PM

I knew that Ferrigno was included as the Hulk's voice this time around, but what surprized me was his cameo as the security guard.  I was a little impressed at how healthy he looks for a man pushing 60.

My dad's 61 and he certainly doesn't look it.   I've seen people in their 40's that look far older than he does.  Same with my mom.  She's 60.

But then, we're in NJ, and we have likely been exposed to gamma radiation and toxins all our lives... just don't make us angry.   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif