But I ain't never seen a cubi fly (Question!)

Started by Ry, June 08, 2008, 09:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ry

Are cubi wings actually functional for flight?  I haven't been able to find anything in the wiki or forum.

Dan couldn't use his wings when he first met Jyrras, but demons (and presumably angels) can fly with theirs as soon as they get them, and they're about the same size as cubi wings.

I don't remember seeing a cubi fly in the comic, or any reference to the wings being useful beyond the tentacles.

Edit: Also, Aaryanna never mentioned flight in how handy backwings are in flight.  Does this mean their only use is extra limbs, and the 2nd and 3rd set are just for decoration and possibly status?

Lucheek

I don't see any reason they couldn't fly. But with Warp Aci...what is the point?

And besides, wasn't there a comic that explained why lots of creatures didn't fly...?

Something with a jet?

Ry

Yeah, but I was wondering if the ability was there.  I mean, jets didn't always exist (I assume) and I'm sure flight was useful at one point.

As for Warp Aci:
QuoteSummoning forth a Warp-Aci is tricky work where the summoner must send out a beacon through a portal of dark mist into the magical realm they exist in. If the summoner is skilled or lucky enough, a curious Aci will respond and attempt to enter the dimension.
[...]
Most races don't bother summoning Warp-Aci as they tend to be finicky creatures.
I can't imagine, from that description, all cubi are able to grab one up, especially when they're young.

Sunblink

I do not have an answer to your question, unfortunately, but I do want to know if the title for your thread was a Dumbo reference. XD Because it made me smile.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Ry

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on June 08, 2008, 10:54:01 PM
I do not have an answer to your question, unfortunately, but I do want to know if the title for your thread was a Dumbo reference. XD Because it made me smile.

~Keaton the Black Jackal
It was.  I haven't seen the movie in years and I still remember that bit.    :erk

Shadrok

Quote from: Lucheek on June 08, 2008, 10:04:25 PM
I don't see any reason they couldn't fly. But with Warp Aci...what is the point?

And besides, wasn't there a comic that explained why lots of creatures didn't fly...?

Something with a jet?

"And that's why we don't fly"

I doubt its just a fear of death thing either, but rather the annoyance factor.

Like with a fae if they were hit "Aw man I just had my hair done." or in a demon's case "oh you did not just try and hit me" *holds part of the plane's severed wing*

That's what I think could be the reason most don't fly. Then again they could have just been referring that they don't fly that airline.

AmigaDragon

I never noticed the falling feathers in the last panel before, that tells me it was a "see what he's doing?" thing rather than just story telling to explain.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

kaskar

8)  Well, Dan kept jumping off a cliff with Jyrass in this youth, just for the thrill of it. With Dan, that's a start ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

SpottedKitty

Quote from: kaskar on June 09, 2008, 02:18:03 AM
With Dan, that's a start ...
It's a start, yes. But did he ever get round to step two? Throw yourself at the ground, and miss...
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

kaskar

8)  Well put ...  That's the hard part.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I believe that the second set may or may not have anything to do with flight. 'Cubi, it should be said, have other alternatives to flight.

By the time you reach tri-wing status, those other alternatives have become better alternatives. See Fa'Lina heading out to see Dan, for example. Why fly when you can teleport?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Omega

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 09, 2008, 03:41:36 AM
I believe that the second set may or may not have anything to do with flight. 'Cubi, it should be said, have other alternatives to flight.

By the time you reach tri-wing status, those other alternatives have become better alternatives. See Fa'Lina heading out to see Dan, for example. Why fly when you can teleport?
Why to ride a bike when you can take a car?
A: Enjoy the scenery.
B: You get exercises while getting to your destination.
C: Some people like doing it.

The real reason why Cubi's don't fly, is that it's much easier for amber to draw and plan her world. It's a fictional world and no matter how much you people like to speculate it, the tree sap artist has the final word. They don't fly, because it's not practical to make them fly. It hasn't served any purpose.

kaskar

8) I just wonder, would Dan have enough brains and concentration to teleport ?

llearch n'n'daCorna

kaskar

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ren Gaulen

After reading the posts in this thread I have come to a conclusion: Cubi do fly... when we are not watching.

kaskar

Ry

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on June 09, 2008, 05:07:37 AM
After reading the posts in this thread I have come to a conclusion: Cubi do fly... when we are not watching.
:D Fair enough.  ^^

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Ry on June 09, 2008, 01:51:20 PM
Quote from: Ren Gaulen on June 09, 2008, 05:07:37 AM
:D Fair enough.  ^^
That makes a lot of sense actually - I am pretty sure that if 'Cubi(or actually, any winged creature) can fly, he or she will, at least for recreation. Now, you probably don't see such creatures flying for every day stuff, just as most people take a car to work, when they could walk or bike.

Also, as pointed out in #263, one has to be careful where one flies, and watch out for other flying objects - As such, I think you might see a few places around furrae where Creatures can fly without risk of being sucked into a jet engine or crushed on some other flying thing.

In conclusion, I figure that Creatures who can fly will use teleportation(Hey, instant travel between two points... its going to be used quite a bit), griffins and other standard methods of travel for every day usage, and only fly in an emergency or for recreation.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

AmigaDragon

In general, I suppose most beings and creatures in Furrae aren't in the big hurry that humans are and so the need for cars, trucks, busses, etc isn't so great.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Auron

Flight and better alternatives...
1. Teleporting.
2. Warp ACI, see 1.
3. Staying home.
4. Gaint Griffon Mecha!! (Make it bigger!!!)

Kibin

It might be possible to rig up a device to let you talk with flight control. That would solve the jet engine problem quite nicely.

Slowtini

-wonders how many cubi have flown up to the upper atmosphere, only to pass out due to lack of oxygen-

...CUBI IN SPACE! Coming this fall!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Slowtini on June 11, 2008, 02:41:16 PM
-wonders how many cubi have flown up to the upper atmosphere, only to pass out due to lack of oxygen-
Not all 'Cubi need to breathe.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ry

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 11, 2008, 03:38:23 PM
Quote from: Slowtini on June 11, 2008, 02:41:16 PM
I thought that was sleep/eat.  Or is that true, too. o_o  could they survive the vacuum of space or crushing pressure of the deep ocean?  The possibilities would be endless!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ry on June 11, 2008, 04:18:18 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 11, 2008, 03:38:23 PM
I thought that was sleep/eat.  Or is that true, too. o_o  could they survive the vacuum of space or crushing pressure of the deep ocean?  The possibilities would be endless!

Courtesy of the Wiki:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,2262.msg93701.html#msg93701

"Sleep is usually the first to go, followed by food, then water, breathing tends to go out last, but even then most still do it out of habit and because it makes talking a whole lot easier."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ry

Oooh, I see.  ^^;  It's hard to search the forums sometimes... :<

Did Amber mention if that was what the fuzzy bubbles (like Ink's and that one Cubi) indicate, talking without breathing?  All I saw was talk about tri-wings.

Tezkat

Quote from: Ry on June 12, 2008, 01:35:08 AM
Did Amber mention if that was what the fuzzy bubbles (like Ink's and that one Cubi) indicate, talking without breathing?  All I saw was talk about tri-wings.

Ink's character has distinctive vocal effects (which he originally described as something like a "fading echo" when he speaks). In the Radio Project, we used reverse reverb.

Don't know what Amber intended for Mal's voice, but it probably indicates similarly unnatural vocal qualities.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Ry

Quote from: Tezkat on June 12, 2008, 04:12:14 AM
Ink's character has distinctive vocal effects (which he originally described as something like a "fading echo" when he speaks). In the Radio Project, we used reverse reverb.

Don't know what Amber intended for Mal's voice, but it probably indicates similarly unnatural vocal qualities.

Mab doesn't have weird bubbles, does she?