Ask the All Purpose Fox - Enterprise!

Started by Kenji, January 18, 2008, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkdragon

Aside from going to a random name generator, which rarely produces good results, how does one come up with good, memorable a priori fantasy names?

Gabi

I usually go with the first name that comes to my mind. Picture the charecter and the name just appears. I can't claim they're good and memorable, but it usually works.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Darkdragon

That is a suitable method when a name does some to mind, but what about the times which one doesn't?

e_voyager

Quote from: ShadesFox on January 18, 2010, 12:33:42 PM
First step, you join it.  Then you post stupid plans, say that you do things that make no sense in the context of  the RP, ignore all the history of the RP, and over all ruin the fun of everyone involved.

why does it feel like i've lived through that on this forum before? 
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Gabi

Quote from: Darkdragon on January 20, 2010, 11:32:49 AM
That is a suitable method when a name does come to mind, but what about the times which one doesn't?
You can search the web for unusual names with a certain meaning, or even use random name generators and see if any of the results - or a combination thereof - sounds right.

Quote from: e_voyager on January 20, 2010, 10:14:46 PM
First step, you join it.  Then you post stupid plans, say that you do things that make no sense in the context of  the RP, ignore all the history of the RP, and over all ruin the fun of everyone involved.
Perhaps you have. :rolleyes

ShadesFox

Quote from: Gabi on January 21, 2010, 02:39:41 PM
Quote from: e_voyager on January 20, 2010, 10:14:46 PM
First step, you join it.  Then you post stupid plans, say that you do things that make no sense in the context of  the RP, ignore all the history of the RP, and over all ruin the fun of everyone involved.
Perhaps you have. :rolleyes

Yea, I made that to be as generic as possible.  Apologies if I hit a nerve, didn't mean to in that reply.
The All Purpose Fox

theflanman

What is the square route of a shallot?
Where is the Abel yaoi?
I can has cheezburger?
What is the cosine of love?
And, on a more serious note, how should I come out to my friends?

Kenji

Quote from: theflanman on January 25, 2010, 08:25:35 PM
What is the square route of a shallot?
Where is the Abel yaoi?
I can has cheezburger?
What is the cosine of love?
And, on a more serious note, how should I come out to my friends?

Half shell.
Wherever your heart desires.
NO GET YOUR OWN! D:<   :smack
2xTheatre Tickets
With guns a blaring, cape on your back, and American Badass playing in the background.

Darkdragon

Gabi

Kenji

Quote from: Gabi on January 26, 2010, 10:56:26 AM
Quote from: Darkdragon on January 26, 2010, 03:59:52 AM
Why do people procrastinate?
Because it's easier than working.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing, but you know... stuff...

Darkdragon

Is it an axiom of society that people will always chose to do the easier of two tasks, given the ability to cope with the immediate consequences of the choice?

Gabi

Quote from: Darkdragon on January 27, 2010, 02:52:59 AM
Is it an axiom of society that people will always chose to do the easier of two tasks, given the ability to cope with the immediate consequences of the choice?
No. I mean, you can make it an axiom if it suits your purposes, but it doesn't always work like that. If someone really wants to do something, s/he is likely to do it even if it implies an effort. Sometimes you can cope with the consequences of not doing something, but doing it is a lot more rewarding.

Mao

Hmm, so what happens when the consequences always seem far more tolerable than the work itself and as equally rewarding?

Gabi

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 27, 2010, 07:45:16 AM
Hmm, so what happens when the consequences always seem far more tolerable than the work itself and as equally rewarding?
Then I believe most people wouldn't do it. There are all kinds of people, though, so someone still might. For example, there are those who enjoy making sacrifices because they believe it makes them better or more deserving of respect or something, and they don't understand why others do not appreciate all the trouble they go through.

e_voyager

i have a forum problem and need a mode. who's the most helpful to ask?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Zedd

Is there a medical way to stop excessive saliva produce that wont result in any sort of bodily harm in the process? 

Darkdragon

What is reality? If we are only living in a simulation, which world is more real: this one or the one where we exist in a simulation?

Gabi

Quote from: e_voyager on February 03, 2010, 07:55:01 PM
i have a forum problem and need a mode. who's the most helpful to ask?
A mode? A mode of what? Nevermind, this isn't the right place for forum questions anyway. Damaris may smite us just for listening to such a question. (Disclaimer: I may or may not be joking.)

Quote from: Zedd on February 04, 2010, 05:19:51 AM
Is there a medical way to stop excessive saliva produce that wont result in any sort of bodily harm in the process? 
See a dentist.

Quote from: Darkdragon on February 04, 2010, 11:34:36 PM
What is reality? If we are only living in a simulation, which world is more real: this one or the one where we exist in a simulation?
Those are very ambiguous questions. It's a matter of perspective: any answer may apply. So... fish.

Darkdragon

If this statement is true, does that mean the Arab-Israeli tension will resolve itself soon?

Zedd

When boy meets World,it's very explanatory and a somewhat reasonable tv series. How come we never hear about Girl meets Moon?

Kenji

Quote from: Zedd on February 20, 2010, 04:59:12 AM
When boy meets World,it's very explanatory and a somewhat reasonable tv series. How come we never hear about Girl meets Moon?

It's actually a sub show on the news. They have it filed under "molestation" and "flashings".

Gabi

Quote from: Darkdragon on February 20, 2010, 04:49:54 AM
If this statement is true, does that mean the Arab-Israeli tension will resolve itself soon?
I wish. Sadly, I don't think so. There are too many people with power who don't want it to be resolved.

Note: I don't see the connection between that and the statement in question.

Darkdragon

Quote from: Gabi on February 20, 2010, 01:50:31 PM
Note: I don't see the connection between that and the statement in question.
It doesn't matter. In formal logic, the sentence is true when the conditions are true and the conclusion must follow, regardless of exactly what the statements are. The conditional "if" doesn't take into account the situation where the condition is impossible - if so, the statement is a vacuous truth (Compare: If Al Gore won the 2004 US presidential election, then the effects of global warming would be vastly reduced) and not a falsehood*. Notice in the example I could have replaced "the effects of global warming would be vastly reduced" with "balls of fire will rain from the sky" and the statement, from a perfectly logical point of view, would be true.

* In some not-so-classical philosophies, it is valid to assign an indeterminate truth value to a statement, but that leads to a whole slew of complex logical consequences also. 

Do you understand why the connection is irrelevant?

Tiger_T

Darkdragon will be on fire, IF I light up the canister of fuel that I just spread out around her.

Sounds logical, no? >:]
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Darkdragon

Her? What have I done to have you think I'm female?

Tiger_T

Whoops. It's a 50/50 chance in guessing. *remembers where he is and that he's supposed to know stuff*

Err... I mean.. I just wanted to mock you.. Yeah, that's it.

I think I shouldn't post that late at night. :rolleyes
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Gabi

Darkdragon: what you said can be easily summarized as "False=>anything = true" which, in turn, only backs your claim if the left statement is false. You don't need so many words to explain a basic concept of propositional logic.

So, to answer your question, of course I understand. >_> And you're still missing a false statement in your original attempt at a trivially true implication.

Darkdragon

In my experience, I usually need a whole paragraph to explain False => P = True. You seem to be an exception.

The whole point of "If P, then Q" is that it is possible to establish that the only way to falsify the statement is if P was true and Q does not follow (Hence the digression on False => P = True, because there is no way to falsify the statement). Taking the contrapositive, if the statement is true, then Q must follow P.

Somehow, we've agreed that "If the statement is true, P => Q". P = "this statement is true", which we've agreed on, and thus the statement boils down to "P, P => Q. Therefore, Q".

Sorry on not being clear in my original, and for being verbose. What suggestions can the APFs give to combat my unconventional writing style?

Gabi

Following conventions isn't compulsory, but if you're having trouble communicating, you can try interacting with others more, and reading other people's posts.